Search

Apple Watch Ultra and Digital Suica?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2023, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Apple Watch Ultra and Digital Suica?

So the digital Suica is in my iPhone 14 Pro Max’s wallet, but not in my watch. Why? How do I fix this so I can use my watch instead of taking out my phone?
Old Sep 20, 2023, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by lsquare
So the digital Suica is in my iPhone 14 Pro Max’s wallet, but not in my watch. Why? How do I fix this so I can use my watch instead of taking out my phone?
I don't have that version of Apple Watch -- Have you tried adding the Suica manually to your watch? On my (basic) watch some of the cards would transfer automatically -- and some wouldn't -- including transit cards...
Old Sep 20, 2023, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I don't have that version of Apple Watch -- Have you tried adding the Suica manually to your watch? On my (basic) watch some of the cards would transfer automatically -- and some wouldn't -- including transit cards...
If I add it manually, how will my balance sync with the phone?
Old Sep 20, 2023, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
If I add it manually, how will my balance sync with the phone?
It’s the same way credit cards do - it has a unique number….
lsquare likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 11:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
I have this watch and the iPhone 14, you have to go to the watch app on the iPhone, then click wallet within the watch app, and there's a list of the SUICA cards with an "ADD" button next to transfer it to your watch. Watch has to be charged/turned on for it to work.

You can't have the SUICA in both places, it's either on the watch, or on the phone, and you can't transfer it between the two mid-journey, so make sure your watch is charged enough for the trip, or you will end up charging it on the floor of the train station by plugging it into your laptop if you have that and thet the charging cable with you. Ask me how I know this...
Old Sep 20, 2023, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
It’s the same way credit cards do - it has a unique number….
Originally Posted by seigex
I have this watch and the iPhone 14, you have to go to the watch app, then the wallet (this is the watch app's wallet, not the main phone's wallet), and there's an "ADD" button next to the suica's from the main wallet app to transfer it to your watch. Watch has to be charged/turned on for it to work.

You can't have the SUICA in both places, it's either on the watch, or on the phone, and you can't transfer it between the two mid-journey, so make sure your watch is charged enough for the trip, or you will end up charging it on the floor of the train station by plugging it into your laptop if you have that and thet the charging cable with you. Ask me how I know this...
Ok, sounds like I'll just keep Suica on my phone. One less proprietary cable to worry about. I can live with a dead Apple Watch. I can't live with a dead iPhone. I'll be upgrading to the new iPhone 15 Pro Max soon so it's nice to have one universal cable.
bmwe92fan likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 11:53 pm

Ok, sounds like I'll just keep Suica on my phone. One less proprietary cable to worry about. I can live with a dead Apple Watch. I can't live with a dead iPhone. I'll be upgrading to the new iPhone 15 Pro Max soon so it's nice to have one universal cable.
I keep one on my watch to pay for things, but the watch itself doesn't have power reserve transit card mode like the phone does in case of a dead battery. Best to use your phone for transit related taps and the watch you can keep a separate SUICA on for food/konbini/etc purchases.
lsquare likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 1:41 am

I can live with a dead Apple Watch. I can't live with a dead iPhone.
My reasoning for where to keep my transit suica between these two devices with good batteries is opposite of yours with the same need of non-dead iPhone (assuming watch can hold enough charge after a long arrival flight/workout) - The Apple Watch is already on my wrist with no chance of dropping it while moving at urban local pedestrian pace and aiming at an envelope sized target. My phone, on the other hand... I'd literally be lost much of the time without the maps if it got significantly damaged. I don't want to figure out how to replace an iPhone screen ASAP and it would seriously bug me to use a cracked screen.

Yes, I can be a klutz, especially when I'm carrying too much in my hands or my purse is too full & retrieving my phone will also possibly eject some purse trash, dejectedly lobbing it at someone's feet like a bad romcom handkerchief. Additionally, since I use my phone a good bit for maps, my phone battery usage is higher than normal with a higher likelihood of needing a power bank for top up. My watch battery is often still fine even after 10-20k steps.

Nice thing is that you can transfer the suica between the Watch and iPhone so you can easily try both. Just don't do it mid-journey (as mentioned) after tapping to enter and before tapping to exit as that is not supported.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by freecia; Sep 21, 2023 at 1:57 am
Old Sep 24, 2023, 8:12 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
You can move it from the phone to the watch, but it can only be in one place at a time, if I recall correctly. You can always have more than one.
bmwe92fan and lsquare like this.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
You can move it from the phone to the watch, but it can only be in one place at a time, if I recall correctly. You can always have more than one.
Yes you can have more than one mobile SUICA/Pasmo/ICOCA cards on the phone/watch, but the same card cannot be shared between the phone/watch and only be moved between the phone/watch. Also only one card at a time can be set for express transit mode if you have more than one mobile SUICA/Pasmo/ICOCA cards.

I do have both mobile SUICA and Clipper Card (BART's debit transit card similar to SUICA) set for transit mode so I didn't even have to toggle between the two cards when I take BART to SFO for my flights to Japan.
lsquare likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 8:09 pm

deleted
Old Sep 26, 2023, 8:09 pm

I keep one on my watch to pay for things, but the watch itself doesn't have power reserve transit card mode like the phone does in case of a dead battery. Best to use your phone for transit related taps and the watch you can keep a separate SUICA on for food/konbini/etc purchases.
I thought iPhones and Apple Watches have a tiny reserve after it reaches 0% for Express Transit Cards? This is making me think twice about putting my Suica on my Watch lol
Old Sep 26, 2023, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Angusgor
I thought iPhones and Apple Watches have a tiny reserve after it reaches 0% for Express Transit Cards? This is making me think twice about putting my Suica on my Watch lol
“There’s a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there’s usually only one thing you can do.” -The Princess Bride

In the case of a powered off iPhone, that counts as all dead and you'll still be looking to charge your device before you can exit an automated gate. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212171

Also TIL Chargespot is a power bank rental service https://chargespot.jp/ from https://www.reddit.com/r/japanlife/c...one_in_a_cafe/ They've even integrated some into train ticket machine areas and by ATMs https://chargespot.jp/article/3594/ Not that I'd willingly plug unknown-to-me cables or chargers into my devices but nice to know such a service is fairly widespread if you rely on mobile wallets and minimalist carry. Video to show what to look for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9_B4ML8tGk
lsquare likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Angusgor
iphones do, they have reserve battery specifically set aside to allow you to use your transit card (power reserve mode), which takes very little energy.. watches don't including the ultra
lsquare likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 4:49 pm

iphones do, they have reserve battery specifically set aside to allow you to use your transit card (power reserve mode), which takes very little energy.. watches don't including the ultra
ah you're right... dang need to be careful putting it on my watch.
seigex and lsquare like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.