Wiki Posts
Search

Hotels in Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2003, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Hotels in Tokyo

are there any cheap hotels in Tokyo ?
i know it's a pretty expensive city tho.
i plan to be there from dec 27 until jan 4.
thanks.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 7:29 pm

At the low end of the price range are:

- youth hostels

- basic japanese inns such as:

Japanese Inn Group ryokans

random Google find

Nothing fancy there, usually an older building in a lower-rent neighborhood with a small tatami room, but prices are hard to beat (~Y5,000 for a single). Dress warmly.

- capsule hotels, if desperate... similar or lower price, but you must check out daily.

- 'long stay' rates at 'love hotels', if truly desperate... good for illegal aliens with no ID

- 'business hotels' (scroll down)

- moving up, tourist class hotels you'll find on any booking engine.

- lesser international class hotels start around $100 a night for a single

[This message has been edited by monahos (edited 10-11-2003).]
Old Oct 11, 2003, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PP
uh, good luck. I've been there twice during that timer period (last 2 years). Tokyo is packed x-mas-New Years. Crammed with people coming from all over Japan.

We managed to get decent rates via internet for the Hilton Shinjuku (around $150 each room for Club floor including breakfast). OK, so that's not a Love Hotel price the location is excellent.

Another FYI item I learned the hard way. Many restaurants are closed that week (the whole week). Shinkansen Trains can be hard to get reservations on at the last minute. 'Just plan ahead' is all I'm telling you. Have fun. The weather is surprisingly nice that time of year.

Start shoppping for hotels now!
Old Oct 12, 2003, 8:40 am

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
I'll be in Tokyo in early December and I used http://gojapan.about.com/library/hot...o_lowindex.htm as a good source of low priced places in Tokyo - ended up finding a place in Shinjuku at 7300 yen a night, I guess I can give a report after staying there on how it is! But seems there's more than enough sub 10,000 yen places that are decent enough, even if they're not that fancy.
Old Oct 12, 2003, 1:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
The only low cost hotel international hotel chain I'm aware of is Ibis who have a hotel in Roppongi. Although good for night life, this is a less than ideal part of town though.
Old Oct 12, 2003, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Bear in mind that Tokyo is quite large, and anywhere in the central core should be an OK location to stay. Regardless of what part of town you stay in, you will be travelling to other parts of town to see the sights!!!You will be using the subway lines and/or the JR Yamanote and Chuo lines to get around most of the time. (The subway companies and JR are separate fare systems.)

Kathy
Old Oct 12, 2003, 7:57 pm

Programs: Many
The Prince chain frequently has great discounts, e.g. Shinjuku Prince for JPY8800 which I have booked a couple times a year for the last 2 - 3 years.
Old Oct 12, 2003, 7:59 pm

Programs: Many
Note also that MANY MANY MANY smaller businesses will be closed down for 4-5 days around New Years.
Old Oct 13, 2003, 1:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, JL Sapphire
Any comments on these two from those of you in the know. For some reason, I like the idea of staying in Akehabara ... I'm not sure why...

Sofitel Ueno
Washington Hotel - Akehabara
Old Oct 13, 2003, 7:16 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">For some reason, I like the idea of staying in Akehabara</font>
I suppose you are really enthusiastic about electronic goods .

Keep in mind Akihabara is a ghost town from 7-8pm to 9-10am, and that its very few eateries are mediocre fast food or noodle shops.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.