Search

You can now add ICOCA to Apple Pay

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2023, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by pesos
Not sure my dude. Try rebooting 3x. I have 16.5.1 🤷‍♂️
I want to keep using my internet connection while I wait for my flight to be up in the air. I’ll let you know in a few moments.

Apparently, I added too much to my digital Suica card. There are still ¥717 on it. I would love to consolidate on ICOCA if everything pans out.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 5:17 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by lsquare
So why is there another new card? What are the advantages?
The advantages are for locals in Japan, since while each company's cards are interchangeable for basic rides, you can only buy commuter passes on that company's card for the most part (so you can't buy a JR West commuter pass on a Suica or a JR East commuter pass on ICOCA).
lsquare and oldfolky like this.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 11:22 am

Could also have been the demand based outage
https://atadistance.net/2023/06/28/t...-icoca-launch/
Old Jun 28, 2023, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by jamar
The advantages are for locals in Japan, since while each company's cards are interchangeable for basic rides, you can only buy commuter passes on that company's card for the most part (so you can't buy a JR West commuter pass on a Suica or a JR East commuter pass on ICOCA).
See also the loyalty scheme I posted above. I presume JRWest make money from transaction fees for payments using the card so encourage you to use it for more than just transit. If it’s like JREPoints you only get points for purchases in JREast stations, JREast tickets etc.

I got about 1500¥ cash back to my suica through JREPoints so I look forward to collecting wester points on my next trip to Kansai, particularly as you seem to get them for booking through smartEX.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 1:36 am

This is the coding on my CSR 👍
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is the coding on my CSR 👍
3x UR?
Old Jun 29, 2023, 2:14 am

3x UR?
should be once it posts
joejones and lsquare like this.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

should be once it posts
That's awesome! My last concern is whether I can transfer the balance to a new phone when I will inevitably upgrade to the new iPhone 15 series.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 2:44 am

That's awesome! My last concern is whether I can transfer the balance to a new phone when I will inevitably upgrade to the new iPhone 15 series.
never had any issue moving my Suica/PASMO between phones

Last edited by pesos; Jun 29, 2023 at 3:13 am
Old Jun 29, 2023, 6:18 pm

I think I gave it an overnight sit (JP time) when I last migrated the card between devices https://atadistance.net/2017/09/17/u...uica-two-step/ but don't recall if it was mandatory or if I just hit the nightly maintenance window.

There's also a note on atadistance that you can't transfer it between phones while a trip is active.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by freecia
I think I gave it an overnight sit (JP time) when I last migrated the card between devices https://atadistance.net/2017/09/17/u...uica-two-step/ but don't recall if it was mandatory or if I just hit the nightly maintenance window.

There's also a note on atadistance that you can't transfer it between phones while a trip is active.
Maybe I made a mistake, but I thought I read the balance doesn't transfer over? Also, if I reformat the phone, the balance is lost since it's not saved to the cloud.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 6:52 pm

Maybe I made a mistake, but I thought I read the balance doesn't transfer over? Also, if I reformat the phone, the balance is lost since it's not saved to the cloud.
maybe best to clarify what exactly is being discussed. I assumed originally that you meant moving things over when you get a new phone - I have done this many times with all my cards intact. If you format the phone I’m not sure.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 8:11 pm

The balance is saved to iCloud wallet and does transfer over, even if you don't have a "registered"/named Suica. Works if your phone is stolen or lost though easier with second Apple device or desktop browser where you can sign into your iCloud device.
"Apple Pay Suica • PASMO • ICOCA cards are linked to your Apple ID" https://atadistance.net/apple-pay-suica/#Support
https://atadistance.net/2017/10/24/t...suica/#bricked
https://atadistance.net/2017/11/07/l...ple-pay-suica/

Not sure what Icoca has set the "inactive timeout" lockout to. Clarified: Suica is 6 months of inactivity https://atadistance.net/2018/04/26/u...he-suica-lock/ A recharge would reactivate it. You wouldn't be able to use an inactive card at an automated transit gate.

Since my preferred recharge method is a foreign Visa, I wouldn't be able to reactivate my Suica from outside JP by recharging it since it doesn't work for foreign Visa at the moment. I would need to charge it after entry at a transit kiosk with cash, some combini ATM with cash, sign up for MC/Discover/Amex, or ask to reactivate it (free quick-ish stop) at a staffed transit entry point like Tokyo monorail, subway, JR.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by freecia; Jun 29, 2023 at 11:11 pm
Old Jun 29, 2023, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freecia
Suica is 6 months of inactivity including recharge https://atadistance.net/2018/04/26/u...he-suica-lock/ You wouldn't be able to use an inactive card at an automated transit gate.
This is new to me, but then I probably recharged my mobile Suica within 6 months of my Japan trip in 3 years last time so I didn't notice such issue, but good to know and thank you for mentioning it.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 11:57 pm

Question, so if you have say both Suica and ICOCA loaded onto the same iphone, which card will be used when paying for fares?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.