Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Movies that feature or take place in Tokyo?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Movies that feature or take place in Tokyo?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2023, 7:53 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by joejones
Bullet Train reminded me of Snatch, which is one of my all-time favorites. You have to enjoy violent screwball comedy in order to get it. It was not trying at all to be an authentic portrayal of Japan, or any other aspect of reality for that matter.
It’s a “violent screwball comedy” in a similar vein as Tarantino’s movies, though his films are more tongue-in-cheek than comedies, frankly, it just didn’t work in Bullet Train. Of course, I don’t take it as an authentic portrayal of Japan, but since it is based on a novel by a Japanese author, I hoped for a more interesting portrayal. Though I’m not a big Tarantino fan, I at least find him a fairly astute observer of Japanese culture, especially pop culture, but Bullet Train showed no cultural astuteness at all. It really hardly mattered that it was set in Japan.
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Steven Seagal lived in Osaka for 13 years between the age of 17 and 30 and studied aikido and tai chi. Steven Seagal was married to a Japanese woman and has two kids; Kentaro Seagal (actor in Los Angeles) and Ayako Fujitani (actress in Japan). Steven Seagal used to appear on Japanese TV programs often with his daughter Ayako Fujitani. Steven Segal spoke pretty decent Japanese, although once in a while his daughter had to step in as a translator.
Yes, Steven Seagal has a past in Japan. He is a 7th-degree black belt in Aikido and claims to be the first foreigner to operate a martial arts Dojo (owned by his father-in-law) in Japan. I saw him interviewed on Japanese TV back in the 80s and 90s. I enjoyed some of his earlier films such as "Above the Law" and "Marked for Death," but what’s perhaps lesser known is the claim that he is a reincarnated tulku (a reincarnated guardian of a specific lineage in Tibetan Buddhism). The Dalai Lama, Panchen Lamas, and other high-ranking lamas are all reincarnated tulkus. The film “Kundun” directed by Martin Scorsese, deals with the Tibetan Buddhist tradition of searching for and identifying reincarnated tulkus, sometimes in far-off lands. As one might expect, when this was first announced, it was met with guffaws, especially in Hollywood. Many accused him of making a payoff to receive this title. Due to the controversy, the Dalai Lama eventually stepped in and announced that this title was true.

Steven Seagal - Reincarnated Lama, Believe It or Not! (I don't think the guy on the left believes it)

Last edited by Nagasaki Joe; Jan 10, 2023 at 2:42 am
Old Jan 9, 2023, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by LapLap
I'm not that kind of tourist. Anyway, the films that touch me most about Japan are those directed by Ozu.
I'm an Ozu fan, too. I recently watched a silent film of his from 1935. An Inn In Tokyo. 東京の宿. An amazing look at what Tokyo was like way back when.
LapLap, od_sf and kevincrumbs like this.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 2:38 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hijiji
I'm an Ozu fan, too. I recently watched a silent film of his from 1935. An Inn In Tokyo. 東京の宿. An amazing look at what Tokyo was like way back when.
A great director. "An Inn in Tokyo" and "Tokyo Story" can both be seen on Youtube in their full versions. Copyrights including for movies last for 70 years in Japan, so much of his work should be in the public domain by now.
kevincrumbs likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 11:24 am

Programs: Free agent!
Anytime I look at Tokyo on Google Maps and see a starred place that doesn't immediately make sense, I assume that I saved the place because it was featured in an Ozu film for a few minutes. Most likely train stations that look nothing like how they looked when Ozu shot the location.

Speaking of Tampopo, I do feel like director Juzo Itami's other films are criminally underrated, including the "A Taxing Woman" and the charming "Supermarket Woman". I don't think Kawasaki counts for this thread but I do have the Kawasaki Velodrome saved on Google Maps as it features in the last scene of "A Taxing Woman".
LapLap and hijiji like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.