Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HND : Time from International to Domestic Flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2023, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

HND : Time from International to Domestic Flight

My flight to Haneda lands at 06:55 on October 7th (NH218 from Munich), I'd like to go straight to Sapporo and trying to work out how much time to allow to clear immigration, get to domestic, check-in etc.
There are loads of flights, options, I was thinking that the following would be comfortable to get:

Is that enough time?
Old Apr 2, 2023, 11:31 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
I would normally say that those are safe options. Recently, people have been commenting that progress through customs and immigration is slow due to understaffing in and hordes of cherry blossom fanatics. I have doubts that the cherry blossoms are the proximate cause of the crowding, but they're a convenient scapegoat... for another week at least.

If your flight lands at 6;55 AM ... you should arrive ahead of most flights from Asia so I guess you won't be at the back of an enormous queue.

If you are unlucky enough to miss your flight, I think "delayed by cherry blossom fanatics" will probably earn you a seat on the next flight to Sapporo.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Tanks a lot, It'll be "Koyo fanatics" at that stage but hopefully will still work.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 1:07 pm
McG

Programs: BAEC
Denis,

would it be possible to add the Sapporo flight onto your existing booking, or is it cost prohibitive versus booking them separately?
Old Apr 4, 2023, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by McG
Denis,

would it be possible to add the Sapporo flight onto your existing booking, or is it cost prohibitive versus booking them separately?
I've already booked the main flights to/from Tokyo, suppose I could contact ANA and ask, no idea what the chances are tbh.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 2:01 pm
McG

Originally Posted by Denis Carlin
I've already booked the main flights to/from Tokyo, suppose I could contact ANA and ask, no idea what the chances are tbh.
No worries - it might actually work out more expensive asking ANA to tag the Sapporo flights on by the time they reprice your tickets and if they charge a change fee.

The only thing it would do is protect your ticket in the event of any delays as the flights would all be on one booking.

Another option would be to take a later flight to Sapporo and leave your luggage at the airport and go into Tokyo for the day or get a day room at a hotel and then collect your luggage on return before your flight.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by McG
No worries - it might actually work out more expensive asking ANA to tag the Sapporo flights on by the time they reprice your tickets and if they charge a change fee.

The only thing it would do is protect your ticket in the event of any delays.
Thanks for the idea.
As my flights have tripled in price since I booked them, it's probably not worth it for a $100-$150 connection I imagine.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 2:05 pm
McG

Yeah that’s not worth it imho. Prices are some of the most expensive I have seen for Japan this year. I was £1200 for flights in September with Emirates from UK via Dubai.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by McG
Yeah that’s not worth it imho. Prices are some of the most expensive I have seen for Japan this year. I was £1200 for flights in September with Emirates from UK via Dubai.
I was delighted to get Premium Economy with ANA from Zurich via Munich, Frankfurt on the way back, with short connections for CHF1400 (about 1250 quid). Exact same flights now are CHF5000
You can get other connections for a bit less of course, I normally never get flights this early but seems to be the way forward these days
Old Apr 4, 2023, 2:21 pm
McG

I was delighted to get Premium Economy with ANA from Zurich via Munich, Frankfurt on the way back, with short connections for CHF1400 (about 1250 quid). Exact same flights now are CHF5000
You can get other connections for a bit less of course, I normally never get flights this early but seems to be the way forward these days
That’s a good deal for premium economy. It definitely seems that for flights to Japan just now if you see a fare within your budget it’s best to jump on it before it rises.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 6:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
My flight to Haneda lands at 06:55 on October 7th (NH218 from Munich), I'd like to go straight to Sapporo and trying to work out how much time to allow to clear immigration, get to domestic, check-in etc.
There are loads of flights, options, I was thinking that the following would be comfortable to get:

Is that enough time?
Two hours may be enough if you are lucky.
I just did a transfer at HND on Monday.
Immigration was much quicker than getting my bags (though I am PR, so that speeds things up).
Luggage took about 30 minutes even though it was tagged priority. One issue was a lot of foreign visitors were slow getting out of immigration, and their bags were clogging up the conveyor belt to the point it wasn't allowing bags to come out as quickly as it could.
Then about 5-10 minutes to get the shuttle from International T3. Another 10 minutes on the shuttle to get to T2.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 2:24 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I imagine that if you booked the ANA onward connection, and happened to miss it, ANA agents would be more sympathetic to reaccommodating you without penalty given that you arrived with their international flight.

AirDo you would have no excuses / they would be within rights to not help you above and beyond what the rules call for.

Maybe this is a factor to consider.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 2:47 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by TA
I imagine that if you booked the ANA onward connection, and happened to miss it, ANA agents would be more sympathetic to reaccommodating you without penalty given that you arrived with their international flight.

AirDo you would have no excuses / they would be within rights to not help you above and beyond what the rules call for.

Maybe this is a factor to consider.
Maybe, though AirDo is part of ANA so it might not be a big problem.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 3:09 am
Original Poster

I'll have to discount AIrdo, vent though they're cheaper.
The flight is listed as only being "Waitlist" and to be on the waitlist, you have to register with them, for that you need to be a Japan resident with address and Japanese phone number.
Despite being able to book and get information in English, the registration is only in Japanese as well.
They don't want my business.
Sadly, ANA it is.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll have to discount AIrdo, vent though they're cheaper.
The flight is listed as only being "Waitlist" and to be on the waitlist, you have to register with them, for that you need to be a Japan resident with address and Japanese phone number.
Despite being able to book and get information in English, the registration is only in Japanese as well.
They don't want my business.
Sadly, ANA it is.
Did you try Skymark ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.