Community
Wiki Posts
Search

doing laundry in Japan

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2006, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx
-- actually public transport in and out of Seagaia -- seemed mediocre to poor.
Kind of like the public transit in phx and iah !
Old Apr 12, 2006, 8:51 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Yeah, we have a car, which should be interesting (it will be my first time driving in Japan). Public transport at Seagaia -- actually public transport in and out of Seagaia -- seemed mediocre to poor.
There are express buses that will take you between Miyazaki Airport and SeaGaia. I've used these when I was not renting a car. Not that you'll find any laundromats at the airport. There are also buses that appear to operate only within the confines of the SeaGaia complex, and will make stops anywhere from the zoo and bowling alley on the north end to the cottages and condos on the south end.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by DoubleJ
I think your best bet might be the Luxze Hitotsuba condominium hotel (for longterm guests) or the Cottage Himuka (resort cottages complex) to see if they have laundry facilities for their guests. These two properties are part of the SeaGaia complex (at the southern end) and are about a 10-minute or so walk from the Sheraton. You can rent bicycles at the Sheraton that would get you there more quickly.
Seagaia's website mention rooms with a washing machine/dryer at the condominium hotel and for the family rooms in the Cottage Himuka, but I haven't found any mention of coin laundry for guests.

Otherwise, there is a dry-cleaner at the nearby AEON Miyazaki shopping center, White Kyubin, on the ground floor (tel 0985-60-8005 open from 10h to 22h). I'm aware you're looking for a coin laundry (and yes, in Japanese, it would be koin landolee) but I thought to give you some options. It's a cleaning shop chain franchise and should be on the cheap & quick side although I don't know how quick.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 9:45 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Since you're driving to SeaGaia, iahphx, have you considered stopping at a laundromat either before you get there or after you leave, rather than while you're there?

Here are some links to some "coin laundries" in Miyazaki Prefecture--with mapping functions (sorry, but only in Japanese):
http://phonebook.yahoo.co.jp/a145/g1...021/g31909000/
http://www.wash-house.jp/camera&map-miyazaki.html

Of course, you can always just keep an eye out for the telltale "コインランドリー" sign or a small (often white) squarish building with large glass windows (with washing machines inside), and just pull in during your driving travels.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Kind of like the public transit in phx and iah !
Very true. I pity the foreigner who arrives in most US cities thinking he can rely on public transportation. I suspect most Americans who head abroad know that public transportation is usually more viable than in the US.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DoubleJ
There are express buses that will take you between Miyazaki Airport and SeaGaia. I've used these when I was not renting a car. Not that you'll find any laundromats at the airport. There are also buses that appear to operate only within the confines of the SeaGaia complex, and will make stops anywhere from the zoo and bowling alley on the north end to the cottages and condos on the south end.
Yeah, I explored the public transport options there because I didn't think I needed a car for EVERY day I was staying at the Sheraton. The problem was that the bus transportation to the airport is rather poor -- once an hour, and only during "business hours" (you'd have to take a taxi if your flight left before 10 am or so). And there's no place to rent a car at Seagaia -- so you'd have to schlep to Miyazaki town (on one of THOSE infrequent buses) to pick up and return the car. The car was so cheap with Club Tocoo (Y27500 all in for 6 days on a 1500 cc) that just keeping the car for my entire stay seemed the easiest. Especially since Seagaia is somewhat isolated even from Miyazaki.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aleph08
Seagaia's website mention rooms with a washing machine/dryer at the condominium hotel and for the family rooms in the Cottage Himuka, but I haven't found any mention of coin laundry for guests.

Otherwise, there is a dry-cleaner at the nearby AEON Miyazaki shopping center, White Kyubin, on the ground floor (tel 0985-60-8005 open from 10h to 22h). I'm aware you're looking for a coin laundry (and yes, in Japanese, it would be koin landolee) but I thought to give you some options. It's a cleaning shop chain franchise and should be on the cheap & quick side although I don't know how quick.
Thanks. Not sure if another flyertalker will ever have this question, but I'll post my "solution" when I return.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 3:36 pm

Any Laundries Near Osaka Hilton?

