Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two things I learned in Japan today

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2023, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FindingFoodFluency
I wish Haneda had a kuuben shop, much like the Tokyo station ekiben shop with bento from throughout the country. (actually, does it? It wouldn't seem so far-fetched.)
You said Haneda, and Haneda Terminals 1 & 2 have soraben (sky-bento) representing different areas in Japan.
@AlwaysAisle included a link in this thread
Any recs for bento/snacks for a Domestic JAL (S) flight from HND?

And this is the current page for 2023
?2023?????????20???????????????? ? ?????
translated here
https://tokyolucci-jp.translate.goog..._x_tr_pto=wapp

Beef Baumkuchen Sandwich anyone?

International terminal at Haneda is another matter…
Old Jun 27, 2023, 9:07 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Where is the APEC line at HND Int’l departure security? I’ll be running the gauntlet in a few days on my way back to Shanghai so if it’s an option I’d love to be clued in. Thanks!
On departure, I believe it's on the far right if you go through the Central Security and on the far left if you go through North Security. I have not seen North Security open yet this year. Just ask anyone who looks like they are tending the lines where to go. And be prepared to show your card often. On the way in I must have shown the card 5 times because the various "helpers" assumed I was in the wrong line.

I caved in and applied for the Japan Trusted Traveler Program after this last trip. The lines have become too unpredictable.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by uanj
On departure, I believe it's on the far right if you go through the Central Security and on the far left if you go through North Security. I have not seen North Security open yet this year. Just ask anyone who looks like they are tending the lines where to go. And be prepared to show your card often. On the way in I must have shown the card 5 times because the various "helpers" assumed I was in the wrong line.

I caved in and applied for the Japan Trusted Traveler Program after this last trip. The lines have become too unpredictable.
My TTP was approved recently and I will pick it up when I return soon -- quick question -- how does the TTP help when you LEAVE Japan with security?
uanj and lsquare like this.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
My TTP was approved recently and I will pick it up when I return soon -- quick question -- how does the TTP help when you LEAVE Japan with security?
I just found out about TTP. This is my second trip to Japan. Can I apply now or I'll have to do it outside the country? I'll be back in Tokyo in August. Is it possible to have my TTP by then?
Old Jun 27, 2023, 7:26 pm

Good question, unclear to me at this point. I would think they need to do something to have a totally discreet inflow at security for TTP/facial scanning in the future. At Haneda maybe it could be North Security which is currently not being used. If you find out anything let me know and I'll do the same. (From one ex-Hatchobori resident to a current one I sure miss clearing immigration at Hakozaki. Let's hope they get Haneda working as well as that.)

Originally Posted by lsquare
I just found out about TTP. This is my second trip to Japan. Can I apply now or I'll have to do it outside the country? I'll be back in Tokyo in August. Is it possible to have my TTP by then?
You can apply online now but it currently looks to be taking 6-8 weeks for approval. When approved you have to do an in-person interview at the airport when you next enter. The requirements are pretty clear on the Japan Trusted Travel Program pages of the Immigration Services of Japan website. Good luck!
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Good question, unclear to me at this point. I would think they need to do something to have a totally discreet inflow at security for TTP/facial scanning in the future. At Haneda maybe it could be North Security which is currently not being used. If you find out anything let me know and I'll do the same. (From one ex-Hatchobori resident to a current one I sure miss clearing immigration at Hakozaki. Let's hope they get Haneda working as well as that.)

You can apply online now but it currently looks to be taking 6-8 weeks for approval. When approved you have to do an in-person interview at the airport when you next enter. The requirements are pretty clear on the Japan Trusted Travel Program pages of the Immigration Services of Japan website. Good luck!
So there's nothing that I can do while still in Tokyo? Guess if I'm lucky, I'll be approved for my August trip?
Old Jun 27, 2023, 7:50 pm

So there's nothing that I can do while still in Tokyo? Guess if I'm lucky, I'll be approved for my August trip?
Check out their website, this is what I remember so it may not be completely right: It said upon your first or second entrance (depending on which requirement you meet for applying) you can apply in person at the airport but you must have your own wifi connection and you will still need to do the in-person interview upon entering Japan after you are approved. It does not say it will be reviewed and approved on the spot so I cannot tell you if there is any real benefit for you in doing so. The only advantage that I can see is if you have a complicated reason for applying they may review the documents (which need to be electronic files) to see if what you are submitting is sufficient. There are five categories of applicants, some are not so straightforward when you apply.

For simple cases like having US Global Entry and US citizenship you can just do it online. It's not hard.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 8:51 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Have you ever seen the ticket places in Shimbashsi / Ginza that sell JP flight tickets?
Coming back to this- I've only ever seen ticket places sell shareholder discount vouchers for ANA/JAL, not full tickets like for trains.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by jamar
Coming back to this- I've only ever seen ticket places sell shareholder discount vouchers for ANA/JAL, not full tickets like for trains.
There are "kiosks" that have flight & train tickets -- here is how the scam works.... Companies buy expensive Y tickets -- traveler purchases non-refundable (much cheaper) fare and sells their ticket to these places who then post it for sale -- traveler pockets the difference... We had to terminate two of our sales team for this in Tokyo - they made 10's of thousands by doing this....
uanj and joejones like this.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

There are "kiosks" that have flight & train tickets -- here is how the scam works.... Companies buy expensive Y tickets -- traveler purchases non-refundable (much cheaper) fare and sells their ticket to these places who then post it for sale -- traveler pockets the difference... We had to terminate two of our sales team for this in Tokyo - they made 10's of thousands by doing this....
I still don't understand how this scam works. The ticket will be in the name of the passenger, right?

Last edited by lsquare; Jun 27, 2023 at 9:19 pm
Old Jun 27, 2023, 9:10 pm

I still don't understand how this scan works. The ticket will be in the name of the passenger, right?
It doesn't work like this in Japan for domestic travel -- they don't check ID's for domestic travel lol. You check in online, get a barcode, head to security and scan it - and get a receipt to use to board.... We did this a few weeks ago -- no one checks your ID lol...
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 9:11 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
I still don't understand how this scan works. The ticket will be in the name of the passenger, right?
They don't check ID for domestic flights.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 9:16 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by joejones
In that case one wonders what keeps any resident foreigner from using the foreign tourist fares that JAL and ANA offer instead of paying regular fare (whether it be non-refundable or advance-purchase).

Also, if you decide to check a bag, don't you still have to go to the counter? Or is that self-service too (I remember seeing a press release about that going fully automated with ANA domestic?)
Old Jun 27, 2023, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It doesn't work like this in Japan for domestic travel -- they don't check ID's for domestic travel lol. You check in online, get a barcode, head to security and scan it - and get a receipt to use to board.... We did this a few weeks ago -- no one checks your ID lol...
Originally Posted by joejones
Count this as another thing I learned about Japan. 😂😆🤣
LapLap and bmwe92fan like this.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by jamar
In that case one wonders what keeps any resident foreigner from using the foreign tourist fares that JAL and ANA offer instead of paying regular fare (whether it be non-refundable or advance-purchase).

Also, if you decide to check a bag, don't you still have to go to the counter? Or is that self-service too (I remember seeing a press release about that going fully automated with ANA domestic?)
I believe I had to check in at the counter with an agent the last time I used an ANA foreign tourist domestic airfare pass and show my passport. I don't usually check luggage, so probably carry-on only though US-ish size, not the JP personal item which is more common.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.