Wiki Posts
Search

NEX or Keisei Skyliner?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2023, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, American Platinum, Singapore KrisFlyer
NEX or Keisei Skyliner?

I arrive in NRT at 7 pm and am staying at the AC hotel in Ginza. I am torn between the NEX and Keisei skyliner to get to my hotel. The fare is quite comparable, and I realize Tokyo Ueno station is about 7 km from the hotel as opposed to Tokyo Station. I plan to take a cab from the train station to the hotel anyway.

To me, the deciding factor is the ease of exchanging my online confirmation with the actual tickets. What do you recommend?
Old Jul 13, 2023, 5:45 am

If you plan to take a cab anyway, at that time, take the discounted bus to Tokyo station. Drops off at nihonbashi entrance. https://tyo-nrt.com/en 1300 yen.

Added, I dont think its so difficult to walk up to a counter and buy a ticket that it needs to be online. The counter for the bus is literally on the arrival level and walk out to catch the bus. There will also be taxis right where the bus drops off at tokyo station and you won't have to walk much at all. Like maybe 20 feet.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
You could also take the Friendly Limousine Bus to TCAT (Tokyo City Air Terminal) -- and then walk across the lobby and step right into a taxi and be about 5 minutes away from the AC hotel. Simple and inexpensive and the buses run every 20 minutes during the day on average.
uanj likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
My vote is for taking a bus to Tokyo station, especially if you have luggage.

Keisei and JR station at Narita Airport is located at basement of the terminal, ticketing area is B1 and platform is B2. Catching bus at Narita Airport is easier, same level as you come out of the arrival formalities at the terminal. I think it makes a difference if you have luggage.

Keisei Skyliner will take you to Keisei Ueno station which will be further from AC Hotel you are staying. JR NEX will take you to Tokyo station which is closest to AC Hotel (i.e. cheapest taxi ride), closer than TCAT of Limousine Bus. However, NEX arrives at the platform located at basement B5 underground. It is a long escalator ride up to the surface. I do think taking a bus to Tokyo station and catching taxi to AC hotel will be easier transfer at Tokyo station if you have luggage.
Topcare likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Although they have valid points to make, don't let others discourage you from taking the train if that's what you want to do. But, I would not bother buying tickets online in advance. Out of a desire to make things easier, you are making things more difficult. Just buy the ticket from the counter or vending machine when you get there. That also covers you in the situation where your flight is late and you have to make alternate arrangements at the last minute.

P.S. - I would take the N'EX rather than the SkyLiner.
lsquare and hdoraisamy like this.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M
P.S. - I would take the N'EX rather than the SkyLiner.
P.S. I would also take the cheap bus and train to Shimbashi and walk personally or possibly walk the whole way from Tokyo Station and grab some food and beer under the tracks on the way. ;-)
Old Jul 13, 2023, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all - very good suggestions! Appreciate it!
Old Jul 13, 2023, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’d take the Narita Sky Access Express train bound for Haneda. No need to change trains or deal with taxis as it’s a straight shot into town and it’s definitely cheaper than NEX or Skyliner. Take it to Shimbashi Station and then walk 10 mins to the hotel.

This is what I do when I have to fly into Narita.
hdoraisamy and Topcare like this.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I’d take the Narita Sky Access Express train bound for Haneda. No need to change trains or deal with taxis as it’s a straight shot into town and it’s definitely cheaper than NEX or Skyliner. Take it to Shimbashi Station and then walk 10 mins to the hotel.

This is the best answer, shortly followed by ‘whichever train is leaving first and gets you there fastest’. Just load a suica on your phone and let navitime or google maps tell you which train to get when you get to the station.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 5:09 am

you are right and i think OP can get off at higashi-ginza and walk. https://www.keisei.co.jp/keisei/tetu...ic/express.php
Old Jul 14, 2023, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Topcare
you are right and i think OP can get off at higashi-ginza and walk. https://www.keisei.co.jp/keisei/tetu...ic/express.php
Thanks. But doesn't this routing require a connection at Aoto to the Tokyo subway system?
Topcare likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hdoraisamy
Thanks. But doesn't this routing require a connection at Aoto to the Tokyo subway system?
No, the Skyliner requires this but the Narita Sky Access train runs from Narita to Haneda with no need to change trains. You’d get off at Shimbashi and walk to the AC Ginza. No need to change trains at all.
hdoraisamy and Topcare like this.

Last edited by travelinmanS; Jul 14, 2023 at 6:06 am
Old Jul 14, 2023, 6:53 am

No, the Skyliner requires this but the Narita Sky Access train runs from Narita to Haneda with no need to change trains. You’d get off at Shimbashi and walk to the AC Ginza. No need to change trains at all.
I think OPs hotel is closer to Higashi Ginza.

[Added which looks like a great hotel]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.