Community
Wiki Posts
Search

doing laundry in Japan

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Wow. I love this thread. Going to use these links and advice for next trip. Question: is it easy to figure out how to operate machines? Last summer I was trying to do laundry in France and even though I’m fluent could not figure it out, nor could a French woman who actually got really mad and started swearing at the washer. Eventually we got it working. Just a different system than I was used to.
Yeah it's pretty easy. If you're worried get the Google Translate ap and use the camera function. It will allow you to hover your camera over the Japanese and directly translate it to English. Depending on the complexity of the machine this might be necessary. There are some bigger machines that come preloaded with soap and softener, but you need to select which ones to add, so I can see you getting confused.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Ah, as the original poster, this thread brings back memories of finding a hidden laundry room in Miyazaki and then -- for lack of dryers -- having to spread my laundry everywhere around my hotel room to get it dried. Since then, I haven't had that many extended trips to Japan where laundry was a big problem. Last year, though, I specifically rented a small house in Kyoto on airbnb because it had a washing machine. Again, no dryer, but they had a little outside enclosure in the back of the house with some lines and pins. A lifesaver compared to the alternatives.

I will be travelling in Japan for a few weeks next summer and I suppose I will try to schedule a couple of overnights to "strategically" do my laundry. Are airbnb rentals with laundry machines common in Japan? If so, that seems to be a good strategy. And from the above comments, it seems like there are a few hotels in Japan that have "do it yourself" chain laundries. I know in China (another place where laundry is harder than I'd expect), the Holiday Inn Express chain has properties with laundromats.

Frankly, as an American, I find it odd how difficult laundry can be overseas. I was just in Spain and I had to strategize on where to do my laundry. I did find a modern laundromat but a large machine (enough for about 5 days of laundry for 2 people) wound up costing me about 15 euros, including the dryer. Seemed expensive. Sometimes I can rent apartments/houses on airbnb in Europe that have washing machines, but I often have to get instructions on how to use the "odd" machines.

My next extended (aka "I'll need to do laundry") trip is to Australia, and it's always a relief to me that laundry is not a big production there. They have USA style washer/dryers in most of their motels. I've always wondered why more countries don't have these. Our washing machines seem pretty good, and aren't usually complicated like the ones I often encounter abroad.

Last edited by iahphx; Oct 23, 2019 at 9:54 pm
Old Oct 23, 2019, 10:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by iahphx
Ah, as the original poster, this thread brings back memories of finding a hidden laundry room in Miyazaki and then -- for lack of dryers -- having to spread my laundry everywhere around my hotel room to get it dried. Since then, I haven't had that many extended trips to Japan where laundry was a big problem. Last year, though, I specifically rented a small house in Kyoto on airbnb because it had a washing machine. Again, no dryer, but they had a little outside enclosure in the back of the house with some lines and pins. A lifesaver compared to the alternatives.

I will be travelling in Japan for a few weeks next summer and I suppose I will try to schedule a couple of overnights to "strategically" do my laundry. Are airbnb rentals with laundry machines common in Japan? If so, that seems to be a good strategy. And from the above comments, it seems like there are a few hotels in Japan that have "do it yourself" chain laundries. I know in China (another place where laundry is harder than I'd expect), the Holiday Inn Express chain has properties with laundromats.

Frankly, as an American, I find it odd how difficult laundry can be overseas. I was just in Spain and I had to strategize on where to do my laundry. I did find a modern laundromat but a large machine (enough for about 5 days of laundry for 2 people) wound up costing me about 15 euros, including the dryer. Seemed expensive. Sometimes I can rent apartments/houses on airbnb in Europe that have washing machines, but I often have to get instructions on how to use the "odd" machines.

My next extended (aka "I'll need to do laundry") trip is to Australia, and it's always a relief to me that laundry is not a big production there. They have USA style washer/dryers in most of their motels. I've always wondered why more countries don't have these. Our washing machines seem pretty good, and aren't usually complicated like the ones I often encounter abroad.
I rented a place via Expedia in Kyoto last year because it had a washer/dryer all in one. It was also available on Airbnb. We actually do try to strategically plan for laundry at day 5-7 on a trip bc we only ever take a carryon size bag (for even up to 6 weeks of travel). I also always pack a handful of Tide pods in double ziplock bags. They are perfect for doing laundry while traveling so you don’t have to buy a whole jug or box of detergent (or pay $5 for one load worth of soap).

In looking for hotels for next summer in Japan, I did see many with laundry rooms, though I confess the hotels seemed otherwise low on services and aesthetic.

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Oct 23, 2019 at 10:29 pm
Old Oct 23, 2019, 10:49 pm

Tokyu stay is my favorite chain (some rooms have built-in washer/dryer, which makes it very simple for a 2-3 day trip (start wash cycle before u leave for the day, come back with it mostly dry)

Business hotels usually have washer/dryers in the lobby, but u have to babysit it

I did bookmark a couple of dropoff/pickup laundry places in strategic locations (some offer delivery Nationwide), though they are much more expensive but not to the level of hotel laundry service. Need to find those bookmarks
Old Oct 23, 2019, 11:14 pm

Dormy Inn is great for solo female travelers with laundry needs. They usually have a set of free to use washers & detergent and 100 yen/20 min dryers inside the women's onsen dressing room. You can throw in that extra top and bottom you're wearing before heading into the shower area and change into the Jinbei (shirt and pant set) after the bath.

I'm also fond of Tokyu Stay and they've branched out beyond Tokyo. They also sell additional Ariel laundry detergent packets. One packet is complimentary per booking and I usually about a third to half a packet for each load of whites, darks, and heavy darks (jeans, pants, etc) which fit in a carry-on.

Last edited by freecia; Oct 23, 2019 at 11:26 pm
Old Oct 24, 2019, 2:01 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
Great suggestions up thread. Also worth considering: have your laundry done at a neighbourhood コインランドリー while eating lunch. It can be less stressful than fighting over/babysitting the usual one or two machines at a hotel serving 100+ rooms.

Coin laundries are apparently big business in Japan, so you shouldn't have much trouble finding one these days, especially if you drive. https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...-sign-bursting
Old Oct 24, 2019, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by paperwastage
Tokyu stay is my favorite chain (some rooms have built-in washer/dryer, which makes it very simple for a 2-3 day trip (start wash cycle before u leave for the day, come back with it mostly dry)
I second that. I've stayed at Tokyu Stay hotels (e.g. Monzen-nakacho) at least twice. For the longer trips there, I've chosen rooms w/a washer and dryer so that I can do my laundry and not need to bring as much clothing.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 3:41 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The single best tip I've ever found for speeding up the whole laundry process is to carry some "Shout Color Catcher" sheets with you. If you put one sheet into a washer, you can mix all your clothes into one load and nothing will bleed into anything else. The product is a bit hard to find but can be purchased online.

And no, I don't work for, or have any connection with, the company that makes it.
cowie likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.