Wiki Posts
Search

"Western" Kaiseki Restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2006, 6:01 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

"Western" Kaiseki Restaurants

I'm very interested in food - and would like to have some "kaiseki" meals in Japan for a few reasons (among them - the meal's historical significance in terms of influencing European and US chefs to develop the concept of tasting menus). I understand that many of these restaurants are quite traditional - and that presents 2 problems. First - my husband wears a huge knee brace (his knee is shot after years of running) - and there is no way he can sit cross-legged on the floor. Second - I am very nervous about going to any expensive restaurant which only takes cash (will spend all afternoon worrying how much I should take - I am not used to thinking about carrying cash).

We will be in Tokyo and Osaka and Kyoto and I wonder if there are any excellent kaiseki restaurants you can recommend where we can sit "western style" and use credit cards? Robyn
Old Mar 20, 2006, 10:03 pm

Programs: NH Super Flyer (*G), Eurostar Carte Blanche, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Accor ALL Gold
You can sit at the counter at a lot of kaiseki restaurants. One I go to a lot is Gion Tanimoto in Kyoto (075-551-8011). Just make sure your concierge makes a reservation for you at the counter. I don't think, like many other kaiseki restaurants -- or restaurants in Kyoto for that matter, that it takes cards, but it's quite reasonable (Y8000 a head for dinner), so as long as you go easy on the sake, you don't need to carry arround more than $250 cash.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 10:09 pm

Programs: NH Super Flyer (*G), Eurostar Carte Blanche, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Accor ALL Gold
I also remembered the Kyoto restaurant, Isecho in the Imperial Hotel. A bit pricier than the Kyoto restaurant in Kyoto I mentioned above (dinner starts at Y12,000) but again there is counter seating and as this is in a hotel you would have no problem with credit cards.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 8:53 pm

Cant give you any names of restaurants but Kyoto has many great Kaiseki restaurants, many have counter seating as well so you dont have to worry about sitting on the floor. I am 6'8 and have a bad knee as well, I use to hate sitting on the floor.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 4:47 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Seki
http://r.gnavi.co.jp/fl/en/g194800/
Reservation advisable.
Counter seating = Yes
Credit cards = Visa / DC
This restaurant is in the most atmospheric, narrow, cobble-stone alley that I know in Tokyo. Even if the food weren't great it would be worth visiting for the scenery... but the food is great and reasonably priced with kaiseki options from 6,000yen. (My bill is usually around 10,000per person at the end of the evening).
Print a copy of the menu from the above website, because the one in the restaurant is illegible ... even to Japanese people.
Print a copy of the map from the above website because the restaurant is impossible to find without one ... even for locals. (Hint: Walk up Kagurazaka to the gaudy temple. On the other side of the road is a narrow alley with a sign for "Le Bretagne" ... walk down the alley, past "Le Bretagne" and turn the corner... Seki is on your right).
Seating - Be sure to ask for a "counter" seat when you make your reservation. This will allow you to occupy one of the "park bench" type seats at the counter.
The website claims "English spoken" because the "master" lived in Ealing (London) for a while. The welcome is incredibly warmm, but let's just say that his English is ... interesting.
The 90 year-old Grandmother will bring you the bill at the end of your meal and will follow you out of the restaurant repeating "Thank you. Please come again. Thank you. Please come again. Thank you... "
Guaranteed good time.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
One of my favorites: http://www.kifune.jp/index3.html

They have counter setting and I'm pretty sure they take credit cards.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 6:23 am
TR35R

I've got a simple question. Kaiseki... 解析 or 懐石 or 会席? Which one?

Old Mar 22, 2006, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Talking

Originally Posted by TR35R
I've got a simple question. Kaiseki... 解析 or 懐石 or 会席? Which one?
Are you making this a challenge? You could try harder if you are........
Old Mar 22, 2006, 7:35 am

Could be 貝咳... with 牛痰
Old Mar 22, 2006, 8:00 am
TR35R

Just for the record, I'm not familiar with Chinese-characters. I love Hiraganas/Katakanas instead.

"解析" This usually means "analysis"
"懐石" Um... Ahem. I'll leave it to your imagination.
"会席" You may call this "Japanese Thanksgiving style". Am I missing something?

Originally Posted by jib71
Could be 貝咳... with 牛痰
Haywire!

Old Mar 22, 2006, 8:13 am
TR35R

Just googled....

Here's the "懐石料理"
http://images.google.com/images?num=...86&sa=N&tab=wi

and the "会席料理"
http://images.google.com/images?svnu...86&btnG=Search

Old Mar 22, 2006, 8:20 am

"解析" This usually means "analysis"
"懐石" Um... Ahem. I'll leave it to your imagination.
"会席" You may call this "Japanese Thanksgiving style". Am I missing something?
Nice explanation here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaiseki
Old Mar 22, 2006, 8:35 am
TR35R

Originally Posted by jib71
Thanks! But... jib71, You did solve what does the "懐石" mean though, however the links above you guys attached saying all "会席". I think you have one job to do.

Old Mar 22, 2006, 8:38 am

Programs: AC SE 2MM, too many others
I've said this elsewhere on this site, but Waketokuyama in Tokyo is great, and is contemporary kaiseki.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 8:44 am

Thanks! But... jib71, You did solve what does the "懐石" mean though, however the links above you guys attached saying all "会席". I think you have one job to do.
Well - if you want a buddhist-style, vegetarian kaiseki then I think "Bon" near Iriya is very good.
They use the name "Fucha Ryori" for the food there - but it struck me as being very "kaiseki" style. Maybe 懐石???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.