Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3rd Visit to Japan, Now What

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2008, 11:16 am
Original Poster

3rd Visit to Japan, Now What

Alright, so I have a 3 week, 3 stop vacation coming up the middle of march. The first stop is a week in Japan. This will be our third visit to Japan. We've done Tokyo, we've done Kyoto. I think I enjoyed Kyoto more than Tokyo, just on a purely less rushed walking tour sort of level. So I guess my question is, if you had a week to spend, where would you go?

Only requirements is we will be arriving and departing from NRT. I don't have an issue hopping a plane or train from NRT.

(For those interested, my other stops are SIN and HNL).
Old Jan 16, 2008, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How about Kanazawa?

Wasn't bombed during WWII so has some well preserved districts. Famous for its cuisine (Kaga Ryori) with excellent seafood. Has what is considered to be the most beautiful garden in Japan (Kenrokuen) and is definitely at the top of on my own list of places I want to go to in Japan.

http://www.kanazawa-kankoukyoukai.gr...a_e/index.html

If you drive you could combine a visit here to the mountains and/or the noto peninsular

Last edited by LapLap; Jan 16, 2008 at 12:02 pm
Old Jan 16, 2008, 11:56 am

I just posted on another forum about this... Will copy part of it here... with a bit of censorship... lol

Sendai
Typical things to do there = nothing much to do there
Unless u go in early August for the biggest Tanabata festival celebration

Day trip from Sendai
Matsushima - one of the three sights in Japan pine tree islands
Akiu - known for its hotsprings (onsen)
Zao - a crater filled with water

Sidenote: At Matsushima, remember to try their grilled beef tongue... Sound quite disgusting... But it is yummy... And of course, dont forget their seafood, esp. oysters...
The last time I was at Akiu, I stayed at Sakan Ryokan Traditional Japanese hotel Dressed in their yukata Soaked in various pools They even have one outdoor pool and one that is shared by men and women But be warned... Women who are there in the mixed pool are generally obasan (old ladies)... Dinner is usually served in your own room Great spread of traditional Japanese food
Old Jan 16, 2008, 12:04 pm

Depending upon the time of the year and your inclinations...

try Hokkaido, a laid back, different view of Japan....

Historical Villages
Ainu Indigenous folk museums/sites
( very interesting history and myths )
Volcanic/Lake sites
Skiing/Snowboarding
Ice/Snow Festival
Sapporo Beer Museum
Great seafood ( try hairy crab )
Old Jan 16, 2008, 12:26 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Ok, I'll add to the confusion.

I really enjoyed my recent visit to Shikoku and would recommend a few days wandering there. Kochi was a lot of fun and Takamatsu has another of the most impressive garden/parks in Japan as well as a nice outdoor folk museum.

If you haven't gone further west than Kyoto, try Hiroshima/Miyajima and even a run down to Kyushu - or the aforementioned Shikoku. If you really want to get off the beaten tourist track, go over to the San-in coast of the Sea of Japan. Matsue and Izumo-Taisha are worth a visit and don't see nearly as many foreigners as the eastern cities.

There are lots of very worthwhile places to visit and enjoy outside of the major cities in Japan.

JR
Old Jan 16, 2008, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Some of my favorite places:

I second the vote for Kanazawa. I especially recall the central marketplace and the so-called "Ninja Temple," which is full of all sorts of booby traps and hiding places. The tour is in Japanese, but the guide demonstrates all the tricks, and the non-Japanese speaking American couple who were on the same tour said that they had enjoyed it.

Near Kanazawa is Niigata, not much in itself, but the jumping off point for the ferry to Sado Island, a good destination for history buffs.

If you want mountain scenery, Nagano is a good place to go. It's a pleasant walkable city with a surprising amount of older architecture in its center.

In central Japan are Hida-Takayama, an old center of arts and crafts and the site of a reconstructed traditional village, and the village of Tsumago, which is an authentically preserved post town from the 18th century.

