Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Narita International Airport (NRT) - Layover & Hotel
Where to stay overnight and what to do nearby

Narita Airport (NRT) is approximately 60 km from central Tokyo. It is blessed with numerous hotels, many with shuttles (served from the terminals' bus platforms) and often at surprisingly low rates for Japan. Some of these hotels offer free shuttles into the nearby city of Narita (Narita-shi).

If you have a few hours (say six or more) Narita offers many things to do--the Narita-san Shinsho-ji Temple and Park is beautiful and pleasant and on weekends one often sees performances of traditional arts and music. The Omotesando street leading there is lined with shops and restaurants, as well as a local museum.

See Mike Newman's Narita Layover Pages for many things one can do.

See the thorough online Japan Guide.

Read this article on CNN.

Some of the hotels at/near Narita Airport:
A - Radisson Hotel Narita https://www.radisson.com/narita-hote...-0221/jpnarita
B - Narita Gateway Hotel http://www.reservations.com/hotel/na...FQ-bfgodLi4M0A
C - Narita Excel Hotel Tokyu http://www.tokyuhotelsjapan.com/en/h...RIT/index.html
D - Narita View Hotel http://www.viewhotels.co.jp/narita/english/
E - Hilton Narita http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/jap...IHI/index.html
F - ANA Crowne Plaza Hotel https://www.ihg.com/crowneplaza/hote...cp/hoteldetail
G - Marroad International Hotel Narita http://www.marroad.jp/narita/eindex.htm
H - Narita Tobu Hotel http://www.tobuhotel.co.jp.e.mi.hp.transer.com/narita/
I - Hotel Nikko Narita http://www.nikko-narita.com/english/
J - Narita Airport Rest House (located inside the airport) http://www.apo-resthouse.com/english/
K - Toyoko Inn Narita Kuko http://www.toyoko-inn.com/e_hotel/00037/
L - Skycourt Narita http://www.sky-hotel.jp/narita/en/

Print Wikipost

Narita Int'l. Airport (NRT) Layover & Hotel Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2019, 3:13 am

Programs: UA Million Miler.
Thanks for all the great suggestions. ��
Old Sep 17, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by ErikStratton
Thanks for all the great suggestions. ��
Senator Blutarsky says, "Hi!"
ErikStratton likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 9:39 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

One thing I liked that is easy to do and not yet mentioned is the Japan National History museum, a short walk (directions marked in English as well as Japanese) from the station Keisei Sakura on the Keisei line (the JR Sakura station is not nearby). You take a Keisei line limited express to do this; the ride takes 23 minutes each way and currently costs Y460.

The museum has a modest admission charge and there is am audio tour in English. It's easy to spend a couple of hours doing this and it's a nice addition to a visit to Narita town if you have a few extra hours, like the OP does.

A bit more complex to get to and from, but also very nice, is the Boso No Mura open air museum, which also has a very modest admission charge. Information about this "living history" museum, including access information, is here:

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6403.html

I enjoyed both of these places. Added to a standard Narita temple visit this is an interesting day without spending the time necessary to travel to and from Tokyo.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by sodaisei
I think you have enough time to take the Skyliner train to Ueno and enjoy some time in Ueno before coming back.
The Keisei Skyliner takes about 41 minutes from Narita Airport to Ueno.

The Narita Express (N'EX) takes you from Narita Airport to Tokyo Station in about 53 minutes.

There are other Narita-Tokyo transportation options here: Transportation options from Narita Airport to Tokyo

Last edited by muji; Sep 21, 2019 at 9:22 am
Old Oct 23, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: ANA Diamond
So a change of plans has left me with a 26 hour stop over at Narita. I almost never fly through Narita if I can help it, and if I do I never leave the airport. I plan on going to Tokyo and having dinner with some friends and will probably find a hotel and sleep in the city. I was simply going to take the NEX and buy a roundtrip ticket, but I am just slightly confused as to if this is possible. I know that I can buy 2 one ways for ~3200 yen, but the JR website tells me that there is a roundtrip ticket for ~4100 yen. When I look for more details the website says I need to reserve at least 3 days in advance. So am I not eligible for this ticket, or am I just reading the wrong thing? Thanks
Old Oct 23, 2019, 6:01 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ETHFlyer
So a change of plans has left me with a 26 hour stop over at Narita. I almost never fly through Narita if I can help it, and if I do I never leave the airport. I plan on going to Tokyo and having dinner with some friends and will probably find a hotel and sleep in the city. I was simply going to take the NEX and buy a roundtrip ticket, but I am just slightly confused as to if this is possible. I know that I can buy 2 one ways for ~3200 yen, but the JR website tells me that there is a roundtrip ticket for ~4100 yen. When I look for more details the website says I need to reserve at least 3 days in advance. So am I not eligible for this ticket, or am I just reading the wrong thing? Thanks
You can purchase a r/t ticket on the spot upon arrival to NRT. Depending on which hotel you choose, you may want to consider the Limousine Bus as it has door to door service to many hotels in Tokyo which can be handy when there is inclement weather, or other such considerations.
evergrn likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by ETHFlyer
When I look for more details the website says I need to reserve at least 3 days in advance.
Not sure where you read that. Their webpage says "As purchase is not available outside of Japan, we recommend buying the ticket immediately after arrival at Narita Airport."

