Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Cockroaches in Machiya Residence Inn Kyoto. What could I have done differently?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2023, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Super stressed as I have been dealing with this for almost 3 weeks. I booked a Machiya managed by Machiya Residence Inn Kyoto (kyoto-machiya-inn.com). I thought I had done enough research as it seems like a fairly popular option in Kyoto, and they had a lot of properties.

I booked it for 6 nights via booking.com.The sleeping situation for 5 people was 2 beds and 3 futons. We only ended up staying for 2. After the first night, we came home to 2 huge cockroaches in the kitchen. We immediately contacted their check in desk and asked what our options were. I asked if I could leave and just get a refund for the remainder of the stay as I did not want to sleep on the floor with cockroaches. They informed me that I would hear back the next morning once the manager comes in at 9am.

We reluctantly stayed another night, and I sent an email the next morning inquiring about an update. I never heard back from them, so we walked all the way to the check in desk. They told me the manager was off for today, and I will find out tomorrow. I informed them that I could no longer stay there as my family was uncomfortable sleeping on the floor if there are cockroaches. I requested a refund for the remainder of the 4 nights I did not use as we did not want to stay in another Machiya. They tried to offer me a hotel they managed, but it was fully booked. I said we will vacate the property and wait for an update tomorrow. We spent the whole day packing and moving our luggages to another hotel.

The next day I sent another email and did not receive a reply until later in the day. The check in desk agent informed me the managers were having a meeting about my situation. I did not hear from management until 48 hours after the whole ordeal started. They graciously offered to refund me ~$500 out of the $2000 I had paid even though I had only stayed 2 out of 6 nights. They said this was all base off of booking.com’s cancellation policy. I did not realize that unlivable conditions counted as a cancellation. I tried reaching out to booking.com but never got a reply.

My last resort was a chargeback, which I initiated with my credit card. However I found out today that since the property credited me $500, my chargeback amount for the 4 nights was rejected. Not sure what else I could have done. I’m annoyed that I could not reach anyone from management for 2 days. If I could have just figured out my options from a manager, maybe I wouldn’t have left. My family however really did not want to stay another night there. No one has 48 hours to spend waiting for a decision while on vacation in a foreign country..
​​​​​​​
Old Jun 17, 2023, 6:09 pm

I saw that you contacted the machiya directly, but have you contacted booking.com regarding this? If they are using booking.com’s cancellation policy as their excuse, maybe try filing a serious complaint with booking.com?
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 2:22 pm

Since this issue only emerged late in the second day of the stay the hotel management / booking.com / credit card company might take the view that those cockroaches were somehow "caused" by your party during an otherwise non-cancellable stay (not saying this is the case).

Machiya, Airbnb, minshuku etc. all have the same type of risks in terms of showing up and it being a dud, it reads like you declined the offered alternative (changing to another machiya). Would you have continued staying if (for example) another cleaning was requested/offered considering the first cleaning clearly didn't eradicate roaches?

If cc company and travel insurance have both declined, then I'd chalk it up to live and learn. Personally I would never book an extended stay in a machiya - or any old style traditional residence in any country - precisely because these kinds of issues are more likely to happen in old buildings and harder to resolve when the lodgings are more unique in nature.

Last edited by Agneisse; Jun 19, 2023 at 2:27 pm
Old Jun 19, 2023, 4:28 pm

In answer to your question ‘what could you have done differently?’

Shouted ‘Ewww’, squashed the cockroaches, put them in the rubbish (the right rubbish mind, dead insects are alternate Thursdays in Kyoto IIRC), cleaned up a little and got in with your day.

A machiya is 100-200 year old house in a hot and humid climate (some if the year at least) there will be bugs.

cockroaches are disgusting but not enough to disrupt your holiday over.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by oldfolky
In answer to your question ‘what could you have done differently?’

Shouted ‘Ewww’, squashed the cockroaches, put them in the rubbish (the right rubbish mind, dead insects are alternate Thursdays in Kyoto IIRC), cleaned up a little and got in with your day.

A machiya is 100-200 year old house in a hot and humid climate (some if the year at least) there will be bugs.

cockroaches are disgusting but not enough to disrupt your holiday over.
As someone that lives in Japan I don't agree -- bugs yes -- cockroaches NO.... My wife's family lives in western Japan in a 100+ year old house and there aren't any cockroaches -- in a major city I would only expect better (we live in Tokyo) -- OP is right to expect more.... Cockroaches on the floor in Japan in a rental / hotel/ AirBNB is not acceptable -- to justify it in any way seems crazy to me....
sodaisei likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 10:45 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
I can believe that bmwe92fan doesn't see cockroaches at his wife's family home. With fastidious care - keeping food in airtight containers, wiping surfaces, throwing out trash promptly etc. you can make a home inhospitable to cockroaches. But not everyone who stays at a rented Machiya has fastidious habits... I am sure that many guests treat the place as they would a hotel room with daily housekeeping service.

