Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shinjuku Prince hotel - opinions?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2003, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Shinjuku Prince hotel - opinions?

Thanks for all the help on previous Japan questions! I've found a good rate (about $100) at the Shinjuku Prince hotel for a double (self and boyfriend). Any opinions on this hotel? I figure being near Shinjuku station will be good, and though I've heard rooms are cramped, we'll be gone most of the day, just around to sleep... our trip starts 5/8, so I've got to make reservations soon - any advice is appreciated!
Thanks,
Stephanie
Old May 1, 2003, 3:16 pm

Never been in this specific Prince, but I would go for it based on this excellent price.

The location is convenient, but somewhat odd. It is one block from Shinjuku Station's Kabukicho exit, wedged between the Yamanote train tracks and Kabukicho, the sleaziest entertainment district in Japan. Steer clear of the touts one street over.

Prince hotels are typical Japanese 4 stars, eg. modern building, large but sterile lobby, and small well-equipped rooms.
Old May 1, 2003, 8:18 pm

I think that's a good deal for somewhere in Shinjuku, esp if its a 4*, as u've said Shinjuku station is relatively nearby and there is plenty to do in and around shinjuku, plus being next to the station ur only a short trip away from shibuya, asakusa, roppongi, etc.

shinjuku and japan in generally is a safe place so i really wouldn't get concerned.
Old May 2, 2003, 1:24 am

It's right on top of the Seibu Railway Shinjuku Station, I think. And as monahos says, it's right next to Kabukicho, the mecca of the sex industry!
Old May 2, 2003, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks very much - the rate was really good, so I'm glad to hear the place isn't a dump I've made the reservations, and am getting excited about the trip- thanks again for all the help and advice!
Stephanie
Old Oct 15, 2013, 12:00 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
I know it is bad form to bump a post that has not had a comment for over 10 years, but does anyone know how much the WiFi costs at this property and is it relatively quick?

Also can anyone comment on this property vs the Sunroute Shinkuyu Plaza the latter being about US$20 more
Old Oct 15, 2013, 12:18 pm

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
I know it is bad form to bump a post that has not had a comment for over 10 years, but does anyone know how much the WiFi costs at this property and is it relatively quick?
I checked on the hotel website and found:
free internet in room

Tripadvisor says:
free wired internet in room
wifi in room chargeable
wifi in public area free

I believe it's free wired or wifi, private rooms or public areas since the Japanese language site should be updated.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 12:21 pm

Ah thanks, so free for my laptop with a cable, paid wireless in the room or free in the lobby
Old Oct 15, 2013, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Also can anyone comment on this property vs the Sunroute Shinkuyu Plaza the latter being about US$20 more
I have not stayed at Shinjuku Prince in a few years. But it is not a 4-star hotel as suggested above. My room was cramped and felt outdated. But it's got excellent location surrounded by all the hustle and bustle of Shinjuku and 5-min walk to JR Shinjuku. Also, it's part of the complex that has Pepe department store. Depending on the room, you could have a very nice view. The area is very busy and vibrant, almost too busy.

Sunroute Shinjuku Plaza also has excellent location. I like the Southern Terrace part of Shinjuku, as it's still busy but refined. The hotel is also closer to Shinjuku Station (esp JR and Odakyu) than the Prince. But the rooms at Sunroute chain are typically small and Sunroute is really more of a business hotel. I've never stayed at this particular location, so I can't comment on the cleanliness, etc.

I think it may be a toss-up between these two hotels. My favorite is Century Southern, followed by the likes of Keio Plaza and Hyatt Regency. Both Prince and Sunroute are a couple notches below those hotels.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 11:02 pm

Great advice thanks. This is my first visit to Tokyo and I am lame when it comes to finding my way around, so findability of my hotel is important too. I will carry on considering and have added your suggestions into the mele too.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by evergrn
I think it may be a toss-up between these two hotels. My favorite is Century Southern, followed by the likes of Keio Plaza and Hyatt Regency. Both Prince and Sunroute are a couple notches below those hotels.
You prefer the Century Southern and Regency to the Park Hyatt??
Old Oct 16, 2013, 5:17 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by hailstorm
You prefer the Century Southern and Regency to the Park Hyatt??
I prefer their prices. YMMV.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stayed at this hotel in late February 2011 when I was in town to find a new abode! The area around the Prince Shinjuku is fairly tawdry.The lobby was an interesting peek at historical pre-bubble interior design. The staff was efficient and gave us an upgrade to one of their newly (2011) renovated rooms. Our room had a nice view over Kabukicho. It certainly is NOT a 4 star hotel, but a pretty good 2-3 star hotel.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the room is a double. what size is the bed?
Old Oct 16, 2013, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slawecki
the room is a double. what size is the bed?
http://www.princehotels.com/en/shinjuku/guest-rooms

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.