Wiki Posts
Search

Recent Experiences at Tokyo Apple Stores

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2023, 10:35 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by lsquare
Such as what?
There are SO many things in Japan that require a local phone number -- granted most tourists would never notice it though... Almost anything you would sign up for in Japan requires it:
  • Gym membership -- Need a local phone number
  • Amazon deliveries -- Need a local phone number
  • Shipping a package -- many (most) times need local number
  • Local restaurant reservations -- many require a local phone number and won't accept international numbers
  • Buying tickets online to a museum / concerts -- so many now require a local phone number as they text you a confirmation link
  • Uber eats requires a local number now as well I believe
  • If you want to call a Japanese toll free number (0120) you will need a Japanese phone (many businesses are like this).
Also - anything contract related requires a local phone number -- like a bank account, credit card, real estate contracts (we own our home in Tokyo).

Is it 100% needed - no of course not I didn't have one for many years -- but trust me it makes so many things easier having it...
YariGuy, freecia, pudgym29 and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by freecia
Not Tokyo Apple specific, but as a somewhat frugal techie I'm admiring your iPhone 6 released 2014 is still in use and would say you might want to upgrade to this year/next year's model to get 5G network access if in the US as carriers phase out 3G https://swappa.com/blog/3g-network-s...0December%2031. That's just from a fundamental phone/sms emergency calling/alert tool perspective. I wouldn't go with iPhone 13 or 14 unless you have a need for a physical sim (13, as 14 US models went to an electronic sim instead of physical card) or prefer lightning cables (they'll still be around for 4+ years).
All non-US iPhone 15s have a physical SIM slot.
bocastephen likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 7:53 pm

All non-US iPhone 15s have a physical SIM slot.
Yup. Price wise, though, the non-US iPhones can be a bit more expensive than US depending on sales tax or VAT back. An iPhone 6 usually has no/very low trade in value though some carriers/BestBuy will occasionally run a promotion for any working phone's trade in value.
https://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphon...news-59877.php

The variant made for HK, Macau, China market has dual physical sim. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209086

iPhone 15 base model $800 USD = 119,838 JPY via current google exchange rate while the Apple JP price MSRP is 124,800 JPY. So possibly a good deal for US people if they find an unlocked variant with tax back or want a physical sim. Apple Canada's price $1,279 CAD = 139,639 JPY. Good deal for Apple DE EUR 949 = 149,768 JPY.

Last edited by freecia; Oct 18, 2023 at 8:03 pm
Old Oct 18, 2023, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by freecia
Yup. Price wise, though, the non-US can be a bit more expensive than US depending on sales tax or VAT back. An iPhone 6 usually has no/very low trade in value though some carriers/BestBuy will occasionally run a promotion for any working phone's trade in value.
https://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphon...news-59877.php

The variant made for HK, Macau, China market has dual physical sim. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209086
It's true, but worth it for FFs. I recommend the Canadian model since it doesn't have to comply with Japanese law and it works in the US with no problem. Too bad I had to pay 12% VAT. 😳 I have my T-Mobile and AT&T SIMs in it without any issues.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 8:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
It's true, but worth it for FFs. I recommend the Canadian model since it doesn't have to comply with Japanese law and it works in the US with no problem. Too bad I had to pay 12% VAT. 😳 I have my T-Mobile and AT&T SIMs in it without any issues.
Looking at the IP15 Pro Max 512GB, the Canada price including my trade in and sales tax is CAN$1,600 or about USD$1,166.

Buying and trading for the same phone in Japan will cost JPY125,800 after trade in, or USD$840

Buying in the USA from T-Mobile is highly confusing because they just canceled the $650 trade in value for legacy plans - but trying to add everything up gives me $1,172.50 as a final price.

Buying in the USA from Apple directly costs $941 after trade in.

So the winner is - Japan!
freecia and lsquare like this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Looking at the IP15 Pro Max 512GB, the Canada price including my trade in and sales tax is CAN$1,600 or about USD$1,166.

Buying and trading for the same phone in Japan will cost JPY125,800 after trade in, or USD$840

Buying in the USA from T-Mobile is highly confusing because they just canceled the $650 trade in value for legacy plans - but trying to add everything up gives me $1,172.50 as a final price.

