Search

New Japan eVisa live for US/CA citizens

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2022, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
New Japan eVisa live for US/CA citizens

https://www.evisa.mofa.go.jp/index

Tourism still requires the tour package; but simpler for everything else at least. Considering they've invested in this, I doubt they'll ever go back to visa-exemptions.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 1:20 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
It's not live. You still can not register. What you see there has been up for a week.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 7:44 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by MDTyKe
Considering they've invested in this, I doubt they'll ever go back to visa-exemptions.
If you click on your link, scroll to the bottom, and click on private policy, you can see this:

Privacy policy in JAPANeVISA (including JAVES: JapanVisaExemptionSystem)
So, I think you are wrong to doubt that. Visa exemptions are seemingly going to be built into this system (maybe like K-ETA or ESTA)
Old Aug 17, 2022, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Originally Posted by 5khours
It's not live. You still can not register. What you see there has been up for a week.
You're right - can't register! I did call to inquire what defines "relative" (as I was curious if I could visit my cousin during a layover), but alas it's only to the third degree. Persona-non-grata for the time being.

Originally Posted by musehead
Visa exemptions are seemingly going to be built into this system (maybe like K-ETA or ESTA)
Visa-exempt is different than a waiver of a visa. Exempt means you do not need anything (e.g. as was previously the case for most nationalities going to JP). I assume moving forward, once Japan elects to open to the non-guided tourism, that they will effectively require an ETA.

Last edited by MDTyKe; Aug 17, 2022 at 11:44 am
Old Aug 17, 2022, 6:18 pm

Programs: US, LH, HH
This system has been planned even before the pandemic https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...ts-april-2020/ and the Visa exemption part was aimed at Indonesians, who needed to register their passport with the Japanese embassy to gain Visa free access to Japan.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 6:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by freakazoid
This system has been planned even before the pandemic https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...ts-april-2020/ and the Visa exemption part was aimed at Indonesians, who needed to register their passport with the Japanese embassy to gain Visa free access to Japan.
"in an effort to achieve its goal of 60 million foreign visitors a year by 2030"

I wonder how that plan working out for them.
Steve M likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by MDTyKe
Visa-exempt is different than a waiver of a visa. Exempt means you do not need anything (e.g. as was previously the case for most nationalities going to JP).
No, it is not. Visa exempt means you do not need a visa. And the visa requirement waived means you are exempt from requiring a visa.

They are two different ways of saying the same thing.
invalyd and musehead like this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 7:00 am

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by 5khours
I was able to register this morning - at least my email and password are set and I received a confirmation from them immediately. Here is the note I received:

“Japan eVISA [Notice of completion of account registration]

Thank you for using Japan eVISA website.

The account registration for (xxxxxx@Yahoo.com) is now complete.

Please log in to the following URL.
 https://www.evisa.mofa.go.jp/personal/login

□□□ Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan □□□
  □□□ Japan eVISA □□□
    □□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□”
Old Aug 18, 2022, 12:44 pm

Programs: MM / UA 1K
I was able to complete registration as well and poked around a bit with the visa application form.
It was interesting to see that the required fields for Destination and/or Accommodation only give the choice of:
Iwate / Miyagi / Fukushima
Okinawa
Other
Old Aug 18, 2022, 1:21 pm

When registering, it asks you to choose your Nationality but then the application destination has to match the selected Nationality.

I guess they have not considered the use case of Canadians traveling from the US or vice versa?
Old Aug 18, 2022, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by invalyd
When registering, it asks you to choose your Nationality but then the application destination has to match the selected Nationality.

I guess they have not considered the use case of Canadians traveling from the US or vice versa?
Question 6 on the FAQ seems to address this:

"At this time, the JAPAN eVISA system is only available to foreign nationals of CANADA or the USA who reside in their own countries. The visa to be applied for is a Temporary Visitor Visa."
Old Aug 18, 2022, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I was able to register this morning - at least my email and password are set and I received a confirmation from them immediately. Here is the note I received:
I was able to register as well. I'll try the visa application process later today.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Question 6 on the FAQ seems to address this:

"At this time, the JAPAN eVISA system is only available to foreign nationals of CANADA or the USA who reside in their own countries. The visa to be applied for is a Temporary Visitor Visa."
Thanks
I will try anyway and report back on how it goes.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by invalyd
Thanks
I will try anyway and report back on how it goes.
Good luck but be careful. If they do reject it and depending on how the rejection is filed that might cause you issues with attempting to obtain another visa within the next few months. I believe the rules are if you have applied for a visa and been rejected it's an automatic rejection for like the next 3 or 6 months after that.
invalyd likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Looks like my wife will need to return to Japan for more surgery so will be using this soon -- will report on how it goes -- it did warn me that I needed to have a phone that worked in Japan when I arrived as there was no way to print out a confirmation of Visa -- quite odd but perhaps they are still working out the bugs.... Can't wait to try and check in at United or ANA with my phone as a Visa lol....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.