Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Not allowed to do turnaround transit in NRT?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not allowed to do turnaround transit in NRT?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2021, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Im a new user
I don't know which flights you booked, but note that overnight connections at NRT currently aren't permitted.

Can you book a different flight which arrives to EWR at approximately the same time and meet her at baggage claims?
​​​​​​
The MEX-NRT bound flight gets in first thing in the morning around 630AM. Assuming the OP is allowed to board the flight (big if), that would be almost 11 hours of layover until the UA flight bound for EWR.

Interesting proposal for the baggage area meet. Note, however, international inbounds would be in the secured area of the airport and given the reduced international traffic and all of the ever changing rules, this is also a great risk. Hanging around by the baggage area for too long, and you are likely to get a talking to.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is unlikely that NH will treat the transfer between two tickets at NRT as a transit. This leaves OP "stranded" at MEX and purchasing a new ticket back to the US.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Often1
It is unlikely that NH will treat the transfer between two tickets at NRT as a transit. This leaves OP "stranded" at MEX and purchasing a new ticket back to the US.
I'm not so sure NH would veto this.

But what may make this easier if OP books MEX-NRT-ICN/ULN/IST (somewhere you could go with just a negative test) on one ticket and then NRT-EWR on the other. That is still a valid transit in NRT (unlike USA - Japan - USA) and so what if "plans change"?
Old Jan 18, 2021, 3:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I'm not so sure NH would veto this.

But what may make this easier if OP books MEX-NRT-ICN/ULN/IST (somewhere you could go with just a negative test) on one ticket and then NRT-EWR on the other. That is still a valid transit in NRT (unlike USA - Japan - USA) and so what if "plans change"?
Or you could just sue them, isn't that typically how you solve problems that don't go your way?
Old Jan 18, 2021, 3:59 pm

I think that MEX-NRT-EWR is a very odd routing. I think that there is a risk that the airline will think that NRT is the intended destination and that the passenger is trying to abuse the system by showing up at NRT passport control and no-showing from the NRT-EWR leg. The airline might therefore deny boarding at MEX.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is a very odd routing. But, the problem is that separate tickets MEX-NRT and NRT-EWR with a claim of "transit" is even odder.

Bottom line is that "odd" isn't the standard, it is whether OP's ground time in Japan qualifies as a "transit." If it does not, he will be denied boarding at MEX however he is ticketed.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, CX Dia, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Dia
It is a very odd routing. But, the problem is that separate tickets MEX-NRT and NRT-EWR with a claim of "transit" is even odder.

Bottom line is that "odd" isn't the standard, it is whether OP's ground time in Japan qualifies as a "transit." If it does not, he will be denied boarding at MEX however he is ticketed.
The rules are it has to be 24 hours or less for transit in Narita. I did call NH and I know a representative is not definitive, but he checked and said as long as I have a valid ticket it would be fine. He even noted in my reservation that I am connecting to UA78. I realize there is a chance I will have to book a ticket back to EWR if this does not work out, but it is a risk I am willing to take as I could use a little adventure right now. Also, someone above said NH cannot see my UA reservation. That is not my experience as I flew before from MNL-NRT-EWR on separate tickets (one was UA award travel and the other a paid NH ticket) and they were able to look up my UA reservation and even print out my boarding pass for the EWR flight.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Im a new user
I think that MEX-NRT-EWR is a very odd routing. I think that there is a risk that the airline will think that NRT is the intended destination and that the passenger is trying to abuse the system by showing up at NRT passport control and no-showing from the NRT-EWR leg. The airline might therefore deny boarding at MEX.
As far as NH (ANA) is concerned, it is only aware of the passenger's destination ending in NRT. Whether or not the ground staff at MEX would allow the separate ticket as validity for transit at the airline's own risk is the key.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Southwest, HHonors, National
Originally Posted by fanger
If you are already married, you may be able to obtain dispensation from the Philippines government to travel via their consulate. In normal times, if you were to travel with your Philippines citizen spouse and bring proof of marriage, you could obtain a different, long-stay visa than the standard tourist visa. May be worth looking into if you have time.
If OP was intending to fly this month, I don't think they would grant him a dispensation. There's currently an entry restriction for foreign nationals from a group of 30~ countries, which includes the US. Right now, its in effect until the end of Jan and does not allow any exemptions.

Last edited by Gradfly; Jan 18, 2021 at 6:18 pm
Old Jan 18, 2021, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gradfly
If OP is was intending to fly this month, I don't think they would grant him a dispensation. There's currently an entry restriction for foreign nationals from a group of 30~ countries, which includes the US. Right now, its in effect until the end of Jan and does not allow any exemptions.
That is correct . I even got a Visa and was planning to go to Manila, but due to the entry ban that is what resulted in the idea to try and meet in Narita.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I am planning a similar separate ticket TYO "connection" in March with a PNR test (same day results) the day before departure from LAX.
• Ticket 1: LAX-MEX on AA
• Ticket 2: MEX-CDG-HND on AF, with a 5 hour "transit" to...
• Ticket 3: HND-LAX on NH
Old Jan 18, 2021, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really want to fly too. Fortunately, I also realize we are in the midst of a pandemic so despite how much I’d love to go somewhere I will only allow myself to fly for life or death emergencies. Partly because I’m trying to be a good global citizen and partly because I don’t want to deal with all the red tape and potential pitfalls of denied boarding or getting stuck somewhere. You will be denied boarding and even if you were allowed to board you run the risk of getting into trouble in Japan for trying to “game” the system. They will be less understanding of your plight than the audience here.

I know it’s not a popular opinion on FT but I’d advise you to buy some roses and meet your wife at the exit to customs in EWR.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 2:24 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum

I am not understanding all of the negativity here. Who cares if it is "odd" if it is legal? MEX-NRT-USA is a legal transit no matter how odd. Nor is a transit required to be on a single PNR, why would a pandemic alter such a requirement? If you can show a ticket that transits you through NRT then it should be legal.

Sure, be prepared for whatever could go wrong, but you can't win if you don't play!

As somebody that transits often on "odd" itineraries with multiple tickets and never has had any issue this just doesn't phase me. Yup, we are in a pandemic which means the airport staff likely has more free time to work with you. Worst case? Other than possibly catching Covid, you turn around at MEX, you got some flying under your belt and your wife is happy and feels cared for in that you did try.
SFO777, ainternational and invalyd like this.

Last edited by whimike; Jan 19, 2021 at 2:33 am
Old Jan 19, 2021, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by whimike
I am not understanding all of the negativity here. Who cares if it is "odd" if it is legal? MEX-NRT-USA is a legal transit no matter how odd. Nor is a transit required to be on a single PNR, why would a pandemic alter such a requirement? If you can show a ticket that transits you through NRT then it should be legal.

Sure, be prepared for whatever could go wrong, but you can't win if you don't play!

As somebody that transits often on "odd" itineraries with multiple tickets and never has had any issue this just doesn't phase me. Yup, we are in a pandemic which means the airport staff likely has more free time to work with you. Worst case? Other than possibly catching Covid, you turn around at MEX, you got some flying under your belt and your wife is happy and feels cared for in that you did try.
Thanks for the words of encouragement and I am trying to do what I can for my wife. I am leaving Thursday and will let everyone know how it goes.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by dvo1029
Thanks for the words of encouragement and I am trying to do what I can for my wife. I am leaving Thursday and will let everyone know how it goes.
Good luck and stay safe!

Too bad, I missed you by one day. Sitting at the ANA Suite Lounge at NRT right now... (Thursday afternoon in Japan)

Last edited by ainternational; Jan 20, 2021 at 11:36 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.