Wiki Posts
Search

Fly or take train Kyoto-HND?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2023, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, 2 MM
Fly or take train Kyoto-HND?

Hello, I am returning HND-MSP on November 25. I thought it would be easy to take a bullet train from Kyoto (my tour ends the morning of November 25 in Kyoto) to HND, but it appears it isn’t. I will have to switch trains somewhere and pick up the Haneda Express. I have read Japanese train stations are hard to navigate. They’re big and lack of English can be a problem. Some people are suggesting I fly to HND in the late morning for my 5:15 pm flight to MSP. But flights can be unpredictable, usually because of weather. I think trains are a safer option (and I do not want to stay overnight in Tokyo). Another problem I’ve heard on Japanese trains is they don’t accommodate luggage well. I have never been to Japan so I don’t know what to do. Any suggestions? Thank you!
Old Sep 9, 2023, 3:18 pm

Programs: United, Virgin, BA, AA
We returned from our first trip to Japan in mid-July and about the easiest time we had was navigating the trains. We used our JR rail pass for almost all of our travel.

Not sure where you got your information from, but every train we took - all information was in Japanese and English, whether spoken or on the information boards, platforms included. And if we had a question someone was always on hand to help.

There is plenty of room for luggage, but if you are worried, you can prebook luggage for the bullet train from Kyoto to Tokyo. However, we never did and never struggled to find space. However, I guess it depends on how much luggage you have.

On our last day, we travelled back from Mt. Fuji on The Romance Car and transferred to Haneda Express.

We never considered flying as taking the trains is a very memorable experience when visiting Japan.

I am sure there are others who can chime in with more precise information for you to make a decision.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 3:39 pm

You just need to take the Shinkansen from Kyoto to Shinagawa and it is a 15 minute train ride to Haneda from there. When you're in Shinagawa there will be plenty of RED signs with a plane on them so even if it is not in English it is not that hard to figure it out (just make sure you don't accidentally go to NRT). If you have a carry on it will fit on the overhead luggage rack on the Shinkansen easily, if three sides measures more than 160cm you will need to reserve a special seat on the Shinkansen (most luggages do not exceed 160cm and regular seats do have plenty of leg room). Look up the train schedules for the Keikyu line so you know which trains are going to Haneda at what time.

Obviously leave some time incase you get lost in Shinagawa Station since it is a large station.

If you have an iPhone you can just load a Suica Card on it and you don't have to worry about buying anything for the "Haneda Express"

Train & Monorail | Access | Haneda Airport Passenger Terminal (tokyo-haneda.com)

Last edited by Angusgor; Sep 9, 2023 at 3:45 pm
Old Sep 9, 2023, 3:51 pm

Can you do without your big luggage for 2-3 days? You will have to mail it from Kyoto on Nov 22 or 23, it'll be like 2500yen($20) byt worth it

Having to drag two suitcases, plus finding the elevator, and navigating the station to meet the train that departs in exactly 5 min - yes, that's tough

But if you give yourself enough time and can take the escalator with carryon, makes it less stressful. The shinkansen signs are big in English, hard to miss, see https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki...d_20090212.jpg

. . The local train should still have some English (see the same image above but smaller words), and you'll have to be careful not to get on the wrong one (the train at the platform at 7:02 may not be your train scheduled at 7:04). You can see some even says distance to platform
jaimemayo likes this.

Last edited by paperwastage; Sep 9, 2023 at 4:00 pm
Old Sep 9, 2023, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shinagawa is the most convenient of the Tokyo super stations whenever I’m in Japan and I’ve also navigated it as a wheelchair user and as a mum with an infant in a buggy, all with and without luggage, but, when I have it, lots of luggage.

I find it the easiest, least confusing and, somehow, most peaceful, least anxiety inducing of the capital’s major stations.

What would confuse me would be holding onto the notion of “Haneda Express”. There isn’t a service with this name that departs from Shinagawa.

Look for the Keikyu line and get a Limited Express to Haneda Airport Terminal 3.

Pro tip: when you arrive at the Keikyu platform at Shinagawa, squeeze past the throng of waiting passengers and move along to the far end of the platform where the first carriages (where the driver is) stop. This part is almost invariably less crowded than the back end of the train and closer to the exit point at Terminal 3.
roberto99, lsquare and jaimemayo like this.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
I take the Keikyu Line pretty regularly from HND to Shinagawa with a large suitcase and carryon several times per year - doing it again twice next week. It is easy to navigate. As the picture shows, when you transfer from the shinkansen part of Shinagawa station to the local trains follow the red stripe saying KK line to Haneda. Also, Google Maps has pretty accurate information on train time and platforms.

A few years ago I made it around Japan with my in-laws, my wife and kids including a kid in stroller, and a large piece of luggage each. Only real tricky part can be finding the elevators. Other than that you can find space for the luggage on the shinkansens and the ride to HND is short.

