Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Another delightful "review my itinerary" thread.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2008, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Aren't grandparents great? Of course they are. Especially ones that make savings accounts for you. So yes, yes, save half in a high-interest account for sensible things like house deposits and unexpected bills and oh god I'm boring myself.

But what kind of a 21-year-old would I be if I didn't spend the other half on this....my six weeks in Japan. Here's the Japlan:

8 days in Tokyo - including a trip to Hakone. A week is a lot, but there's just so much I want to see and do.
2 days in Nikko - hiking, and seeing shrines.
1 day in Kanazawa - just looking around.
1 day in Takayama - ditto.
2 days in Kamikochi - hiking, and taking in the mountain scenery.
1 day in Matsumoto - looking around.
1 day in Magome/Tsumago - and the hike between.
2 days in Nagoya - including a daytrip to Iga Ueno, and its ninja museum.
2 days in Inuyama - comorant fishing, and the big museum there.
2 days in Ise - the famous shrines, and a daytrip to some of the small towns on the coast.
3 days in Kyoto - exploring.
2 days in Hiroshima - the museums.
2 days in Fukuoka - looking round, nightlife.
1 day in Kagoshima - look around, see the volcano
2 days on Yakushima - plus a day either end for travel. Hiking.
2 days in Kumamoto - see the castle, and the city.
1 day in Nagasaki - look around.
3 days in Osaka, including a day trip to Nara.

That's it! You can tell, can't you? I've been one of those guys who gets obsessed with the guidebooks, and travel website like this one. If I have as much fun on this trip as I've had planning it, I'll be happy.

So I'd appreciate any comments, ideas, advice, or anything. Cheers.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 5:03 am

What time of year?

What happened to Hokkaido?

Your itinerary seems heavily weighted towards Kyushu and doesn't explore Northern Japan at all. In addition to Hokkaido, what about Miyagi or Aomori. Of course, time of year could put limits on where you want to travel.

Marc
Old Feb 23, 2008, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Sorry yeah, I should have mentioned. I'm going in May/June. I know that means I'm probably going to encounter the rainy season, but I'm okay with that.

I left off Hokkaido and Shikoku because, although I knew I wanted to get off Honshu, I didn't want to spend way too much time on trains. Also, I heard that some of the attractions on Hokkaido are a little difficult to get to if you can't rent a car.

So you think Hokkaido's worth it?
Old Feb 23, 2008, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA (former CO), TrueBlue, Etc.
I think you're going to get some people's personal opinions in the way here...but I'm about to contribute mine. (By the way, are you traveling alone or with friends?)

First, Nikko is a day trip, unless you're going to hike. Since it looks like you're hiking, I'd recommend doing the backwards version - walking from (i think) Kegon Falls to Yumoto Onsen (it may be Ryuzu Falls, but if you like hiking, you should make sure to pick up Lonely Planet's Hiking in Japan). It's uphill the whole way, but it's worth it when you get to the top and can rest your feet in the onsen - then just take the bus back down. Other than that, the shrines and temples in Nikko can be done in a couple of hours - it's beautiful, but I kind of felt I should have brought my friends for an overnight in Hakone.

From that, of course, you can probably guess that I suggest an overnight in Hakone. Walking the course can be done in a day, and it's not that exciting at night - but the museums and other activities are pretty impressive, and there are some very inexpensive and pleasant onsen hotel at which you can stay in the area. (Personally, I heart Hakone, way more than Nikko.)

I think you're right on the money with a day in Nagasaki, you can see all the important things in a day. I'm a little surprised by the splitting of Osaka and Kyoto - are you flying out of KIX? I'd recommend you do those days together. First, they're only 20 minutes or so apart on the train, so you can stay in Kyoto and still do time in Osaka without a problem.

Fukuoka is another one where I think you may want to spend an extra day - you'll probably meet other foreigners and it's definitely a happening city. I'm not so sure about Hiroshima (but, as I said, you're getting everyone's own prejudices here - I know what I like, but not what you like). It may be worth it to stop in Hiroshima on the way "down" and stop back and look at Miyajima on the way "up," on your current schedule.

In any case, you're going to have a great time in Japan. I would, however, make sure that you're doing time around the same areas - hence my "Osaka/Kyoto" combo.

(I've never been to Hokkaido, but I understand Sapporo to be easily accessible and there are, of course, buses.)
Old Feb 23, 2008, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your extremely useful post.

I'm travelling alone. I haven't done anything this long on my own before, but I've been away for a few days sans friends, and had a blast. I also speak little bits of basic Japanese - when I go, I'll have done a year's part-time class. I reckon I'll be fine in Japan, meeting people at hostels, and so on.

....which is why I'm tempted to extend my Fukuoka stay, as you suggested. I should take advantage of the big cities, and their larger friend-making opportunities, when I can.

I'm definitely going to do some hiking in Nikko, I've heard there's some very interesting short ones in the area, and longer ones around Lake Chuzenji, and Yumoto, as you said. That book sounds like a winner.

The reason for splitting up Kyoto and Osaka was because I'm going to be travelling almost exclusively by train. So, if I'm in Kyushu, I've got to travel that way, whether I fly from Osaka, or Narita. Rather than going all that way from Kyushu, I thought I'd leave an unexplored city up there in Honshu, to be my big finish.

I've just been reading about Miyajima - I hadn't found that place in my books already, so thanks! I'm definitely going to spend a day there.

Cheers again for your time!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.