Reload this Page >

My Japan Trip: Tokyo, Osaka, Hiroshima, Kyoto

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Japan Trip: Tokyo, Osaka, Hiroshima, Kyoto

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2003, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bedelman:
[B]Sweet Willie, can you recommend a specific travel agent for the Japan Rail Pass? I'm flying AA to NRT, so I'm apparently not eligible for making the purchase from JAL or ANA directly. </font>
There are at least two ways that the JR Pass can be issued in the US: One is a multi-copy form about the size of an airline ticket that's filled out by hand and endorsed by the issuer. To issue these, the issuing agent of course has to have a supply of the blank vouchers, or order them from somewhere.

Another way they can be issued is on ARC ticket stock. The last time I bought one, this is how it was issued. It had a JL ticket number on it, but I bought it stand-alone (that is, I didn't buy it in conjunction with a flight on JL or any other carrier). Presumably, any travel agent that can issue tickets on JL would be able to issue a JR Rail voucher in this manner, although they may not know how to do it. In my case, I bought it from my local ethnic travel agency that specialized in travel to Japan, so they could issue it without even blinking.

As for the benefits of the JR pass, many have been covered already, especially the cost savings if you're doing anything but a minimal amount of rail travel in Japan. There are quite a few more subtle benefits of the pass that I think are worth mentioning:

- Not only do you get rail transport on just about every JR train (the only exception being the Nozomi Shinkansen/bullet train service - but there are two other Shinkansen services on the same routes that you can take that take only slightly longer), but you get reserved seating at no extra charge. Many JR long distance trains have a mix of reserved seating and open seating. Of course, you can always use the open seating cars, but you can go into any JR ticket office and get a confirmed seat reservation by showing your pass - normally, reserved seating carries an extra charge.

- If you have a reserved seat and for whatever reason miss your train, you're not out any money. If you bought a normal ticket, you'd be out a good portion of your ticket if you don't take the journey and don't cancel your reservation beforehand.

- You can avoid the hassle of purchasing a ticket altogether. The pass is handled at the station in a manual fashion. Instead of going through the automated turnstiles, you use the side window manned by a person. You just show the pass and walk through - you don't have to tell them where you're going, so there's no issue with a language barrier. Also, you don't have to buy a ticket from the machine. The only time you have to get a ticket in advance is if you want a reserved seat.

- In Tokyo, the local JR lines are almost as extensive as the subway. In most cases, you can get to where you're going using either JR or the subway. So, if you have a JR pass, you can just use their services instead of the subway.
Old Feb 10, 2003, 2:29 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bedelman:
Sweet Willie, can you recommend a specific travel agent for the Japan Rail Pass? I'm flying AA to NRT, so I'm apparently not eligible for making the purchase from JAL or ANA directly.</font>
If either JAL or ANA has a ticket office in Boston, I would call them first. Even though you're not travelling on their service, they're more than happy to sell you a Japan Rail Pass voucher if you want.

I flew to NRT via AA a little over a year ago and I bought my Rail Pass from the ANA corporate offices here in NYC. They have a little ticket counter/travel agency next to the main offices and the woman who helped me couldn't have been nicer about the whole thing.

I would imagine that JAL at least would have a counter at Logan. Maybe they could help you there.
Old Apr 6, 2003, 2:34 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Sweet Willie:
Most restaurants do not have English menus, but many have displays of the food they serve in the window. Just go into the restaurant, come back out w/your waiter and point to what you want. While helpful to us, I found all the displays kind of ironic when Japanese patrons would look at them and comment. To clarify, I as most people in the U.S., have a very good picture in my head of what a hamburger, roast chicken, spaghetti, or any other typical meal will look like. Yet the Japanese would point and comment on the dishes displayed, even though every display at every restaurant looks like the same person put it together. If you're Japanese do you really need to see what a soba noodle dish looks like?!?!?! I personally found it funny.</font>
An article in Saveur magazine (April/May 2003) answered my question as to why many Japanese restaurants have food model displays.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Replica food was cooked up at least 80 years ago by Japanese restaurants hoping to introduce locals to an influx of dishes, from places like China and the US, that arrived on their shores when Japan relaxed its isolationist stance. Today more than 80% or restaurants in Japan display faux food.
</font>
80% seems slightly high to me, but it sure made ordering easy.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 5:22 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Sweet Willie:
[from quoted article]
Today more than 80% of restaurants in Japan display faux food.
</font>
In the US, more then 80% of restaurant chains serve faux food.

