Rebuilding of Imperial Hotel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2021, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus

Imperial Hotel (Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, across from Hibiya Park) announced the complete renovation of the hotel starting 2024. Imperial Hotel opened it's door on 1890 and the current Main Building reaching 50 years old and the Tower Building reaching 38 years old. Imperial Hotel will spend 200 - 250 billion yen to build the totally new building. The Tower Building will close on 2024 and the new Tower building will open on 2030, the Main Building will continue to open during the rebuilding of the Tower Building. Then the Main Building will close on 2031 and the new Main Building will open on 2036. The communication released from Imperial Hotel used the term 「建て替え」which suggest that this is not just refurbishment of interior, but will be total rebuilding of the Main Building and the Tower Building.

I think many legacy hotels in Tokyo need to do something like this to keep competitive.
jib71 and The _Banking_Scot like this.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 12:53 am

I hope they transfer the Old Imperial Bar over to the new place along with the Grolsch set! One of my favorite club sandwiches in the world, might have a lot to do with the atmosphere of the Frank Lloyd Wright bar, though.

Grolsch set.

Last edited by hijiji; Mar 26, 2021 at 1:01 am Reason: Added photo
Old Mar 26, 2021, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Unlike the Okura, which was close to (but not quite) to the level of the FLW Imperial Hotel in its architectural importance, the current 1970s building could have been knocked down the day it opened and nobody would have missed it. Better late than never. I'm sure the new building will have the Old Imperial Bar, the same way the new Okura faithfully recreated the original lobby (I was pleasantly surprised about that one).
jib71 and Q Shoe Guy like this.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pickles
Unlike the Okura, which was close to (but not quite) to the level of the FLW Imperial Hotel in its architectural importance, the current 1970s building could have been knocked down the day it opened and nobody would have missed it. Better late than never. I'm sure the new building will have the Old Imperial Bar, the same way the new Okura faithfully recreated the original lobby (I was pleasantly surprised about that one).
Love the spin in this article , especially the headline :

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...hotel-rebuild/
nishimark likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 8:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
About time!
Q Shoe Guy likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I hope they retain all of the FLW influences that are scattered around the hotel, not just the bar.

During the transition, they'll not only have fewer rooms, but also fewer restaurants. Also, the pool is in the tower building, so when it closes, not only will the retail and F&B space be lost, but also there won't be a pool. IIRC the health club is next to the pool, but it would be easier to make a temporary gym on one of the lower floors of the main building.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 6:43 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I hope they retain all of the FLW influences that are scattered around the hotel, not just the bar.
You can bet that the new hotel will make a big deal of the Frank Lloyd Wright history. But apart from the bar, what are the “FLW influences” scattered around the current hotel?
Old Mar 28, 2021, 12:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Here are some random ones that I can immediately remember:
Some of the furniture, for example the heavy chairs they bring out when there's a line at the front desk. They're similar to the furniture in the bar.
The off-center entrances to some of the restaurants and function rooms.
General built-in furniture and lighting fixtures on the walls.
Floor to ceiling windows, for example on the left side as you enter the main building (IIRC looking out onto a small rock garden). Once there was a history of the Imperial Hotel display here (inside).
Old Mar 30, 2021, 3:33 pm

Just saw this beautiful digital reconstruction video from the Frank Lloyd Wright trust of the Imperial Hotel. While I've enjoyed several stays at the current Imperial, would have loved to stay there in the FLW version!

One can hope that the new hotel will take some exterior cues from the original shown here:

cowie likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 6:38 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by aircmdr
Just saw this beautiful digital reconstruction video from the Frank Lloyd Wright trust of the Imperial Hotel. While I've enjoyed several stays at the current Imperial, would have loved to stay there in the FLW version!

One can hope that the new hotel will take some exterior cues from the original shown here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ9phSrQcgo
As mentioned at the very end of the video, the main entrance and lobby of the original FLLW Imperial Hotel was moved and reconstructed at Meiji-Mura (near Nagoya). Fantastic!

https://www.meijimura.com/english/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.