Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

COVID arrival testing rules/requirements?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2022, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist

Hello,

Asking for a friend's kid who is traveling to Japan on a student visa.

Visa is approved and he's aware of the requirement to get a negative PCR test that complies with Japanese ministry format etc. and done no earlier than 72 hours prior to departure. He's fully vaccinated.

There's some mention of arrival testing but they've not been able to find specific details on where the testing needs to be done and how long it takes, etc.

Current flight option is YVR-NRT-KIX with a 2 hour layover in NRT.

Question: If there's an arrival testing requirement, will that be sufficient connection time or should he try to either have a longer layover or find another routing so arrival airport is KIX? I am assuming if there's an arrival test required, he won't be able to board the connecting flight till he's received a negative test on arrival.

Thanks for any pointers to info.
Old May 3, 2022, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by samplat
Hello,

Asking for a friend's kid who is traveling to Japan on a student visa.

Visa is approved and he's aware of the requirement to get a negative PCR test that complies with Japanese ministry format etc. and done no earlier than 72 hours prior to departure. He's fully vaccinated.

There's some mention of arrival testing but they've not been able to find specific details on where the testing needs to be done and how long it takes, etc.

Current flight option is YVR-NRT-KIX with a 2 hour layover in NRT.

Question: If there's an arrival testing requirement, will that be sufficient connection time or should he try to either have a longer layover or find another routing so arrival airport is KIX? I am assuming if there's an arrival test required, he won't be able to board the connecting flight till he's received a negative test on arrival.

Thanks for any pointers to info.

2 hours in NRT might be cutting it a bit close.to be tested for covid on arrival, go through immigration and customs , and connect to a domestic flight to KIX.
Old May 4, 2022, 7:02 pm

Not exactly sure you have any options to KIX other than via NRT from YVR. I mean I guess you could go via another country like Korea but I'd not advise since then you have another set of rules to mess with. Not sure many, if any, flight options to KIX from the US either directly.[heck, I'm not even sure who flies where now. Haha]

I recall the flights to NRT from YVR arrive around 4pm? So not many options for longer.

Maybe post the times.

Will they be in Osaka working or somewhere else?

How much time will they have before they start.

Unlike Canada, there are plentiful and convenient train connections between Tokyo and Osaka should one need to for many reasons. For example, spending some time in tokyo before?
Old May 5, 2022, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
2 hours in NRT might be cutting it a bit close.to be tested for covid on arrival, go through immigration and customs , and connect to a domestic flight to KIX.
2 hours is definitely too close. Simply not possible to get through the hoops in time to drop the luggage and make the second flight. Narita tends to clock about 2 hours for the process.

Maybe just take a train to the Kansai region instead of the flight? With a 4pm or so arrival, 6pm ready to grab a train, 7:30pm departure from Tokyo Station could be possible making it about 10pm in Shin-Osaka. Not much air in the flow, but could be done.
Old May 5, 2022, 12:21 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
2 hours is definitely too close. Simply not possible to get through the hoops in time to drop the luggage and make the second flight. Narita tends to clock about 2 hours for the process.

Maybe just take a train to the Kansai region instead of the flight? With a 4pm or so arrival, 6pm ready to grab a train, 7:30pm departure from Tokyo Station could be possible making it about 10pm in Shin-Osaka. Not much air in the flow, but could be done.
I think that would also be cutting it close. In my opinion, better to plan for 3 hours to pass through immigration. If faster, consider yourself fortunate. Last shinkansen from Tokyo to Osaka is 9:20pm. Or, overnight in Narita and relax, and have time for flight next day.
Old May 5, 2022, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by nishimark
I think that would also be cutting it close. In my opinion, better to plan for 3 hours to pass through immigration. If faster, consider yourself fortunate. Last shinkansen from Tokyo to Osaka is 9:20pm. Or, overnight in Narita and relax, and have time for flight next day.
Indeed, it is certainly taking every molecule of air out of the schedule. In reality, over night in Tokyo and train or plane the next day. Or change to a flight to Haneda with more connections to Osaka.
nishimark and Topcare like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.