Hiroshima is worth seeing, of course, and Nagasaki, although it seems much less fixated on its atomic bombing, is a friendly, attractive city of interest because of its long-standing position as the only port open to foreign ships for nearly 150 years. (When I lived in Japan in the 1970s, I used to see travel posters for Nagasaki advertising such "exotic" features as brick houses and Catholic churches). Nearby Kumamoto is the gateway to the Aso volcano.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 4:54 pm

I was in Sapporo about a year ago for a conference and really enjoyed my time there. Totally unique and beautiful city, lots to see, do and eat. There are at least a couple flights/day from NRT...
Old Jan 16, 2008, 5:02 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hey, don't forget the tomb of Jesus Christ in Herai (Shingo), combined with visits to Lake Towada and Oirase mountain stream. In other words, there's always a "quirky Japan" tour.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by LapLap
How about Kanazawa?

Wasn't bombed during WWII so has some well preserved districts. Famous for its cuisine (Kaga Ryori) with excellent seafood. Has what is considered to be the most beautiful garden in Japan (Kenrokuen) and is definitely at the top of on my own list of places I want to go to in Japan.

http://www.kanazawa-kankoukyoukai.gr...a_e/index.html

If you drive you could combine a visit here to the mountains and/or the noto peninsular
I did a trip to Kanazawa and the Noto Peninsula. I second all the positive things about Kanazawa. The food is fantastic there and in Noto. There are also some great ryokan in both places.

You can take a bus from Kanazawa (or some departure point near Kanazawa...I forgot) that goes through the Noto Peninsula to Wajima and stops at many of the historically interesting places. Wajima is famous for lacquerware and the morning market. I've had one of my best Japanese meals ever at a Ryokan there. When I was in Wajima, I also hired a taxi to take me to some nearby sites I read about in "Gateway to Japan" (my favorite guidebook). We visited the Sen Maeda (terraced rice fields) and a 19th century country farmhouse that was also a small museum focused on history of the area. We had the museum all to ourselves.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 11:01 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
I would skip Hokkaido in March, as the snow is likely to be lingering there and will still be deep on the north side. Hokkaido is best enjoyed in the summer when the nature is out in full view (unless you're into winter sports of course). Tohoku (Sendai etc.) will likely be in a late-winter doldrum where nothing is blooming but it's still cold. Kyushu and Hiroshima would both be good choices, though.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 11:57 am

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Hmm. I'd spend some time in Kyushu. Start in Hakata/Fukuoka and go once around the island. Visit Kumamoto on the way down to Kagoshima and hike Sakura-jima, a smoking active volcano. Then swing around the other side of the island. Beppu is a hot springs resort town; a bit touristed out but has nice onsen.

And don't forget to eat! The pork is good out there and the ramen is better! ^
Old Jan 17, 2008, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I'm starting to research the areas now and see what matches up with my interests. By the way, does anyone have an english speaking tour/guides for some of these area? In the past I've opted to do a day with Johnny Hillwalker in Kyoto ^. Are these the kind of areas where you'll find formal tours, or should I consider some of the volunteer groups?
Old Jan 17, 2008, 8:00 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion (ending in Feb/15), UA, Priority Club, Hilton, Marriott, Starwood
I recommend my home, Tokyo

After you've seen the usualAsakusa, Ginza, and ShinjukuI'd recommend YaNeSen (http://flickr.com/search/?q=YaNeSen&w=all) and other old parts, before they disappear entirely as victims of "progress."

For day trips out of Tokyo:
* Hakone and Mt Fuji by Odakyu Railway
* Nikko by Tobu Railway

Final suggestion: Troll Flickr groups and see what piques your interest.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maynard_hogg
After you've seen the usualAsakusa, Ginza, and ShinjukuI'd recommend YaNeSen (http://flickr.com/search/?q=YaNeSen&w=all) and other old parts, before they disappear entirely as victims of "progress."
I had no idea where YaNeSen was but recognised quite a few of the places in the photos.

Now I realise it's YAnaka, NEzu and SENdagi.

As you're a local, do you recognise this? Didn't make it into the flickr group and I can't find a better picture.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 9:32 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Yanaka, Nezu and surrounding areas have been recommended several times in the group.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.