Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Typhoon this Weekend?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2007, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Typhoon this Weekend?

It seems like Tokyo is going to get hit by Typhoon #4 this weekend, and I'm supposed to fly back to the states Sunday evening
http://weather.goo.ne.jp/typhoon/index.html

Since it's high winds and water, I can't imagine this not effecting flights, but anyone have any guesses as to how bad it will be? If you were me, would you try to change your ticket to Saturday's flight?

Thanks,

Alex
Old Jul 12, 2007, 11:15 pm

Programs: WWMFD
Originally Posted by AlexS
If you were me, would you try to change your ticket to Saturday's flight?
Assuming that your flight is back to the US, it probably leaves in the afternoon (unless you're on a morning ANA flight).

Predicting typhoon tracks is a crapshoot, but based on what I see now you may actually be better off with the Sunday flight.

---> N.B. I am not a meteorologist. Hell, I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 12:35 am

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
This makes it look like tomorrow evening's flights should be OK....
http://weather.goo.ne.jp/typhoon/p0019/index.html

Then again, I'd like to believe that as I'm flying home tomorrow night.

Last edited by Calcifer; Jul 13, 2007 at 12:44 am Reason: silly me, NRT is in Chiba, not Tokyo....
Old Jul 13, 2007, 12:48 am
Original Poster

Calcifier, it looks like you'll be fine--are you on AA? We may end up being on the same flight

I didn't stay in any kind of hotel last night, and am certainly not a meteorologist, but that graphic on Goo Net makes it look like the center will be right over Tokyo Sunday evening My friends are all saying that typhoons usually slow down, and hang a hard right when they get near land here, but I would have thought the real meteorologists would have considered that when plotting the trajectory.

Alex
Old Jul 13, 2007, 12:56 am

Yep, on the AA flight. There's still a few empty seats in business.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Calcifer
Yep, on the AA flight. There's still a few empty seats in business.
I was more excited to see 31H still open
Old Jul 13, 2007, 1:30 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by AlexS
My friends are all saying that typhoons usually slow down, and hang a hard right when they get near land here, but I would have thought the real meteorologists would have considered that when plotting the trajectory.
Real meteorologists will also have considered that they may lose their jobs if they predict that the storm will be no big deal - and in fact it causes billions of yen in damages, shuts down the airport and sinks a bunch of fishing boats.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jib71
Real meteorologists will also have considered that they may lose their jobs if they predict that the storm will be no big deal - and in fact it causes billions of yen in damages, shuts down the airport and sinks a bunch of fishing boats.
You have a point...

But, AA let me change without a change fee which I took as a sign that I should switch. Off to cancel my cell phone and finish packing
Old Jul 13, 2007, 2:17 am

Programs: WWMFD
Just saw the news report from Okinawa. Looks pretty serious. More than just another rainstorm.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 3:51 am

To track the path of a typhoon I use the highly accurate "Pitiful NHK reporter standing next to the road as pieces of rubbish the size of Belgium fly past, yelling a report about how bad the typhoon is" index. This index currently has the intrepid reporter in Amami Oshima somewhere. I'll keep the OP updated.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 3:57 am

Programs: QF Gold
I cannot read Japanese,

I'm landing at 5pm on sunday, are any problems expected? (NRT)
Old Jul 13, 2007, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by davem4
I cannot read Japanese,

I'm landing at 5pm on sunday, are any problems expected? (NRT)
Yes. Hot off tonights 7pm news, the typhoon is expected to cause problems over most of the country into Sunday.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 11:35 am

Programs: AC Prestige, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, HHonors
Talking

Reminds me of the time when I was in Japan during that Typhoon that was over Tokyo in 2004. Such memories of rain going horizontal at the top of Tokyo Tower and staff grinning at me as the water leaks came through the ceiling up there.

Sanosuke!
Old Jul 13, 2007, 6:34 pm

Sunday night's Yokohama fireworks have already been cancelled...
(which probably means the typhoon will swerve away just out of spite)
Old Jul 13, 2007, 7:07 pm

Sunday night looks like a good time to head over to Krispy Kreme. The line should be down to 20 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.