Now I REALLY feel safe

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2008, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WWMFD
Now I REALLY feel safe

Radar Failure Disrupts Flight Schedules in Japan, Kyodo Says

By Tak Kumakura

Feb. 19 (Bloomberg) -- Flight schedules in Japan were disrupted Monday afternoon because radar systems nationwide failed to indicate flight numbers and altitudes of aircraft for about an hour and 45 minutes through 6:13 p.m., Kyodo News Service said.

A total of 161 flights departing Haneda, Narita, Shin- Chitose, Chubu, Osaka, Kansai, Fukuoka and Naha airports were delayed for up to two hours, Kyodo said, citing officials of the control center and the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport. No flights were canceled.

The air traffic control center, in Tokorozawa, north of Tokyo, experienced system failures in 2003 and 2004, Kyodo said.

The flight disruptions came as transport ministry investigators reviewed a Feb. 16 incident in which a Japan Airlines jet with 446 passengers and crew aboard was ordered to abort an unauthorized takeoff at New Chitose Airport in Hokkaido as another plane was still on the runway, Kyodo said. The airline said the plane's pilot misunderstood an air traffic controller's instruction, the report said.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.