Buying in the USA from Apple directly costs $941 after trade in.

So the winner is - Japan!
I don't disagree with the notion that it would be cheaper to buy in Japan, but I don't want my phone to comply with Japanese law!
Old Oct 18, 2023, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I don't disagree with the notion that it would be cheaper to buy in Japan, but I don't want my phone to comply with Japanese law!
Did we get consensus on whether or not a Japan-sold iPhone with a non-Japan region and SIM, and used outside of Japan will still give the shutter sound?
Old Oct 18, 2023, 10:51 pm

Did we get consensus on whether or not a Japan-sold iPhone with a non-Japan region and SIM, and used outside of Japan will still give the shutter sound?
depends what you mean by consensus - is there ever such a thing on FT? lol

the shutter sound has been silence-able abroad since ios 15:
https://k-tai.watch.impress.co.jp/do...w/1358307.html
Old Oct 18, 2023, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think outside of Japan will not have a sound, but it will make a sound if used within Japan.

I think that's what bmwe92fan said.
bocastephen and bmwe92fan like this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pesos
depends what you mean by consensus - is there ever such a thing on FT? lol

the shutter sound has been silence-able abroad since ios 15:
https://k-tai.watch.impress.co.jp/do...w/1358307.html
if I understood the article correctly, you need to put the phone in silent mode to stop the shutter sound regardless of location? If the ringer is enabled then Ill hear the shutter sound?
Old Nov 4, 2023, 11:39 am

T-Mobile mentioned something about giving me $1,000 credit for a new phone? Haven't looked in to the details, but obviously I'm going to to with that, even with the extremely favorable exchange rate environment. Though, I did visit the flagship Grand Seiko & Rimowa boutiques and considering doing some serious damage to my Amex. I feel like a kid in a candy shop with everything seemingly so cheap, from a USD perspective.
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Visconti
T-Mobile mentioned something about giving me $1,000 credit for a new phone? Haven't looked in to the details, but obviously I'm going to to with that, even with the extremely favorable exchange rate environment. Though, I did visit the flagship Grand Seiko & Rimowa boutiques and considering doing some serious damage to my Amex. I feel like a kid in a candy shop with everything seemingly so cheap, from a USD perspective.
I had the same offer from T-Mobile which they subsequently reneged on and changed my offer to $350. I told them to stick it in their Netflix. Ill be buying in Japan if I end up changing my phone
Old Nov 5, 2023, 1:32 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Visconti
T-Mobile mentioned something about giving me $1,000 credit for a new phone? Haven't looked in to the details, but obviously I'm going to to with that, even with the extremely favorable exchange rate environment.
I had the same offer from T-Mobile which they subsequently reneged on and changed my offer to $350. I told them to stick it in their Netflix. Ill be buying in Japan if I end up changing my phone
I have various US-issued credit cards that offer certain mobile phone-related credits but when I read the terms & conditions, they all apply to purchases made in the U.S., so I can't use them in Japan. I would assume the same for a T-Mobile credit for a new phone, you'd better check the term details before buying in Japan.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
I have various US-issued credit cards that offer certain mobile phone-related credits but when I read the terms & conditions, they all apply to purchases made in the U.S., so I can't use them in Japan. I would assume the same for a T-Mobile credit for a new phone, you'd better check the term details before buying in Japan.
The credits, at least for my Amex card are for monthly service not the phone itself.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 5:44 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
I'm not sure if this is the promotion referred to above about getting a $1,000 credit from T-Mobile for a new phone, but it sounds like it. According to the promotion details quoted below, to receive the credit, you would need to first buy a phone from a U.S. carrier and T-Mobile would pay off what you owe the carrier for that phone when you switch your service to T-Mobile, so a foreign mobile phone purchase would likely not qualify.
"Now, those customers can switch to T-Mobile, and well pay off what they owe the Carriers for their smartphone up to $1,000 and theyll save up to 20% on their family plan and get way more 5G coverage."
https://www.t-mobile.com/news/offers...off-your-phone

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.