I think that the crux of the dispute is that the OP thinks of this incident as being forced to vacate "unlivable" lodgings and the owner / management is treating it as a last minute cancellation of the last three nights. (Last two, actually, since the OP took all day to pack and leave after the second night). OP thinks that his expectation of four nights refund is fair. Management feels that a partial refund for the last two nights is fair. (Possibly 20% refund for the fifth night and 100% refund of the last night?)

As you can see from the thread, not everyone thinks that a couple of cockroaches makes a place unlivable.

My takeaway is that it would have been better to report rats.
Q Shoe Guy likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Similar discussion is going on at the Hilton forum.

Appropriate compensation for roaches in 2 hotel rooms?

Looking at both posts, it does look like it is difference in expectation and point of view. Both posts, OPs think it was far serious situation which warrant larger compensation. But in both situations, lodging managements do not share the same view as OPs.

Machiya is a setting of multiple houses built in a row as a continuous house. In such situation if neighbors do not practice a meticulous cleaning habit, then there is so much can be done at one house to avoid cockroaches.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by jib71
I can believe that bmwe92fan doesn't see cockroaches at his wife's family home. With fastidious care - keeping food in airtight containers, wiping surfaces, throwing out trash promptly etc. you can make a home inhospitable to cockroaches. But not everyone who stays at a rented Machiya has fastidious habits... I am sure that many guests treat the place as they would a hotel room with daily housekeeping service.

I think that the crux of the dispute is that the OP thinks of this incident as being forced to vacate "unlivable" lodgings and the owner / management is treating it as a last minute cancellation of the last three nights. (Last two, actually, since the OP took all day to pack and leave after the second night). OP thinks that his expectation of four nights refund is fair. Management feels that a partial refund for the last two nights is fair. (Possibly 20% refund for the fifth night and 100% refund of the last night?)

As you can see from the thread, not everyone thinks that a couple of cockroaches makes a place unlivable.

I guess I've lived in Japan for too long and gotten used to Japanese standards -- but in a place where you sleep on the floor in Japan it really would be unacceptable for cockroaches to be running around -- and my western Japan parents are "Japanese" clean as one would expect -- NO cockroaches ever!
Old Jun 21, 2023, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I guess I've lived in Japan for too long and gotten used to Japanese standards -- but in a place where you sleep on the floor in Japan it really would be unacceptable for cockroaches to be running around -- and my western Japan parents are "Japanese" clean as one would expect -- NO cockroaches ever!
Can I assume that also means — NO snacking on the futon ever! ?
Q Shoe Guy likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From my personal experience , there were far more instances of poisonous centipedes , termites and hornets. Not to mention the odd snake, frogs and cicadas.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
From my personal experience , there were far more instances of poisonous centipedes , termites and hornets. Not to mention the odd snake, frogs and cicadas.
On a family trip at a ryokan in Tsumago I raised my head one morning to see a gejigeji scuttling away. Lifting the buckwheat chaff pillow I learned about the torment I had unwittingly inflicted on the creature as a few of its legs were left behind. I can’t imagine the horror of that long, long night the poor thing endured.

source of photo: https://ishikawajet.wordpress.com/20...s-of-ishikawa/
Cinnabom and Q Shoe Guy like this.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. It has been fun and insightful catching up to all the replies. For me, $340/night is quite a lot, so I guess my expectations were higher. I think the most frustrating part was being in limbo for 2 days before hearing from management. I admit I had different expectations and should have done more research prior to booking such an accommodation.

Anyway, I ended up leaving a review about a week ago with pictures of my tiny friends. I guess they did not like that. They immediately reached out to me and agreed to the refund I originally requested. In exchange, I had to take down my review. It’s nice to finally be done with all this, and it was definitely an almost expensive lesson learned. Will probably be sticking to hotels in the mean time.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jib71

Actually it was booked for 6 nights, and we only requested a refund for the 4 nights. We tried to leave after the first night, but it was too late to find a hotel/move accommodations.
We were informed we would hear from management by 9 am. After sending another follow up email with no response from them, we decided to walk to the check in desk around noon. That’s when we were informed the manager was on holiday. We vacated the property by 3pm. So yeah part of it was just waiting around to figure out what to do.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 11:16 am

Smile

Originally Posted by Cinnabom
Thanks everyone. It has been fun and insightful catching up to all the replies. For me, $340/night is quite a lot, so I guess my expectations were higher. I think the most frustrating part was being in limbo for 2 days before hearing from management. I admit I had different expectations and should have done more research prior to booking such an accommodation.

Anyway, I ended up leaving a review about a week ago with pictures of my tiny friends. I guess they did not like that. They immediately reached out to me and agreed to the refund I originally requested. In exchange, I had to take down my review. It’s nice to finally be done with all this, and it was definitely an almost expensive lesson learned. Will probably be sticking to hotels in the mean time.
Glad to hear that you were able to get the requested refund. now please post a link to the machiya in question, so that we know not to stay there. :-)
lobsterdog likes this.

Last edited by od_sf; Jun 22, 2023 at 11:35 am
Old Jun 23, 2023, 12:19 pm

Congrats on getting your refund finally, who would have known all it took was a review
Cinnabom likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.