Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Biggest and most popular shopping centers in Tokyo?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2023, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

I've been to Tokyo a few times in my life. I've visited most of the tourist spots and to the department stores. I don't think I've ever been to a mall like the ones we have in the US. Do any exist in the Tokyo area? If so, which are the popular ones and worth going to?
Old Feb 16, 2023, 7:15 pm

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Check out LalaPort Tokyo Bay - it's a mall that somewhat resembles what you find in the US.

https://mitsui-shopping-park.com/lalaport/tokyo-bay/en/

But the best big mall I've been to isn't in Tokyo, it's Canal City Hakata in Fukuoka.

https://canalcity.co.jp/english
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 7:15 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
The biggest malls in the Tokyo area
https://japan-wanderer.com/shopping-...C2%B2%E3%80%82

I imagine they're popular. I can't say whether they're worth going to. Check them out and send us a virtual postcard.
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YariGuy
Check out LalaPort Tokyo Bay - it's a mall that somewhat resembles what you find in the US.

But the best big mall I've been to isn't in Tokyo, it's Canal City Hakata in Fukuoka.

I haven't been to Fukuoka in more than a decade. I definitely need to go back. What impressed you about the mall? Would you say it's the best that you've been to in Japan?
Old Feb 16, 2023, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
I haven't been to Fukuoka in more than a decade. I definitely need to go back. What impressed you about the mall? Would you say it's the best that you've been to in Japan?
I really liked the indoor / outdoor feel of it - feels a little bit like Ala Moana mall in Honolulu if you've been. It's different zones connected by a central water feature (well, a canal, I guess). It's also huge, with anything you're looking for. I haven't been to all the malls in Japan, but this one is definitely the best I've been to.
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL PM
Another vote for LaLaPort Tokyo Bay. Big, nice mall. I also like Sunshine City Ikebukuro. A bit more Japanese flair and some other attractions in addition to a mall.
lsquare and hypebeast like this.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I really liked the indoor / outdoor feel of it - feels a little bit like Ala Moana mall in Honolulu if you've been. It's different zones connected by a central water feature (well, a canal, I guess). It's also huge, with anything you're looking for. I haven't been to all the malls in Japan, but this one is definitely the best I've been to.
Yes, I have. It also has decent Japanese food. It's been a few years since I was in Honolulu.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 8:40 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Yes, I have. It also has decent Japanese food. It's been a few years since I was in Honolulu.
Ala Moana even has a Ringer Hut Chanpon fast-food restaurant in its food court. It was there three years ago, but not sure if it survived or not.

As for malls, La La Port and Canal City are good but they have been around for a long time and there are newer and bigger malls out there that I haven't been to. Like the US, there are also many outlet shop malls throughout Japan where brand goods (Polo, Coach, Fendi, etc., as well as Japanese brands) sell their goods at a discount. They even have food courts. Just do a search of "outlet malls in Japan".
Old Feb 16, 2023, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
Ala Moana even has a Ringer Hut Chanpon fast-food restaurant in its food court. It was there three years ago, but not sure if it survived or not.

As for malls, La La Port and Canal City are good but they have been around for a long time and there are newer and bigger malls out there that I haven't been to. Like the US, there are also many outlet shop malls throughout Japan where brand goods (Polo, Coach, Fendi, etc., as well as Japanese brands) sell their goods at a discount. They even have food courts. Just do a search of "outlet malls in Japan".
Examples? I’ll be back in Tokyo later this year.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Examples? I’ll be back in Tokyo later this year.
You neglected to bold "that I haven't been to". I've only heard about them and have not been to them and I don't remember any names. The links below are to Japanese websites which you can translate with Google. Or, you can search "Mega-malls in Japan" or "Outlet malls in Japan" in English. Others on this thread may have more specifics on the newer malls.
For mega-malls:
https://japan-wanderer.com/shopping-mall-japan/
For outlet malls, check this link:
https://www.walkerplus.com/spot_list/sg0118/
Old Feb 16, 2023, 9:17 pm

I concur, they are good malls but have been around for a while.

Yari Guy: Do you practice Yari, and did you learn it in Japan?
Old Feb 17, 2023, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
I concur, they are good malls but have been around for a while.

Yari Guy: Do you practice Yari, and did you learn it in Japan?
Haha, my handle is sort of a pun with 2 meanings -

1) やりがい (yarigai) - something worth doing
2) やりguy (yari guy) - a guy who does it (やる)
Old Feb 17, 2023, 2:32 am

Haha, my handle is sort of a pun with 2 meanings -

1) やりがい (yarigai) - something worth doing
2) やりguy (yari guy) - a guy who does it (やる)
So, in other words, you don't practice やり (Japanese spear) as a martial art. Sorry, but that's how I read it. I won't go any further off-topic then. It's a clever pun though.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi I did like Venus Fort ( now closed in odaiba) with its fake Italian squares. In fact I am wearing Levis just now bought from the Levis outlet there ( back in 2019) got 3 for the price of 2 at £ 30 each Regards

Tbs​​​​​​​
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 11:42 am

Programs: United Two Million Miler; United 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
In Tokyo there are stand along buildings that are hybrid department stores and malls. Shibuya Parco is an example. I was just there and was impressed with some of the shops there such as one dedictated to Castefy phone cases and another for Anker, which sells cables, adapters and batteries. There is also a large Pokemon Store, Nintendo store and a Capcom store there. The adjacent Shibuya Sky building also houses a mall.
I've been to Canal City Fukuoka several times and the attached Hyatt is my go to place to stay. It is more like a large American mall with many shops, movies and the outdoor shows and water feature. Best of all, the Ichiran in the basement is seldom crowded like the ones elsewhere in Japan.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.