Are there any laundries near the Osaka Hilton? I am staying there for two weeks late April to early May?
Old Apr 13, 2006, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BF263533
Are there any laundries near the Osaka Hilton? I am staying there for two weeks late April to early May?
You might ask the Hilton concierge..........
Old Apr 14, 2006, 9:37 am

Somehow I feel the chances of finding a laundromat in what is argueably the most expensive real estate district in western Japan (Umeda 1chome) to be pretty slim, though it might be possible to find a dry cleaners.

I was able to identify several hotels located in Osaka that had coin laundry facilities for their guests, but none in your area.
Old Apr 15, 2006, 9:11 pm

This is a little off the original topic, but some Japanese business hotels offer coin-operated laundry washers and dryers for their guests. The chain I'm most familiar with is Toyoko Inn, and each one I've been in has washers and dryers in a nook off the lobby. The Comfort Hotel in Yokohama I stayed in last weekend also has machines. Typical cost is 50 yen for soap, 200 yen for a washer, and 100 yen for 30 minutes of dryer time. I like to travel fairly light, so only take 4-5 days worth of clothes with me. Being able to do laundry for a reasonable rpice in the middle of the trip sure beats the laundry charges at other hotels.
Old Apr 16, 2006, 1:02 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
There are hotels in the area which offer coin laundry facilities to their guests (Umeda OS Hotel and Hotel Kansai). Both are within 10 minutes walk of Umeda station, but I doubt that they woudl offer their facilities to non-guests. You could call them if you want to find out...
Hotel Kansai = http://biz.travel.yahoo.co.jp/bin/ps...0&shisetsu=A02
Umeda OS Hotel = http://biz.travel.yahoo.co.jp/bin/ps...0&shisetsu=035

Alternatively, you could take a subway to one of these:

(1) First one in the following list:
http://www.kyoto-inter.com/coin_navi/osaka.htm#nisiku

Walk from Hilton Hotel to Higashi Umeda Station (5 min walk)
Take the Tanimachi line to Miyakojima (3 stops)
Coin laundry appears to be very near the station (North Side - across the road from Royal Host):

It's open 24 hours per day and you can do your own laundry or you can pay them to do the laundry for you. (I suppose you may need to go during "normal business hours" if you want to pay someone to do the laundry for you).

(2) Fourth one in the following list
http://www.kyoto-inter.com/coin_navi/osaka.htm#nisiku

Walk from Hilton Hotel to Umeda Station (just across the road)
Take the Midosuji Line to Higashi Mikuni (one stop after Shin Osaka)
Dolphin Coin Laundry - Seems to be a short walk to the West of the station.

It's also open 24 hours per day.
Self service only - no staff in attendance.

That's the best I could find. Of course, the concierge may have some better suggestions....

EDITED TO ADD: You can probably find a dry cleaner's somewhere in the Osaka station building (or nearby) which will do shirts at a fraction of the price of the Hilton's dry cleaning.

Last edited by jib71; Apr 16, 2006 at 6:03 pm
Old Apr 16, 2006, 1:06 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The coin raundri I use (instead of paying PHT fees which, for underwear, can be higher than the clothes cost in the first place) has a strange little tennis shoe washer and dryer that I am just going to have to try someday.

The washing machines seem to charge either Y200 or Y250 and I cannot figure out what the extra Y50 gets me, but I stick it in every time. Anyone know?

And sorry for leaving out the "doko" in my primitive Japanese above.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks. Not sure if another flyertalker will ever have this question, but I'll post my "solution" when I return.
Yup, the "Cottages Himuka" at Seagaia has coin laundry rooms in each cottage cluster. The washers (albeit quite small by US standards) worked like a charm. Best 200 yen I ever spent.

The dryers -- well, that's another story. I kept buying 20 minutes more time (at 100 yen a pop) and my clothes didn't get much drier. I finally ran out of coins and patience and took my wet clothes back to my hotel room and spread them out. In a day, I was good to go. Maybe Kenmore could sell some driers in Japan.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
The washing machines seem to charge either Y200 or Y250 and I cannot figure out what the extra Y50 gets me, but I stick it in every time. Anyone know?
I've seen ones in Japan that will add detergent for a small fee.
Alternatively, the ones in my apartment building here add some superwash cycle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.