Old Aug 8, 2003, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
I'm bumping this because it's so good and I'm heading to Japan mid-September!

Makes it easier to find again next time I want to refer to it.

Kathy
Old Aug 8, 2003, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Funny thing about the yakatori pictures... they sort of all looked the same.
We experimented.

Old Mar 13, 2005, 6:55 am
Original Poster

bumped for an FT'er going to Miyajima, have fun!
Old Mar 15, 2005, 9:42 am

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Great Report!

What a great old report, and still completely timely several years later. I sent the section about the pachinko parlor (after laughing for 5 minutes) to my Marine son who is being posted to MCAS Iwakuni (near Hiroshima) in June. My husband and I can't wait to visit him and travel around, once he's been there a while and knows the ropes. Thanks for bumping the report.
Old May 18, 2008, 1:40 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards, Star Alliance, PC Plat Amb, Delta
Smile Oi River Fishing Trip Instructions

[QUOTE=Sweet Willie;2643303]

Our two highlights (as if the other attractions were mediocre!) in Kyoto were Sanjusangendo Hall and cormorant fishing on the Oi river. Sanjusangendo Hall contains 1000 life size, for Japan at least statues of the thousand handed Kanon which are displayed in a 400' wooden long hall. 500 are on each side of a 19' large Kanon. While we were there, some Buddhist monks were chanting and incense filled the air. Wow! Was it cool!! By the way, each statue does not have actually 1,000 hands, they only have 40 but each hand can save 25 worlds!
At dusk/night we also viewed cormorant fishing from our personally guided wooden boat (decked out w/candle lit lanterns), on the Oi river. To get to the Oi river from Kyoto station, either take the JR Sagano Line (you can use your railpass) and get off at the Saga Arishiyama station or take the Keifuku Railway to Arashiyama Station. From both walk to the river (it's pretty evident which way) and the bridge that crosses it, the Togetsu Bridge. On either side of the river will be boats lined up that will take you to see the fishing. A tip, most people get onboard the first boats they see (the side of the river closest to the stations), we walked across the river and had a boat all to ourselves which was VERY nice! When darkness falls the fishing boats light a fire in an iron basket which is hung at the front of the boat over the water. The light attracts the fish. The cormorants are on lines that the man tending them reels in when the birds come up w/ a fish. Two other men paddle the boat. It wouldn't be Japan if they did not try to sell you something, so after the show a boat comes by selling everything from trinkets and fireworks to noodles/soup. After the sales ship leaves the boats are left to drift into a log wall at the top of a 5' waterfall and by the moonlight you watch the black water flow under your boat and over the waterfall. VERY COOL.

Hello Sweet Willie,

KT & I are celebrating 20 years by taking our first 3D/2N Kyoto trip next week. Am planning on both the temples you visited & probably a few more but am very keen about the Oi River Fishing Trip you enjoyed. Tried to find more info in the net about it but was unable to. Can you give me more details about where you found your info?
Thanks so much for your time.
Old May 18, 2008, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bmttokyo
KT & I are celebrating 20 years by taking our first 3D/2N Kyoto trip next week. Am planning on both the temples you visited & probably a few more but am very keen about the Oi River Fishing Trip you enjoyed. Tried to find more info in the net about it but was unable to. Can you give me more details about where you found your info?
Thanks so much for your time.
Hello bmttokyo, congrats on 20 years^^^

It was listed in one of our travel guide books (Frommers) so we set aside a couple nights on our itinerary to look into it when we were there. Once in Kyoto we confirmed with with a tourism office.

You might consider emailing where you are staying and asking them if the Oi River comorant fishing still exists. It was very popular so I would be amazed if it was not still going on.

Have fun and report back, let the FT community know about your experiences.

Congrats again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.