Wiki Posts
Search

New Japan eVisa live for US/CA citizens

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2022, 8:40 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by seigex
If you're reading on your phone, as it's loading if you tap on where it says "examine..." it will expand out, it takes a few tries though. on your computer browser, you can click on the line between the box showing "examine..." and the box next to it and drag it out so you can read it. That said, it likely says "examined and passed" and you're just waiting for it to be fully issued. If you check in the ERFS thread, I list out the statuses that have been mentioned (someone else replied to me with an additional one that I haven't added in to my post yet.
I appreciate your quick reply, seigex .
Are you able to link to your post where you mentioned the statuses?

eta: indeed it does say "examined and passed," however my flight is tomorrow night (whoops!)
Old Sep 8, 2022, 8:48 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
I appreciate your quick reply, seigex .
Are you able to link to your post where you mentioned the statuses?

eta: indeed it does say "examined and passed," however my flight is tomorrow night (whoops!)
Here you go: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34581391-post690.html
Old Sep 8, 2022, 8:51 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
This is a good sign, you might have it issued out today. Which consulate are you using?
Old Sep 8, 2022, 8:51 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by seigex
A big thank you to thee.
seigex likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 10:43 am

Programs: AAdvantage - Executive Platinum (2MM), Marriott Silver
I am not sure if the authorities will ever address this or offer a fix but I managed to find an edge case where entering the wrong information can effectively render your account useless.

So during the registration process, you are told to enter your country of residence and state/prefecture/province etc. Pretty straightforward, except when I looked at the dropdown list for the latter, my eyes zoomed in on California(Northern: Areas other than Southern California below) without scrolling down one more to the other option for southern California. Full disclosure, my nearest Consulate is Los Angeles, not San Francisco.

Of course, I don't notice my problem immediately. I go through the prompts, fill out the application and figure all is done. Should get my visa in 5 business days... only 3 days later, I get an e-mail that my application was rejected because it was sent to the wrong Consulate and am told to withdraw my application and send it to the correct one. Sent from the Consulate in San Francisco. No big deal I think to myself... except the option to change your "State"/Consulate is greyed out if you already have an application in progress. Panic. I withdraw the application thinking that should be sufficient, but nope. Still grayed out. Okay, maybe if I try to delete it- you can't delete applications that were already sent out, withdrawn or not. Can't delete my account either which is kind of weird as well.

And thus my account has been rendered unusable. Calling the eVisa hotline, they suggested for me to call the Consulate in San Francisco but passport desk is swamped with inquiries/calls that it's very unlikely I'll get a call back next week.

Until this issue can be fixed, guess I'm dropping off my visa application package at the Consulate in Los Angeles next week. It's extra cost to drive and park there but it's one less time I have to have my passport mailed.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/ea...october-report

Japan plans to scrap daily arrival cap by October: Report
This may change things significantly.
seigex likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
From the article immediately above:

One proposal is to lift all three barriers at the same time, while others call for ditching the entry cap first and observing the results before allowing the return of individual tourism and visa waivers, the paper said.
They just raised the cap from 20,000 to 50,000 a few days ago. I find it hard to believe they're going to get anywhere near 50,000 arrivals anytime soon if they keep the ERFS system in place.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 9:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage - Executive Platinum (2MM), Marriott Silver
After getting an actual response from the San Francisco consulate, I was able to delete my account and redo things. 6 days later, got my visa. Guess everything worked out.
seigex likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 9:04 am

Im confused, aren’t US citizens also visa-exempt for 90 days? What’s the purpose of an e-visa?
Old Jan 22, 2024, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by rossteixeira
Im confused, aren’t US citizens also visa-exempt for 90 days? What’s the purpose of an e-visa?
Back in 2020-2022 there was a pandemic on which resulted in travel restrictions all over the world. When Japan reopened in 2022, they did so slowly, and at first required a visa. This has been lifted, and visa-free tourist travel from the US to Japan is back.
Doppy likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 6:48 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
As this thread is no longer relevant I am closing it.

Regards,
armagebedar
Japan forum moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.