Wiki Posts
Search

General Acceptance of Apple Pay backed by Discover card

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2023, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum
Question General Acceptance of Apple Pay backed by Discover card

As Discover card is awarding 5% cash back through Apple Pay until the end of this month, I'm wondering whether these establishments accept Apple Pay backed by Discover card?

-Restaurants in general
-Department stores
-Local JR train rides
-Convenience shops such as Lawson, 7-11, Family Mart
-Restaurants and shops at Disneysea
-Apple store for battery replacement service
-LIFE supermarkets (also do LIFE supermarkets offer tax-free purchases for toursits?)

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 17, 2023, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by hightide
-Local JR train rides
I thought Discover was considered JCB within JP? You can try topping up a mobile Suica/Pasmo/Icoca if you have one. Otherwise you'd be attempting to reload a physical suica with a CC in-person, which would still require cash Japan - No longer accepts Discover Card for credit?
Old Sep 21, 2023, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by freecia
I thought Discover was considered JCB within JP? You can try topping up a mobile Suica/Pasmo/Icoca if you have one. Otherwise you'd be attempting to reload a physical suica with a CC in-person, which would still require cash Japan - No longer accepts Discover Card for credit?
yeah, wherever there's a JCB logo in Japan, my Discover card always physically works. However, I have never attempted using the Discover card through Apple Pay.
Old Sep 23, 2023, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
US Apple Pay doesn’t work in Japan. Period, end of story.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 7:02 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by ainternational
US Apple Pay doesn’t work in Japan. Period, end of story.
Factually wrong, I've used my CashApp, Monzo, and AmEx cards through Apple Pay at 7-Eleven, Lawson, Aeon, and numerous other stores through Apple Pay with no issue.
A319 V2500 likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by jamar
Factually wrong, I've used my CashApp, Monzo, and AmEx cards through Apple Pay at 7-Eleven, Lawson, Aeon, and numerous other stores through Apple Pay with no issue.
Factually wrong? Are you sure?

Even at the Apple Store in Tokyo they told me Apple Pay doesn’t work for US customers with US phones in Japan. But that was a year ago so it may have changed. This was with a VISA card which works fine in America and was issued in America on a US phone with US region settings roaming in Japan.

This article on the Apple website seems to confirm it.

https://developer.apple.com/tap-to-pay/#:~:text=Tap%20to%20Pay%20on%20iPhone%20is%20curre ntly%20available%20in%20the,Tap%20to%20Pay%20on%20 iPhone.

Likewise confirmed here by other users with US phones and US credit cards when Apple Pay was setup in the US and works there but not in Japan (and vice versa).

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294232-i525-k10229684-US_ApplePay_in_Japan-Japan.html

Perhaps there are unstated reasons why it may work for some and not others. I lived in Japan for years and tried it continually as well as called Apple support in Japan and America. Who knows maybe iOS17 changed it or something else but when Apple’s own website says it isn’t supported with tap to pay, it makes one wonder.

Where was your phone purchased (country), where was your non Japanese credit or debit card issued (country) and what’s the region setting on your phone at the time of Apple Pay setup and cards connected as well as now? Each of these things plus the physical iPhone model number matter according to what I was told by Apple at the store in Ginza. Care to share answers to the above about you?

Last edited by ainternational; Sep 24, 2023 at 10:50 pm
Old Sep 25, 2023, 1:42 am

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
I used Apple Pay in Japan a few weeks ago. It was at a shop at Haneda Airport. Phone was purchased in China. Card used was US-issued Apple credit card (MasterCard). Regional setting is USA.

That said, Apple Pay didn't work in many places. I tried at a Uniqlo and it didn't work, but using the physical Apple credit card did work, for example.

Technically, Apple Pay also works for recharging Suica. So for convenience stores, I just use my iPhone-based SUICA charged by Apple Pay, which gets me the 2% cash back.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 6:20 am

Even at the Apple Store in Tokyo they told me Apple Pay doesn’t work for US customers with US phones in Japan. But that was a year ago so it may have changed. This was with a VISA card which works fine in America and was issued in America on a US phone with US region settings roaming in Japan.

https://developer.apple.com/tap-to-p...%20on%20iPhone.

Likewise confirmed here by other users with US phones and US credit cards when Apple Pay was setup in the US and works there but not in Japan (and vice versa).

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...pan-Japan.html

Perhaps there are unstated reasons why it may work for some and not others. I lived in Japan for years and tried it continually as well as called Apple support in Japan and America. Who knows maybe iOS17 changed it or something else but when Apple’s own website says it isn’t supported with tap to pay, it makes one wonder.

Where was your phone purchased (country), where was your non Japanese credit or debit card issued (country) and what’s the region setting on your phone at the time of Apple Pay setup and cards connected as well as now? Each of these things plus the physical iPhone model number matter according to what I was told by Apple at the store in Ginza. Care to share answers to the above about you?
yes this is incorrect. just tell the shop/clerk you’re paying with credit card and the machine will accept your “Apple Pay” payment from your phone/watch (sometimes to the surprise of the clerk, lol). I have done this at hundreds of shops/restaurants around Japan (with my us/uk phones on USA region) - don’t carry my wallet with me half the time anymore, especially on bike rides
bmwe92fan likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 12:06 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP

https://developer.apple.com/tap-to-p...%20on%20iPhone.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...pan-Japan.html

First off, the "tap to pay" you linked is about using your iPhone to acceptpayments, in other words, people tapping their phones or cards to your phone and processing a card transaction. It's not about using your phone to pay.

That being said, my iPhone 11 is from the US (it was a Tracfone model, bought at Walmart on Black Friday special, so it was only US$200 in exchange for being locked to Tracfone for 2 months), and I've successfully used cards from the US and Canada. Region is US, model is A2111.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 7:45 am

Wow. Shocked as mine never worked while I lived there. Look forward to trying it again later this year.
pesos and bmwe92fan like this.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Wow. Shocked as mine never worked while I lived there. Look forward to trying it again later this year.
I use it all the time here -- US Phone with US CC -- no issues now but it doesn't work everywhere... Works fine for me at the local grocery store -- but won't work in some restaurants -- I think the newer equipment is much better...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.