The other thing you could do is take the shinkansen to Shinagawa and take a cab from there -- about $30-40 USD at current exchange rates. A couple times I have taken a cab vs. the KK line when staying at a hotel a little farther from Shinigawa -- but that has more to do with the walk from the station to hotel vs. the train vs. cab.
jaimemayo likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 5:26 pm

Programs: Delta
Flying is certainly convenient if you've got luggage. Take a limousine bus from Kyoto station to Itami airport. There are free luggage carts you can use right in front of the bus stop. It's a very short walk to the terminal (ANA or JAL). Those airlines will check your bags through to your final international destination even when you have two separate tickets. So, when you get to Haneda there is no luggage to worry about. Only need to arrive one hour before check-in. If you buy that domestic ticket a month or so ahead of time, it's usually cheaper than a shinkansen ticket. Just presenting this as an option.
jaimemayo likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by nishimark
Flying is certainly convenient if you've got luggage. Take a limousine bus from Kyoto station to Itami airport. There are free luggage carts you can use right in front of the bus stop. It's a very short walk to the terminal (ANA or JAL). Those airlines will check your bags through to your final international destination even when you have two separate tickets. So, when you get to Haneda there is no luggage to worry about. Only need to arrive one hour before check-in. If you buy that domestic ticket a month or so ahead of time, it's usually cheaper than a shinkansen ticket. Just presenting this as an option.
I'll put a vote for flying as well. On the sum of things, it is likely to slower than the Shinkansen option, but probably a lot more convenient. Not that stations are particularly difficult to navigate even with luggage, but there is something practical about handing the luggage in Itami, and not seeing it again until MSP.
Aurelian and jaimemayo like this.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
..but there is something practical about handing the luggage in Itami, and not seeing it again until MSP.
If taking a domestic flight in Japan that is not part of the international ticket and booked separately, then you would need to re-check the baggage at HND after arrival.

It may be possible to connect the baggage through at Itami if flying out to MSP on the same airline (or partner airline), but I've never done this so you should check with the airline(s). Usually when ticketed separately it isn't possible, but I'd be pretty sure someone here should know. (but if going to MSP direct that's probably Delta, which has no partnership with either JAL or ANA)

Also, there is transfer at HND from the Domestic Terminal to the Int'l Terminal via shuttle bus (takes 5-10 minutes) and if needing to re-check your baggage you may need to carry your baggage on the shuttle bus with you.
Chemystery and jaimemayo like this.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, 2 MM
Yes, I did think about having to change airlines from domestic to international. You are correct; I am flying Delta. That would mean claiming my luggage at HND and then getting to the international terminal and checking my luggage again in international.

Maybe the train is my best option.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by alan11
If taking a domestic flight in Japan that is not part of the international ticket and booked separately, then you would need to re-check the baggage at HND after arrival.

It may be possible to connect the baggage through at Itami if flying out to MSP on the same airline (or partner airline), but I've never done this so you should check with the airline(s). Usually when ticketed separately it isn't possible, but I'd be pretty sure someone here should know. (but if going to MSP direct that's probably Delta, which has no partnership with either JAL or ANA)

Also, there is transfer at HND from the Domestic Terminal to the Int'l Terminal via shuttle bus (takes 5-10 minutes) and if needing to re-check your baggage you may need to carry your baggage on the shuttle bus with you.
JAL and ANA will check through to international flights on separate tickets, even to non partners. Last I checked in at the counter for international connections at Fukuoka with JAL, the lady next to me was checking through to Delta no problem.
LapLap, Aurelian, aquanine and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 1:14 am

Programs: DL
If you’re worried about it then I would fly. The cost difference is probably not that much especially compared to your total trip cost, and it will take away a lot of stress. I would take a cab to the airport once you’re done in Kyoto then you’ll be in a very familiar system: luggage counters, airport transfer shuttles, etc. People can and do ride the train with luggage, but it’s just not as seamless as flying especially with large luggage.

When things go well it’s easy: board the right train with empty luggage space and you’re there. But then it can also go wrong:
  • Having to get creative with a 50lb bag because the large luggage racks are full or don’t exist on the car you boarded
  • Finding where the right train platform is, which may be beneath you or above or require going outside then down some steps and back inside
  • Trying to navigate a sea of people with a roller bag and find the elevators so you’re not blocking walkers
  • In fact finding a place to stop walking without blocking people, just to reference notes, can be difficult
  • Wondering if local, limited express, rapid limited express, and airport rapid limited express stop at terminal 3 or not for the same line
  • Buying the right fare
  • Finding a backup cab if things go wrong (which exit door are they waiting?)
  • Telling the cab driver where to go with limited Japanese skills

Personally I would only attempt this alone, with a small bag, and plenty of time to spare.
jaimemayo likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 1:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
One of the amazing things about travelling in Japan is their logistics system. Have the hotel call an overnight courier (jal ABC) and have them send your luggage to the airport the day before. This allows you to travel on the trains stress free.

If it was Osaka to haneda, I'd fly. Kyoto's train location vs the airport would lean me to the train.
jaimemayo likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 1:56 am

Programs: DL*DM/AA*G
Originally Posted by jaimemayo
I have read Japanese train stations are hard to navigate. They’re big and lack of English can be a problem.
The same is true (except for size) at more or less regional/domestic only airports, English is not necessarily spoken by most staff and signage may not be in English, at all.

Like others have said, trains and the stations do have everything in English and Japanese, especially in Kyoto, Osaka, and Tokyo: it's just a lot of text and you may need to take your time to slowly find and read the English text.

Two suitcases on the subway from Shinagawa may be tough because it can be cramped, but then ther is the monorail as well. Though if you avoid rush hour it won't be too bad.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 2:26 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by jaimemayo
Yes, I did think about having to change airlines from domestic to international. You are correct; I am flying Delta. That would mean claiming my luggage at HND and then getting to the international terminal and checking my luggage again in international.
A few months ago, we flew Delta from HND to SEA. Since we used miles for Delta, we had to purchase tickets separately from ITM to HND. Did that with JAL a couple of months before departure and paid half the price of a shinkansen ticket. JAL and Delta have no shared agreement. Regardless, JAL sent us to the international transfer check-in desk at ITM and checked the bags all the way through. In addition, they allowed for the international luggage standard rather than domestic, so we didn't have to pay any extra fee for luggage. Sure enough, next time we saw the bags was in Seattle. Very pleasant.

I've since heard from others that they had the same experience with ANA or JAL.
alan11, CPH-Flyer, LapLap and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.