There are cheaper options from Narita, such as busses, for as little as 1,000 yen one way.
See here: Transportation options from Narita Airport to Tokyo
evergrn likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: DL DM
Is 4.5 hours enough time to leave the airport and head into Narita city for a little while on a Monday? I land at 1:30pm on a CI flight and then depart at 6pm on a DL flight.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by eneq
Is 4.5 hours enough time to leave the airport and head into Narita city for a little while on a Monday? I land at 1:30pm on a CI flight and then depart at 6pm on a DL flight.
It's plenty of time. On the cusp, worth it if you've never been. I have lounge access, and have been before so I wouldn't do it personally, but for a first timer, it's a nice side trip.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Yes, you should able to do that. Most practical way will be take a train. Keep in mind that trains may not run as frequent. Keisei runs about three trains per hour (every 20 min.) between Narita Airport and Narita. JR only runs one or two trains per hour between Narita Airport and Narita. Keisei Narita Airport station and JR Narita Airport station are at same location, but Keisei Narita station and JR Narita station are close by but not at the same location. It is advised to check train schedule so that you will not be late returning to the airport.

Leaving the airport, the train station of Keisei and JR is at the same location so simply take which ever is the first train to Narita. Returning, Narita stations is not at the same location for Keisei and JR, it will work out better if you have train schedule for the return to Narita Airport so that accidently you do not end up coming back late at Narita Airport.

I have done that, when my flight was out of NRT at late afternoon/early evening (5 - 6 p.m. departure), rather than ask for late check-out at a hotel in Tokyo head out to Narita airport and check-in by 1 - 2 p.m. Then head to Narita city and return to the airport for my flight.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 11:30 am

I presume your bags will be checked through?
if so, you should have a little over 2hrs to spend at Narita city. You would walk down Omotesando (closer to JR station than Keisei, although latter is not that far either) towards the temple and back.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 1:28 pm

Please play devil’s advocate re our plan below. Is it doable or horrible?

Arriving NRT 11/28/19 Thursday 4:45 PM.

Going to take a car service from NRT to either Hilton Tokyo or Conrad.

Going to shower and stow bags at hotel.

Going souvenir/stocking-stuffer shopping near general area of hotel. Think Tokyu Hands or Daiso level of shopping.

Going to check out of hotel and head for HND. Flight to MNL leaves 11/29/19 Friday 1:30 AM.

Thanks!
Old Nov 14, 2019, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by imbisibol

Going souvenir/stocking-stuffer shopping near general area of hotel. Think Tokyu Hands or Daiso level of shopping.

Going to check out of hotel and head for HND. Flight to MNL leaves 11/29/19 Friday 1:30 AM.

Thanks!
Hi,

Just to confirm you are just talking about a 8 hour layover? ( ie leaving for MNL early morning)

By the time you get to Hilton or Conrad it will probably be appproaching 7pm and the hotels can be pricey so seems poor value.

You will probably not have a lot of time for shopping ( Tokyu hands shinjuku closes at 9pm)

But good luck if you want to try this.

If on JAL or ANA from HND you may be able to check in bags early so it might be better to go to HND, check in,get a shower then perhaps visit nearby or Gina/Shimbashi.

Regards

TBS
Old Nov 14, 2019, 7:14 pm

TBS, thanks for the input. Yes, it’s only an 8 hour layover for us. Going to burn Hilton points, but you’re right that such may not be smart to use up either 70K or 95K points for Hilton or Conrad.

We are indeed on JAL Business so will look at the option of checking into HND early, showering there, and then heading out again to shop.

More input from others very welcome.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by imbisibol

Yeah just go to HND first, check in all ur bags except the one you’re going to stuff ur gifts into (can leave that with one of the storage/cloak services at HND), shower landside if you want at a shower facility there (prob too complicated to go to an airside lounge And then trying to reenter Jpn). Then maybe u can take Keikyu train to Kamata. There’s a Donkihote store there that’s open late... maybe 15min walk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.