Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

transfer HND to NRT

transfer HND to NRT

Old Mar 8, 2022, 10:19 am
Original Poster

transfer HND to NRT

Looking at a flight with 5 hrs and 15 minutes to transfer from HND to NRT on March 31st. I assume the process is: Enter into Japan, take a private car to NRT. Is that right? Will I have to pay for a test when I enter Japan? I assume private car is the only transportation option due to covid.

It is an ANA to Malaysian Airlines flight.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Unless you hold a Japanese passport, there are precious few exceptions, few and far in between, that will allow you to enter into Japan to connect between airports.

You will likely need to find transits into and out of HND or same-day transits through NRT.
downinit likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by mrtimo
Looking at a flight with 5 hrs and 15 minutes to transfer from HND to NRT on March 31st. I assume the process is: Enter into Japan, take a private car to NRT. Is that right? Will I have to pay for a test when I enter Japan? I assume private car is the only transportation option due to covid.

It is an ANA to Malaysian Airlines flight.

With Japan still closed unless your able to enter Id be cautious with this booking. Frankly probably wont even be able to board. This has been an issue for me as Ive found some great business class trips to Hanoi that I want to take but require this transfer as well most days
Old Mar 9, 2022, 2:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
As the others have said, this plan will not likely work on March 31st. Highly suggest booking an itinerary that doesn't involve an airport transfer (and doesn't involve an overnight connection if using NRT).

-FlyerBeek
Always Flyin likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 8:59 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Check out this thread for all details related to transiting: Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread (Coronavirus edition) - FlyerTalk Forums
Always Flyin likes this.
Old May 19, 2023, 6:39 am

I have a NRT > HND transfer on a single ticket with JAL. 6 hour layover.
Our of interest, is there a minimum connecting time? What happens if there is a delay to the inbound flight?
Appreciate that Tokyo transit is very reliable but curious what support they have in place.
Old May 19, 2023, 8:28 am

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
Easiest is to take the N'EX from NRT to Shinagawa and then transfer to Keikyu to HND. There's also the no change of trains option on the Keisei Line (not the Skyliner) that doesn't require a train change but will send you on the local trains for most of the trip which can be crowded if you hit the rush hour or any of the other busy times.

Depending on the time, you could also take the Skyliner if the train is one of the ones that stops at Aoto and transfer to the Keikyu Line to HND there. Issue going that way is there's only one train an hour that stops at Aoto.
Old May 19, 2023, 4:25 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by Voda_boy
I have a NRT > HND transfer on a single ticket with JAL. 6 hour layover.
If you just want to get from NRT to HND with minimum fuss, take the limousine bus that connects the two airports.

Our of interest, is there a minimum connecting time?
Yes. A single ticket with a connection will take account of the MCT. Between NRT and HND, I think the MCT is less than 4 hours. With six hours between flights, t's unlikely that you will be in danger of missing your connection.

What happens if there is a delay to the inbound flight?
On a single ticket, the airline will rebook you on the next available flight or re-route you to your planned destination. There are transit desks at HND and NRT to take care of such matters. If you're flying on separate tickets you may be out of luck as the airline is not required to help you in the event that you miss your connection.
FlitBen likes this.
Old May 19, 2023, 5:55 pm

Programs: Delta
With luggage, a very easy transfer method is highway limousine bus. Just keep your luggage on the free cart available in customs and wheel out the door nearby to the bus stop. Bags get put underneath, while you ride up above. At HND, use a free cart available right at the bus stop to wheel the bags in to the check-in counter. No transfer.
https://www.airport-bus-alliance.com...lang=en&frto=2
Always Flyin, FlitBen and trooper like this.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 4:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
We've got flights booked in April on JL, HAN-NRT/HND-LHR. When we booked there was almost 5 hours to make the transfer. We've just had the departure time brought forward on the second flight so we only have 3hr15.

What is the official MCT for this transfer? I've seen 3hr in some places, 3hr30 in others.

Thanks
Old Dec 20, 2023, 6:52 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
JAL says 3 hours.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/dom/boarding/onto/

That seems too short to me - Immigration and customs typically takes 45 minutes. Limousine bus journey time is 90 minutes and you might be have a long wait for a bus. So I think you're looking at an expensive taxi trip, and you might make it to HND about an hour before departure, if all goes well.

I'd be inclined to ask the airline to put you on a later flight out of HND.
omk298 likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 4:19 am
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
3 hours is the domestic => international connection time for a transfer between Haneda and Narita. I can't find any international => international time published on the JAL website but in practice it will take significantly longer than a domestic arrival.

Definitely call and ask about other flight options.
omk298 likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 9:21 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
I am pretty sure it is 3.5h when I checked this on EF last month (I let my subscription lapse so I can't double check.)

As an aside...even 3.5h is tight especially if you need to check bags. I personally would only take 4h+
Old Dec 22, 2023, 10:26 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by omk298
We've got flights booked in April on JL, HAN-NRT/HND-LHR. When we booked there was almost 5 hours to make the transfer. We've just had the departure time brought forward on the second flight so we only have 3hr15.

What is the official MCT for this transfer? I've seen 3hr in some places, 3hr30 in others.

Thanks
HND-NRT
Airport Limousine (airport-bus-alliance.com)
And NRT-HND
Airport Limousine (airport-bus-alliance.com)
Here is the bus schedule for Haneda to Narita. Check which terminals you are leaving from at HND and arriving at NRT. They leave on time. I have not missed a connection using it but you will need to check your arrival time and departing bus. Make sure you fill out visitjapanweb online before you depart your first flight

A taxi won't save you more than 5 minutes and could also be a few minutes slower than the bus as the driver double and triple checks that he is sure what terminal you want to get off at.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 11:18 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by omk298

Thanks
JL 752 HAN-NRT arrives NRT at 6:30 a.m. Then JL 43 HND-LHR departs HND at 9:45 a.m. NRT-HND limousine bus schedule is:

Depart NRT Terminal 2: 6:55 a.m.
Arrive HND Terminal 3: 8:40 a.m.

Depart NRT Terminal 2: 7:35 a.m.
Arrive HND Terminal 3: 9:20 a.m.

I do not think you will make 6:55 a.m. Limousine Bus, it is possible but I will not count on it. 7:35 a.m. Limousine Bus arrives at HND Terminal 3 at 9:20 a.m. 60 min. is the check-in cut-off time for JL's international departure at HND. If your NRT-HND transfer is on Sunday then it is likely the bus will arrive at HND earlier, but during weekdays you are hitting rush hour traffic and likely will arrive on time.

Currently, JL does not operate NRT-LHR. Flight out of NRT to LHR on JL will be a transit at FRA. If you do not mind an extra transit point, then I would ask JL if they will change your reservation to NRT departure.
jib71 and omk298 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.