Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

End of golden week arrival. Should I plan extra time from NRT to Tokyo Station?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2022, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum

I’m excited for my return to Japan in early May. I’ll be arriving on 5/4 around 2:30pm and want to get a quick start on my 3 week trip. I plan to get to Sapporo as first stop and then go from there.

since flights are expensive at that time I’ll head straight to Tokyo station from airport and hopefully get my JR Pass and be on my way to Hakodate. According to current timetable the last Hayabusa leaves at 7:20pm.

Think I’m cutting it too close during golden week? I assume travel will be somewhat back to normal by then, but not sure if 4 1/2 hours is enough time to get through immigration, grab bag, pickup JR pass, take the Express and still make the last train. I’m considering booking a hotel near Tokyo station and heading out in the morning.

Any advice? This will be my first time just wandering to different places in Japan without a set schedule except for starting North and then going south and west for a few weeks.

Last edited by bigshooter; Oct 8, 2022 at 6:29 am
Old Oct 8, 2022, 1:56 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by bigshooter
I’m excited for my return to Japan in early May. I’ll be arriving on 5/4 around 2:30pm and want to get a quick start on my 3 week trip. I plan to get to Sapporo as first stop and then go from there.

since flights are expensive at that time I’ll head straight to Tokyo station from airport and hopefully get my JR Pass and be on my way to Hakodate. According to current timetable the last Hayabusa leaves at 7:20pm.

Think I’m cutting it too close during golden week? I assume travel will be somewhat back to normal by then, but not sure if 4 1/2 hours is enough time to get through immigration, grab bag, pickup JR pass, take the Express and still make the last train. I’m considering booking a hotel near Tokyo station and heading out in the morning.

Any advice? This will be my first time just wandering to different places in Japan without a set schedule except for starting North and then going south and west for a few weeks.
Why not just fly direct from NRT to Sapporo when you arrive? May 4 is the middle of Golden Week, which will extend to Sunday, May 7.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz Platinum
Old Oct 9, 2022, 2:46 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by nishimark
Why not just fly direct from NRT to Sapporo when you arrive? May 4 is the middle of Golden Week, which will extend to Sunday, May 7.
Jetstar seems to be the only airline that flies NRT-CTS these days. I'm a little surprised. Did JAL and ANA decide to quit that route?
The Jetstar timetable does not show any flights beyond March 25th for many (perhaps all?) domestic routes. Perhaps someone here can confirm when Jetstart opens its reservations for May. Assuming that the airline continues to operate the same timetable, the 5:55 PM flight from NRT to CTS should be a no brainer for the OP.
No need to buy a JR pass yet - Wait and see.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by jib71
Jetstar seems to be the only airline that flies NRT-CTS these days. I'm a little surprised. Did JAL and ANA decide to quit that route?
The Jetstar timetable does not show any flights beyond March 25th for many (perhaps all?) domestic routes. Perhaps someone here can confirm when Jetstart opens its reservations for May. Assuming that the airline continues to operate the same timetable, the 5:55 PM flight from NRT to CTS should be a no brainer for the OP.
No need to buy a JR pass yet - Wait and see.
Jetstar should open up flight beyond March sometime towards the very end of this month. ANA and JAL essentially suspended the NRT to CTS route during covid although not officially suspended I doubt they'll return. ANA codeshares with Peach so "technically" they do cover the NRT to CTS market just in a low cost form.
jib71 likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by henrus
Jetstar should open up flight beyond March sometime towards the very end of this month. ANA and JAL essentially suspended the NRT to CTS route during covid although not officially suspended I doubt they'll return. ANA codeshares with Peach so "technically" they do cover the NRT to CTS market just in a low cost form.
That must be why nothing was showing up when I searched Nrt to CTS. I found some cheap flights from hnd to cst which could be an option. Would prefer to fly from Nrt though if it opens up.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by bigshooter
I’ll head straight to Tokyo station from airport and hopefully get my JR Pass and be on my way to Hakodate.
If you're going to do that, you might as well activate your JR pass at the airport. This will allow you to use it for the N'EX from the airport to Tokyo Station, as well as reserve the Shinkansen seats at the same time, and in such a manner that will connect with your arriving N'EX service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.