Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Japan's Vaccinations Protocol

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2023, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Japan's Vaccinations Protocol

As a US citizen I do not need a visa to enter Japan. However, I would have to meet their medical protocols in order to do so. Currently those protocols call for a Vaccination record that indicates two original shots and to include one booster shot. We, like most people, only had the two original shots. Is this policy still required to be admitted to Japan? How seriously do they take the booster shot and will they still admit people who have only the original shots?
Old Apr 10, 2023, 10:11 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Before May 8, you can enter Japan if you have an accepted vaccination certificate (showing the initial course and booster of an accepted vaccine) OR an accepted pre-departure test certificate (showing a negative result with an accepted test method and sampling method).
https://www.mhlw.go.jp/stf/covid-19/bordercontrol.html

Is it seriously enforced? Yes. Your airline will check that you meet the requirements before you board. Japanese border control agents will check before you enter the country. If your documents don't meet the requirements for any reason you won't be allowed to enter Japan.

On May 8, the requirements will be dropped:
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2...rs-on-wed.html
Old Apr 11, 2023, 12:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jib71
Before May 8, you can enter Japan if you have an accepted vaccination certificate (showing the initial course and booster of an accepted vaccine) OR an accepted pre-departure test certificate (showing a negative result with an accepted test method and sampling method).

Is it seriously enforced? Yes. Your airline will check that you meet the requirements before you board. Japanese border control agents will check before you enter the country. If your documents don't meet the requirements for any reason you won't be allowed to enter Japan.

• Those who are entering Japan on or after May 8, 2023, will not be required to present a valid vaccination certificate or pre-departure inspection certificate, as the category of COVID-19 will be changed to a Class V Infectious Disease under the Infectious Disease Control Law. However, please note that quarantine measures upon entry into Japan may be strengthened as necessary, if a new infectious disease outbreak occurs overseas.
We will be transiting through Narita on to a connecting flight June 27th so I guess we would fall under the new protocol after May 8th. I just wanted to make sure that, in the event of a delay or cancellation of our connecting flight, that we would be able to enter Japan to stay at a hotel until the next flight possibly the next day. Seems as we will be able to.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by floridastorm
We will be transiting through Narita on to a connecting flight June 27th so I guess we would fall under the new protocol after May 8th.
That is correct. On June 27 there will be no requirement to show vaccination or test documentation to enter Japan.
Old Apr 14, 2023, 12:24 am

Programs: NH Dia/SFlyer, JL Crystal/JGC, MB Plat, WoHyatt Glob, IHG Dia Amb, HHonors Dia

I was arriving from IST to NRT approximately one week ago. The airline halfheartedly checked the requirement at boarding. Nobody bothered checking in Narita after arrival.
Old Apr 14, 2023, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by shonanroger
I was arriving from IST to NRT approximately one week ago. The airline halfheartedly checked the requirement at boarding. Nobody bothered checking in Narita after arrival.
I arrived on Sunday 09/Apr. My vaccination was verified at check-in at LHR. Agent scrolled through the page that I showed her on my screen.
At NRT I was not asked to show the vaccination cert or blue screen, but there was still an army of red t-shirts on hand. If they wanted to pick a flight and check the deplaning passengers, they could do so, I guess
Old Apr 14, 2023, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I arrived on Sunday 09/Apr. My vaccination was verified at check-in at LHR. Agent scrolled through the page that I showed her on my screen.
At NRT I was not asked to show the vaccination cert or blue screen, but there was still an army of red t-shirts on hand. If they wanted to pick a flight and check the deplaning passengers, they could do so, I guess
It depends highly on the airline how well it has been checked. JANA checks on great detail, it sounds like Turkish Airlines don't give a rat's orifice about requirement. I found that the Flagship check in staff in LA was also quite detailed, but a random AA counter was pretty cursory about checking. JAL will do the full verification at the transit airport.

Anyway, I only have 2 trips left where the vaccine certificate matters, I do look forward to not having to upload documents every trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.