Best way Osaka-Yokohama

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best way Osaka-Yokohama

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2023, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Best way Osaka-Yokohama

I would normally not think twice and take the Shinkansen.

But it seems like two transfers would be involved -one leg from Osaka station to Shin -Osaka another leg from Shin-Yokohama to Yokohama.

flight us somewhat cheaper then a Shinkansen ticket.

is it better to fly ITM-HND given the transfers? ( I’d likely spend for green class on the Shikansen, the flight seems short enough for coach).

thanks in advance.
PS total route is Conrad Osaka to Hyatt Regency Yokohama, will be sending the large bags ahead by courier.

Last edited by beachfan; Mar 27, 2023 at 11:20 pm
Old Mar 28, 2023, 12:30 am

Programs: Delta
What is most important for you? Price, comfort, or time? If it was me, I'd just take shinkansen, not green car, as it's least hassle.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 2:44 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by beachfan
is it better to fly ITM-HND given the transfers?
Flying ITM to HND also requires transfers. From the Conrad you will be taking a 45 minute bus ride or 20 minute cab to ITM, for example.
Originally Posted by beachfan
I would normally not think twice and take the Shinkansen.
Do you normally only travel between hotels that are located at Shinkansen stations?
Old Mar 28, 2023, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
airport Limo goes directly to the Hyatt from Haneda is my understanding.

more transfers if by train than plane, but no security hassle. Time I guess is roughly the same.

Last edited by beachfan; Mar 28, 2023 at 3:28 am
Old Mar 28, 2023, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jib71
Flying ITM to HND also requires transfers. From the Conrad you will be taking a 45 minute bus ride or 20 minute cab to ITM, for example.

?
of course. Did I need to state the obvious?
Old Mar 28, 2023, 4:08 am

Programs: Delta
Seems like more hassle to get on and off plane, and deal with airports than trains and train stations. Plus, I can get a coffee at Starbucks at Shin-Osaka and enjoy it as soon as I sit down. :-)
Old Mar 28, 2023, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Take the train. The concept of multimodal/multi-transfer logistics for similar travel time at similar all-in cost eludes me.
seigex likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 9:23 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
I think you should fly, just to stick it to Greta Thunberg.
seigex likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 2:50 am

Programs: SQ:TPPS, Marriott: Titanium
Frankly the only reason you would want to fly+limo bus instead of train is luggage (and to some extent cost). It’s much easier to take the train if you courier your luggage ahead.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 5:06 am

Flying is odd unless you have lots of points to burn for no fee, well basically no fee, redemption flights. BA Avios points accomplishes and I'm sure many ways to get the points for next to nothing if you don't have them. ITM is not particularly convenient IMO and seems like flying would be much longer. And hardly an inconvenient transfer from osaka to shin osaka. And if you are willing to pay to take the green car, take a taxi.

Maybe mods should merge with first time visitor thread.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 6:02 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Deleted
Old Mar 31, 2023, 8:31 am

With luggage flying is probably better. I just did the ITM-HND domestic flight, and flight ticket was cheaper compared to Shinkansen. I had luggage I didn't want to bring on the train. JAL Explorer pass fares was cheap so it was an easy choice.
ITM is well connected with the Kanko Airport bus. From Haneda you can either take bus or Keikyu train to Yokohama.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 8:49 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Also note that if you have Star or Oneworld elite status, you can get lounge access when flying domestic with NH/JL, and if you are using their mileage programs, the earnings for domestic flights are relatively generous. I used to prefer flying Tokyo-Osaka for those reasons, as well as the simpler fact that soaring through the air is always a little cooler than being on the ground.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 1:55 am
Original Poster

Wound up shipping the big bags ahead snd flying Y. Could get the tickets for free since it was an AS award ticket.

security was a breeze. Lounge peaceful but offerings poor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.