Japan Cell Phone service suggestions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2008, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.

Im going to be in Tokyo for 4 months and was looking into getting a cell phone while im there. I know that they have a different cell system that is pretty much exclusive to japan.

Any tips on where to get a cheap phones since all the 3g models are extremely pricey like everything else in Japan? Or even a second hand?

As for the service...i know that docomo is one the biggest, but i can't seem to figure out the pricing it's all in Japanese..apparently they don't have prepaid service anymore? I also looked into a company called softbank...anyone know if they're reliable?

I was thinking of going for a prepaid service..but at 90 Yen/minute..thought i could get something cheaper by signing up for a plan then canceling and paying the termination fee..probably cheaper.

also, What would i need to sign up for a plan?

Thanks
Old Jan 26, 2008, 9:09 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Docomo billing plans: http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english/c...lan/index.html

AU billing plans: http://www.au.kddi.com/english/charg...win/index.html

Softbank billing plans: http://mb.softbank.jp/mb/en/price_plan/

I'm assuming you aren't a Japanese national. As a foreigner, you have to complete your alien registration before you can get a contract for a phone. It used to just be a simple matter of swiping your credit card, but now it's much more complicated (don't ask me why). So be sure to do that first.

I think all the providers still offer "one-yen" phones if you sign up for a one-year or two-year contract. I believe AU will let you take an old AU phone into their shop and convert it to a prepaid, although they might have stopped this service by now.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 9:47 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
For a stay of four months, I guess you will go through the rigmarole of registering as an alien. Once you do that, it's possible to get a phone contract.

The decision about what plan to take depends on how you want to use the phone. For example:

- Mostly for receiving calls. Occasionally making a short domestic call.
Prepay would be OK. You pay nothing for the incoming calls.

- Calling other mobiles and land lines in Japan, but not for long discussions
Maybe prepay or a subscription plan with a handful of minutes per month. If your friends have Softbank phones, then you could consider the Softbank White plan, wihch offers free calls to other Softbank numbers.

- Calling domestically and internationally
For international calls, I basically never use my mobile. But if your mobile is going to be your only phone here, then I suggest using calling cards or signing up for a service that allows cheap calls. If you want the absolute best quality of reception and the cost isn't really an issue, then I reckon that Willcom (PHS) offers the best sound quality. When I was using their phone for international calls, people in the US couldn't believe that I was on a cell phone, let alone that I was on a cell phone in Tokyo.

Last edited by jib71; Jan 26, 2008 at 9:52 pm
Old Jan 27, 2008, 2:30 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus - Blue / Emirates Skywards - Blue
After having completed Alien registration at City Hall ask for a Shoumeisho (certificate of Registered Matters). That plus passport will let you get a prepaid phone with ease.

I recommend Softbank over AU as you can send emails with Softbank where you can't with AU.

BEWEARE SIGNING A CONTRACT FOR SUCH A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME AS THERE ARE CANCELLATION CHARGES ASSOCIATED WITH TERMINATING A CONTRACT BEFORE THE MINIMUM TERM!!!!!.

-mrploddy
Old Jan 27, 2008, 4:59 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by mrploddy
I recommend Softbank over AU as you can send emails with Softbank where you can't with AU.
I send e-mails from my Au phone. I think all of the carriers can give you an email address with the carrier's domain.

... or perhaps you mean access to your existing email address via the phone?

Regarding contract minimum terms - just sign a contract without a minimum term. Initial fees will be higher, but no penalties for early cancellation.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 5:17 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus - Blue / Emirates Skywards - Blue
I was referring to prepaid phones. Prepaid softbank phones allow email, prepaid AU phones don't.

What sort of $$$ is it for a no minimum term contract? You need to put down 2 man for the phone don't you if you don't commit to a certain minimum period.

Softbank prepaid works out at about 7,800 for initial startup costs including the first 3,000 yen card.

-mrploddy
Old Jan 27, 2008, 8:17 am

A couple years ago, I got a bare-bones AU phone with a one-year contract (upfront cost 1 yen), used it for three months (summer internship) and then "suspended" the contract by paying something like 5,000 yen. I then reactivated the phone when I returned to Japan the following year, and kept the discount for the next seven months. Another option perhaps worth considering.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 9:38 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by aaron1262
a company called softbank...anyone know if they're reliable?
Softbank bought Vodafone Japan a few years ago and also owns Yahoo Japan.

Originally Posted by joejones
As a foreigner, you have to complete your alien registration before you can get a contract for a phone. It used to just be a simple matter of swiping your credit card, but now it's much more complicated (don't ask me why)
Japanese must also provide proof of their name and address. Rules are believed to have been changed after a prepaid phone was used by a kidnapper in a widely reported case some years ago. A typical knee-jerk reaction IMHO.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 10:52 am

If you sign up for a contract make sure you know exactly what you're getting into and a trustworthy Japanese speaker explains the cancellation penalty to you.

Someone from my office completely botched explaining my cell phone contract, and I wound up having to pay ~Y50,000 to cancel after 10 months I got the phone for Y1, but it would have been much cheaper to pay more upfront and not get hit with the cancellation penalty.

To add insult to injury, they wouldn't unlock my cell phone either, so I can still only use it with a Softbank sim.

