Search

going to japan

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2008, 3:54 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by japanflyer
so whats new
Japanflyer,

Please take this response in the spirit in which it is intended - as a helpful effort to get you on the right track to receive the help you seem to be requesting.

I could be wrong but you seem to be fairly young. At least, your posts have come across that way. I think you have a misunderstanding of what FlyerTalk and the Japan Forum are. Flyertalk is not some kind of chat room or IM service. The members of this forum are, for the most part, serious leisure and business travelers and a few expatriot residents of Japan. We attempt to provide real assistance to new or less experienced Japan travelers by using our experiences and collected knowledge in answering questions and offering suggestions to help those folks and to trade useful information among the users of this forum. Along the way, we also occasionally drift into humorous interludes and "inside jokes" among the regulars who have come to know each other through our message exchanges and "paid our dues" among the group.

No offense intended, but most of your postings have come off as some kind of chat room babble. You won't get much help that way and may very well just become the target of more jokes. If we have misunderstood you, that is regrettable. However, your method of posting makes it difficult to take you seriously.

If you have actual serious, specific questions about travel to Japan, please post them. Otherwise, you are just wasting your time.

JR
Old Feb 17, 2008, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

question

what other things can you see in japan other than temples and museums and night life?
Old Feb 17, 2008, 8:49 pm

Programs: AC Prestige, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, HHonors
Talking

Parks .. amusement parks... theres more to see than your eye can meet. Sometimes you'll just bump into what you like, literally.

Sanosuke!
Old Feb 17, 2008, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what other things can you see in japan other than temples and museums and night life?
JTB has a nice Sunrise Tour of a Toyota factory.....

You could always hang out on the Yamanote line during rush-hours, stopping in Shinjuku multiple times trying not to get lost.......

I'm sure people watching could occupy your time......

A 24HR Mangakisa might give you something to do, and it is relatively inexpensive and often comes with free drinks and massage.

Take Smidgen for a walk.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Take Smidgen for a walk.
This is a major event. We put him in a giant wicker basket and we walk up and down Ginza, causing a commotion wherever he goes. Most Japanese haven't seen a cat that large ever. Come to think of it, I don't think most Japanese have seen a dog that large either.

If Mrs. Pickles didn't mind so much, I could use him as pick-up bait, I'd have the ladies taking a number for service.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

amusement parks

really amusement parks do you know the names of the amusement parks?
Old Feb 17, 2008, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

another question

oh and lets say if i buy a computer down in japan do they go according to what its worth here for example if a computer is worth 900 dollars here would it be worth the same down there or something different and how much tax do i have to pay when i come back to the usa (does it go by the state i live in?)
Old Feb 17, 2008, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
oh and lets say if i buy a computer down in japan do they go according to what its worth here for example if a computer is worth 900 dollars here would it be worth the same down there or something different and how much tax do i have to pay when i come back to the usa (does it go by the state i live in?)
Japan has a lot of neat computers. However...

They're EXPENSIVE. Discounting like we have here is rare.

The operating systems and keyboards are in Japanese

Anything you buy there will be subject to 5% GST when you purchase it (you can get some of that back at NRT) and you will need to declare and pay (federal) Customs Duty on the purchase price. You will probably need to provide receipts. Your home state may have some kind of use tax that you may be liable for.

Unless you're looking for something very specific (such as a 10.4" laptop), you're probably better off purchasing your computer back in the US.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
really amusement parks do you know the names of the amusement parks?
Click here and scroll down to "Japan".
Old Feb 17, 2008, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

the purchase

but how do people in japan type in both japanese and english how do they do that?
Old Feb 17, 2008, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abraxis
Click here and scroll down to "Japan".
thank you this cleared that up for me
Old Feb 17, 2008, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

but how do people in japan type in both japanese and english how do they do that?
しらん!
Old Feb 18, 2008, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 日本flyer
I'm in London, I can do it too!

どうぞ

See this?

You push the button to the right of the space bar and everything you write comes out in Japanese characters.

Amazing, eh?

So, tell me, japanflyer, which of Japan's best hotels that you originally asked about ended up interesting you?

Remember? It was that first question you urged us repeatedly to help you with. 
Old Feb 18, 2008, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by LapLap
So, tell me, japanflyer, which of Japan's best hotels that you originally asked about ended up interesting you?

Remember? It was that first question you urged us repeatedly to help you with. 
I really have to tell Smidgen to stop signing up duplicate accounts and core-dumping his confused and fur-filled mind online.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pickles
I really have to tell Smidgen to stop signing up duplicate accounts and core-dumping his confused and fur-filled mind online.
If you wouldn't mind......greatly appreciated!
Regards to Smidgen,
QSG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.