Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Movies that feature or take place in Tokyo?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Movies that feature or take place in Tokyo?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2009, 9:26 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by milepig
Well, I might be. I was sort of thinking in terems of films that give one a good impression of the city - culture, architecture, general ambiance, etc. For that reason I had pretty much ruled out things like the action movies where Tokyo is really only used as a backdrop for an exciting car chase...
Well, that rules out Bayside Shakedown, which is a cops vs. terrorists thriller.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've not seen it yet, and I have doubts about how good a film it is (from what I can tell it's a cross between Tampopo & Lost In Translation). The film is called The Ramen Girl.

But Toshiyuki Nishida is one of the main characters (he played Pigsy in Monkey/Saiyűki of which I was a HUGE fan) so I'll probably watch it at some point.

It is set in Tokyo, it is in English and the trailer can be viewed here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GARRQfJt-bQ

(as I can watch the whole thing piece by piece on youtube I might as well do it now)
Old Jul 2, 2009, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
actually one great movie is "Shall we dance", the Japanese version
Old Jul 2, 2009, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Tokyo Pop is a 1980s indie film about a young American woman who comes to Tokyo on a whim and starts singing with a Japanese rock band.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 11:06 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mjm
Or when the pull up to the super secret place which is in fact Zojoji Temple in Shiba Park. And then there is the easily identifiable shot of Atago Green Hills (Office Tower).
My sister pointed out to me that the Atago Green Hills buildings also appear (for about two seconds) in the final sequence of Lost in Translation, at about 1h35m27s. You can just about see my balcony in fact. There are also some remarkable shots of the Shuto with no-one else driving on it.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by LapLap
MrLapLap prefers the Japanese film Black Rain (unfortunately he recorded it on VHS on Long Play - it's under the bed right now) nothing to do with Tokyo though...
Also one of my faves but will watch it again as am planning an Osaka getaway in Sept just for KIX, sorry kicks.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 11:02 am

Programs: DL DM
Just finished watching "Tokyo!", a series of three not-so-short films by three directors (Michel Gondry, Leos Carax, and Jooh Ho Bong), all set in Tokyo. Quirky, but I liked them all to some extent. Lots of great Tokyo footage, and interesting underlying themes as well.

"The Sea is Watching" (Umi wa miteita) is set in a 19th century red light district. Great costumes, especially if you like kimono.

I like just about anything by Yasujirō Ozu: themes that emphasize the rapid changes in post-war Japan (especially women's roles) and a very particular technical style. If you like Ozu you might want to check out "Cafe Lumiere", a film by a Taiwanese director, Hou Hsiao-hsien, that's a tribute to Ozu, set in modern day Tokyo. Great train scenes, similar camera angles, and even some very specific scenes that you'll recognize if you're familiar with Ozu's work.

"Train Man" (Densha Otaku) set in modern day Tokyo. Sweet story, lots of detail about Akihabara.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 11:03 am

Oh, forgot to mention "Linda Linda Linda". Not Tokyo, but modern day Japan, and again a sweet story about teenagers.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 12:33 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by LapLap
... The film is called The Ramen Girl...
Not a bad movie if you can get past what we know about renting long-term apartments in Tokyo for foreigners. The huge mansion she lives in would NOT come cheap!

Nishida-san is wonderful as always. Brittany Murphy - not so much. She tends to overemote at times.

The concept is a bit silly but there are some poignant moments and nice glimpses of Tokyo for those who don't get there often. I got hungry for some good ramen while watching.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 1:13 pm

"The Great Happiness Space" is a documentary set in present day Osaka, but you could easily mistake it for Tokyo, specifically Kabuki-cho. A weirdly compelling look at "host" (instead of hostess) clubs and the women who frequent them. All of the movies I've listed are available on NetFlix, and this one can be seen on demand, on your computer (or TV if you've got the right equipment).
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:35 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Bump time...

Does anyone know of filming locations for Tampopo? I'd like to seek them out, whether or not the structure(s) still exist, as a favor for a friend.

Thanks,
BmB
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
It is a movie about ramen noodle shop, isn’t it?

The movie was filmed at:

Harumi (restaurant, commonly known as “Horumon Harumi”)
4-7-13 Shibaura,
Minato-ku, Tokyo
(090) 8101-6330

It is a small dive Japanese barbeque (yakiniku, 焼肉) restaurant open for lunch only. It is not ramen place in real life. Closest station is subway Sengakuji station (Tokyo Metro Asakusa Line), the location is about 600 m (650 yards) east of the station.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Bump time...

Does anyone know of filming locations for Tampopo? I'd like to seek them out, whether or not the structure(s) still exist, as a favor for a friend.

Thanks,
BmB
The sarariman at the fancy restaurant scene (one of my all-time favorite film scenes) was at La Tour D'Argent at the New Otani:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRVLqUpHDJE
Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:28 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
It looks like nobody has mentioned the 2005 Steven Seagal movie "Into the Sun." The plot is vaguely along the lines of "Black Rain" and the film is mind-blowingly terrible, but somewhat amusing if you can appreciate the comical value of Steven Seagal.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Pickles
The sarariman at the fancy restaurant scene (one of my all-time favorite film scenes) was at La Tour D'Argent at the New Otani:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRVLqUpHDJE

I love this movie !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.