Alex
Old Jan 27, 2008, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
after looking through all the plans i think im going for the softbank white plan. It's only about 9-10 US dollars per month. I'm a student studying abroad in japan...so if get the rest of my friends that are going to japan with me to sign up for the plan it's free mobile to mobile.between 1AM-9PM..sweet. if i needed to call other people on a land line it's only 40 yen/minute. That beats prepaid at something like 90 yen which is really high. Also, unlimited SMS to all other softbank mobile's for another 300 yen.

Why do they charge for calls between 9PM-1AM? Is there a high volume of calls during this period?
I'll have to pay a 5,000 yen cacellation fee though since the minimum contract is 6 months...not too bad. (IS THAT RIGHT?? According to the way i read the details). So i'll end up paying around $100 US for 4 months of service. Still a good deal..considering that everything in japan is expensive.

ANyone know how to find the pricing for the handsets? There's only the descriptions on the softbank website.

Also, is there a certain age i have to be in order to sign up for a plan? I'm only 19...

Thanks
Old Jan 27, 2008, 3:08 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by aaron1262
I'll have to pay a 5,000 yen cacellation fee though since the minimum contract is 6 months...not too bad. (IS THAT RIGHT?? According to the way i read the details).
I'm not so sure.

I've done some research because I'm interested in the White Plan myself as a replacement for a prepaid au mobile (contract in my mother’s name as I don't live in Japan). The website is not very upfront regarding fine print. I think the 5000 yen cancellation fee applies to people who change from a different Softbank contract to White Plan and it's not clear what the minimum contract period is or what the cancellation charges are. It does say you can hand the contract over to another eligible person (for a fee no doubt).

Some further reading seems necessary but looking at a site like this makes me angry. I don't think this type of marketing, which makes it very difficult for consumers to find and understand fine print, is allowed in some countries. Japan is not one of them and I don't think AlexS should blame his office colleague because companies such as Softbank (and I'm not suggesting they are the only one) deliberately make it very, very difficult for even native speakers to understand all the pitfalls.

ANyone know how to find the pricing for the handsets? There's only the descriptions on the softbank website.
Handsets are not cheap either. The cheapest I can find is 23,520 yen including tax (Softbank 707SCII by Samsung). Others are much, much more expensive. You might be able pick one up for less if you shop around.

Also, is there a certain age i have to be in order to sign up for a plan? I'm only 19...
The online application form says that those under the age of 20 cannot apply online, which suggests that if you are 19 you can probably apply in person. Also you'll need a bank account or a credit card, but I haven't been able to find out if it has to be a Japanese bank account or a Japanese credit card. Perhaps someone on this forum may know the answer.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlexS
If you sign up for a contract make sure you know exactly what you're getting into and a trustworthy Japanese speaker explains the cancellation penalty to you.

Someone from my office completely botched explaining my cell phone contract, and I wound up having to pay ~Y50,000 to cancel after 10 months I got the phone for Y1, but it would have been much cheaper to pay more upfront and not get hit with the cancellation penalty.

To add insult to injury, they wouldn't unlock my cell phone either, so I can still only use it with a Softbank sim.

Alex
My most recent AU contract stated that I should pay 9000 Yen
when if I quit before the end of a 2 year term. They also said the same thing when I took them up on 1/2 price offer and upgraded my plan!

If you should be in Bangkok there are many places that will unlock your phone for about 10 dollars. Just keep your eyes on the phone as they have a habit disappearing before your eyes.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
My most recent AU contract stated that I should pay 9000 Yen
when if I quit before the end of a 2 year term. They also said the same thing when I took them up on 1/2 price offer and upgraded my plan!
My plan had a (somewhat reasonable) Y10,000 "cancellation fee." The problem was there was also a prorated handset fee of something like Y3,000/month that I had to pay for the balance of the contract.

When I signed up, and asked the guy from my office who was helping me about cancellation fees, he only quoted the first figure, and didn't mention the handset fee

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
If you should be in Bangkok there are many places that will unlock your phone for about 10 dollars. Just keep your eyes on the phone as they have a habit disappearing before your eyes.
Unfortunately, it's a Sharp 904 which it doesn't seem like anyone has successfully unlocked. I love my iPhone, but the 904SH is a great phone, and I'd like to be able to use it here. Even more unfortunate is that I won't be in BKK anytime soon--it's freezing here in NY, and you just reminded me of the great time I had there last spring!

Alex
Old Jan 27, 2008, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
The online application form says that those under the age of 20 cannot apply online, which suggests that if you are 19 you can probably apply in person. Also you'll need a bank account or a credit card, but I haven't been able to find out if it has to be a Japanese bank account or a Japanese credit card. Perhaps someone on this forum may know the answer.
The language on the Japanese website is ambiguous but seems to say that parental consent is required for minors (which means under 20 in Japan). See: http://mb.softbank.jp/scripts/japane...?oid=537122588

If you have a friend or contact who is 20 or older, ask if they can get the phone in their name. It is possible to have the contract in someone else's name but make the payments from your own credit card. Host families are usually pretty accommodating about this.

You can use a foreign credit card to pay, but if you are paying by bank account it has to be a Japanese account since foreign accounts are not wired into the Japanese bank transfer system.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by joejones
The language on the Japanese website is ambiguous but seems to say that parental consent is required for minors (which means under 20 in Japan). See: http://mb.softbank.jp/scripts/japane...?oid=537122588
Yes, that sounds like the information OP needs. It also talks about the need for an "inkan" (personal seal). Do they accept signature if you are non-Japanese?

For a new contract there is a registration fee of 2,835 yen, but I still cannot figure out if there is a minimum contract period.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.