Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Typhoon this Weekend?

Typhoon this Weekend?

Old Jul 14, 07, 1:42 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Originally Posted by Tokyorich View Post
Sunday night looks like a good time to head over to Krispy Kreme. The line should be down to 20 minutes.
Or Burger King. Or the new Yamada Denki in Ikebukuro.

At least as of right now, flights departing from NRT seem to be on schedule, but arrivals for the most part appear to be experiencing delays or a "new time."
http://www.narita-airport.or.jp/ais/...inter_arr.html
Old Jul 14, 07, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by Sanosuke View Post
Reminds me of the time when I was in Japan during that Typhoon that was over Tokyo in 2004. Such memories of rain going horizontal at the top of Tokyo Tower and staff grinning at me as the water leaks came through the ceiling up there.

Sanosuke!
Will Tokyo Tower stay open during the storm tomorrow? If so, I might run over tomorrow afternoon to experience the storm. Any others interested?

Marc
Old Jul 14, 07, 6:50 am

Programs: HH, BD
Originally Posted by Marq View Post
Will Tokyo Tower stay open during the storm tomorrow? If so, I might run over tomorrow afternoon to experience the storm. Any others interested?

Marc
Better to go after the storm. The views should be very clear. (Same goes for the top of Roppongi hills and the top of the metropolitan government tower).
Old Jul 14, 07, 2:44 pm

Programs: AC Prestige, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, HHonors
Talking

Originally Posted by jib71 View Post
Better to go after the storm. The views should be very clear. (Same goes for the top of Roppongi hills and the top of the metropolitan government tower).
Unless you're a daredevil like myself.

Sanosuke!
Old Jul 14, 07, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
Looking at the departures from the link DoubleJ posted (thanks!), it seems Sunday's AA168 has already been cancelled. Since AlexS and I are now safely back in NY, I think he made the right move! (Although he may not feel the same way after having to sit next to me for 12 hours. )
Old Jul 14, 07, 7:12 pm

Programs: A3*G, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by Calcifer View Post
Looking at the departures from the link DoubleJ posted (thanks!), it seems Sunday's AA168 has already been cancelled. Since AlexS and I are now safely back in NY, I think he made the right move! (Although he may not feel the same way after having to sit next to me for 12 hours. )
Yikes! Seems a bit preemptive, as the rain is now supposed to be slowing down in Shibuya by this afternoon. Although the map I just saw on BS news while watching the Red Sox shows it's a lot worse out by the costs as it's just skirting (yep, the forecast changed as suggested). Also, even the Tokaido Shinkansen has been delayed/cancelled due to the storm!

Glad y'all made it out last night though! (And was nice to meet you as well -- I'm sure AlexS survived the ordeal )

Looks like this may clear away what little we've had of rainy season though... 31 and sunny tomorrow now.
Old Jul 14, 07, 11:04 pm

Unless you're a daredevil like myself.

Sanosuke!
Whether you're a "daredevil" or not, I stand by my recommendation to visit the top of a tall building shortly after a storm has blown through. The skies are usually very clear and the views are spectacular.
Old Jul 14, 07, 11:47 pm

Programs: AC Prestige, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, HHonors
Talking

Whether you're a "daredevil" or not, I stand by my recommendation to visit the top of a tall building shortly after a storm has blown through. The skies are usually very clear and the views are spectacular.
That too. Its fun though when it blows through at night.. watch the chaos down below as traffic tries to make its way home!!

I'd gladly share some of the pics I took way back in 2004 when that Typhoon passed over Tokyo one night while at Tokyo Tower. Had to do some wading in the street however that night. Ugh! :P

Sanosuke!
Old Jul 15, 07, 12:31 am

That too. Its fun though when it blows through at night.. watch the chaos down below as traffic tries to make its way home!!
Oh yeah. F**king hilarious.
What do you do when there's no storm to keep you amused?

Last edited by jib71; Jul 15, 07 at 4:39 am
Old Jul 15, 07, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Typhoon indeed. I went to Hakone this weekend, and trains, buses, and cablecars in and out of the Hakone Tozan area (between Hakone Yumoto and Gora and points beyond) were shut down until 1:00 PM or so. After that everything was running on schedule, although things were a bit more crowded than usual.
Old Jul 15, 07, 2:41 am

Programs: WWMFD
Only the hard-core were out in the Shibuya clubs last night. Made for great entertainment & it was easy to get a taxi at 4 am.
Old Jul 15, 07, 3:04 am
mjm
Original Member

Taxis were running on schedule from Roppongi this morning at 4:30 as well.

Originally Posted by kcvt750 View Post
Only the hard-core were out in the Shibuya clubs last night. Made for great entertainment & it was easy to get a taxi at 4 am.
Old Jul 15, 07, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Calcifer View Post
Wow! Good to hear typhoon didn't turn out to be a huge deal in Tokyo, but I'm really glad I came back Saturday. AA168 to JFK, and most of the other AA flights, were quite full according to EF for Sunday and Monday, so I imagine rebooking would have been loads of fun...

The person sitting next to me though was another story She was watching, of all things, "Blades of Glory!" And, laughing at it too

Seriously though, it was a lot of fun sitting next to Calcifier and more than made up for my boring neighbors on my last 5 transpacs this year ^

Really excited to be back in NY!

Alex
Old Jul 15, 07, 9:45 am

Smile

Oh yeah. F**king hilarious.
What do you do when there's no storm to keep you amused?
What do you do to keep yourself amused too when theres no storm? As for myself, I spend a lot of time on the pavement seeing quite a lot of things, exploring the new things I "hear" about a lot.

Sanosuke!
Old Aug 12, 07, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd gladly share some of the pics I took way back in 2004 when that Typhoon passed over Tokyo one night while at Tokyo Tower. Had to do some wading in the street however that night. Ugh! :P
Just realised MrLapLap has mentioned his experiences of that same night in another thread:
Originally Posted by MrLapLap View Post
But be warned! I once walked home through a particularly bad typhoon (serious enough to stop the buses) and found I was wading through quite a lot of potentially dangerous debris (glass shards in particular), and for this reason I prefer to keep my feet protected in wet weather.
There was also a story about a drenched and traumatised rat wanting desperately to avoid him but which was powerless to avoid being blown towards where he stood. The feeling was extremely mutual. I still remember the phone call where he gave me an account of his experience and I offered my sympathy. It was a very long walk after a very long working day and no fun at all...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: