Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2005, 5:13 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No one in our family is cool .
Old Apr 17, 2005, 9:56 pm

Programs: AC E; Hyatt-Diamond
Originally Posted by littleleaguemom
Can't imagine him asking his mom to take him to such places! The new park is nothing like Disneyland proper. Some pics:
http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/t...bor/index.html
I would have to agree - DisneySea is nothing like Disneyland. The Japanese really outdid themselves this time. The park is absolutely beautiful with the greatest attention to detail. Don't except too many rides - that's not the point of this park. Rather, enjoy the atmosphere while you're there. I'm not a big Disney fan but I really enjoyed DisneySea. It was incredible ^
Old Apr 17, 2005, 11:44 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exactly my impression. TDS does have some marvelous rides but the flawless artificial world is what you enjoy most. Every detail is perfect, even the water fountains and waste bins. My son is pretty tired of Anaheim DL but was entranced by TDS - said it reminded him of his most beautiful video game, Final Fantasy something. Even the merchandise in the stores (which in Anaheim I refer to as Disney cr@p) is unique to TDS and adorable. Moreover, it is not crowded even when Tokyo Disneyland is.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by littleleaguemom
No one in our family is cool .
Just don't let your 17 year old find this out
Old Apr 18, 2005, 9:56 am
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pickles
Just don't let your 17 year old find this out
No problem. He knows he is HOT. Has been a babe magnet since preschool.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 11:44 pm

Programs: Dirt
Bandai Museum may be of interest. If any of OP's sons is a fan of any Bandai properties, like Gundam, Deka Ranger (Power Ranger), Mazinger Z, Godzilla and so on, it will be a worthwhile visit. To get there, take the JR Joban line from Ueno or Nippori to Matsudo. The museum is right outside the station. See the web site for more detailed directions.

Akihabara, the electric district, is also the center of anime and geek culture. It has something for every geek: electronics, computers, games and anime. Gamers and Tora no Ana stores sell all kinds of anime-related merchandises. If you have time, enjoy a lunch at one of the many cosplay cafes in the area. Be polite and ask first before taking pictures.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, RCC, PreChk , Hertz 5* Gold, HH Silver, SPG Gold thx to Amex Plat
I'll be in Tokyo at the end of May for a week, so the information in this thread is helpful. I was in TDL when it first opened 20+ years ago, and will spend a couple of days there.

I'm planning a day-trip to see Mt Fuji. Also would like to take a city tour. Any suggestions on tour companies with English-speaking guides, esp. those with hotel pick-up and drop-off?
Old Apr 19, 2005, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles
Yes, that's the place. However, you missed out. The Japanese have refined this "dressed wildly and acting accordingly" to an art form that ends up in the cover of Time Magazine extolling Tokyo as "the capital of cool".
To be more precise, the Japanese wild kids dress wildly in exactly the same style as everybody else in their subcultural group, and any wild acts must be agreed with group concensus, then choreographed and practiced endlessly before actually being attempted in public.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 7:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Ive been in Kyoto since Monday. It is my second trip here. I cant imagine doing it in a day trip from Tokyo. The fastest train, the Nozumi super express is about 2:15 minutes each way but you cant use a railpass on those. When I was here last year we took one of the other trains, with a railpass and it was closer to 3 hours each way. There is just way to much to see here to do that much in the train and be able to see much of anything here.

Also, while tiny in comparison to Tokyo, many of the things in Kyoto are pretty spread out within the city or just outside of it. On our last visit we were here a day and a half and didnt even get to Gion during out visit. We rode around in a car with a guide and saw a lot of temples, Nijo castle and other highlights, This time, with more time available, I have been able to walk around some of the main part of the city, and the old Gion area on foot and have enjoyed myself more in that respect. Much of it seems to be best viewed from on foot.

Take it easy, it is vacation afterall and spend a day or so here. If you want a real treat book yourself into a ryokin and get a taste of Japanese culture close up.

Oh, and if you want to be Tokyo street cool check out some clothes from the Bathing Ape store in Aoyama.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.