Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

dual citizen booking to restricted country (JPN) - which passport to book under?

dual citizen booking to restricted country (JPN) - which passport to book under?

Old Jul 23, 20, 2:04 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 31
dual citizen booking to restricted country (JPN) - which passport to book under?

Situation
- 20 year old son is dual citizen USA and Japanese. Currently in the USA but planning to go to Japan for a month to visit sick grandparent.
- Japan is currently restricting US citizens from entry but is not restricted Japanese citizens (although there is a two week self quarantine even for Japanese citizens)
- he always uses the passport for the country he in in for immigration purposes
- We normally book flights using US passport number and show that at flight check in
- BUT have heard that airlines are denying boarding to US citizens on flights to Japan since they know they will be denied entry at immigration in Japan
- He is thinking to book ticket using Japanese passport, but wondering about US rule that states all US citizens must enter and exit the US using their US passport. Since US has no official exit controls and apparently instead relies on the airline check in info for exit control unsure of how this would work
- we asked some airlines and got mostly uncertainty, one (American) stated that we should book using Japanese passport or else he could be flagged and denied boarding. Another (ANA) said he could use either passport but that we should "check with embassy". When we asked which embassy, they said "uhh. maybe both"

Any insight here from anyone please?
numan is offline  
Old Jul 23, 20, 2:25 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: HEL
Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Posts: 9,537
To me it's a no-brainer - use the Japanese one, otherwise he won't fly.
Often1, redadeco and invalyd like this.
WilcoRoger is offline  
Old Jul 23, 20, 2:29 pm
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 47,317
I cannot conceive of why he would enter his US passport information or show that to a check-in agent. If he feels compelled, show both passports to the check-in agent (But, he should not).
Often1 is online now  
Old Jul 23, 20, 3:22 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 31
This is what we are thinking too, but just wanted to be sure we wouldn't be running afoul of the vague US state department that requires all US citizens to enter AND EXIT the country using their US passport. Again, the exit part is kind of weird since US airports don't currently have exit control stations.
smartytravel likes this.
numan is offline  
Old Jul 23, 20, 3:43 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 11,826
Book with the U.S. Passport and check-in with both (online check-in may not be an option).
garykung is offline  
Old Jul 23, 20, 6:43 pm
  #6  
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 150km from MAN
Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Posts: 27,740
I am moving the thread to the Japan forum as there may be members who can advise on the current situation.


NewbieRunner
Coronavirus and Travel forum co-moderator
NewbieRunner is offline  
Old Jul 23, 20, 10:23 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL GM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing
Posts: 8,570
There is no exit immigration when leaving the U.S. so there is no need at departure to show either passport for "immigration purposes." The only thing required is that you show documentation to the airline proving you will be allowed to enter the country to which you are flying. Accordingly I would book with the Japanese passport and show that to the airline at check-in / boarding.
Often1 likes this.
5khours is offline  
Old Jul 23, 20, 11:03 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: 1A
Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card, Amanjunkie, Global Entry, CLEAR
Posts: 2,783
No brained. Ignore the rule. Iíve had family doing it for over a decade. Use the JP passport to leave the US and enter Japan.
ainternational is offline  
Old Jul 24, 20, 3:32 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Thanks for the Memories !!!
Posts: 9,790
Originally Posted by ainternational View Post
No brained. Ignore the rule. Iíve had family doing it for over a decade. Use the JP passport to leave the US and enter Japan.
-Anonymous bulletin boards on the internet is the best place for this sort of information.
-A very close Japanese friend , acquired Canadian citizenship via lottery. She did what you described above for many years.
-Last time she did this, the Japan Immigration revoked her Japanese passport at Narita airport as she was using both. Dual citizenship is not recognized in Japan.
-She is now a Canadian with PR and is working on reacquiring her JAPANESE citizenship. She is born, bred , and has lived most of her life here. Her children are Japanese citizens.
-Not going to say this will happen to the above person.........not out of the realm of possibility !
Q Shoe Guy is offline  
Old Jul 24, 20, 5:08 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL GM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing
Posts: 8,570
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy View Post
-Anonymous bulletin boards on the internet is the best place for this sort of information.
-A very close Japanese friend , acquired Canadian citizenship via lottery. She did what you described above for many years.
-Last time she did this, the Japan Immigration revoked her Japanese passport at Narita airport as she was using both. Dual citizenship is not recognized in Japan.
-She is now a Canadian with PR and is working on reacquiring her JAPANESE citizenship. She is born, bred , and has lived most of her life here. Her children are Japanese citizens.
-Not going to say this will happen to the above person.........not out of the realm of possibility !
Q Shoe Guy - The situation you describe is a very different. If you're Japanese and acquire foreign citizenship as an adult, you DO need to give up your Japanese citizenship, but if you acquire dual nationality at birth from your parents, having dual nationality is totally fine in Japan. (It's a little different for anyone born after 1985... but still basically fine.)
ainternational likes this.
5khours is offline  
Old Jul 24, 20, 1:50 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 11,826
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy View Post
-Last time she did this, the Japan Immigration revoked her Japanese passport at Narita airport as she was using both. Dual citizenship is not recognized in Japan.
OP's son is safe for now. But the decision has to be made in less than 2 years.
garykung is offline  
Old Jul 24, 20, 2:01 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 31
Interesting Shoe Guy. Im curious, if she had been traveling using her Japanese passport to book and board from Canada to Japan, how did Japanese immigration notice and revoke. I would think Japanese immigration would be more likely to do/notice this if she had been booking using a US passport.

Also, curious if they admitted her for entry as a foreign Canadian visitor after revoking her JP passport.

In the case of son trying to fly now, he acquired dual at birth but I too know of others (3rd hand) who have acquired after and maintain both passports without Japan knowing. It seems like a clear cut area legally that Japan doesn't allow it but lots of vague info on whether or not really enforced
numan is offline  
Old Jul 24, 20, 2:49 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL GM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing
Posts: 8,570
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
OP's son is safe for now. But the decision has to be made in less than 2 years.
Originally Posted by numan View Post
In the case of son trying to fly now, he acquired dual at birth but I too know of others (3rd hand) who have acquired after and maintain both passports without Japan knowing. It seems like a clear cut area legally that Japan doesn't allow it but lots of vague info on whether or not really enforced
Not true. The situation is very clear. If you were born after 1985 and have dual citizenship by birth (or more accurately before the age of 20), Japan may require you after the age of 21 to sign a statement when you renew your Japanese passport saying that you will "try" to give up your foreign citizenship, but it does not require you to actually do so nor in the case of most countries is it even possible. The U.S. specifically denies requests to renounce citizenship if the reason is a requirement by a foreign country against dual nationality. (Also BTW - if you apply for a Japanese passport renewal overseas, they generally won't even require you to submit the "I'll try to" statement.)

If you acquire foreign citizenship as an adult, and the Japanese authorities find out, they can and will strip you of Japanese citizenship although this is currently be litigated.
LapLap likes this.
5khours is offline  
Old Jul 24, 20, 3:28 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 11,826
Originally Posted by 5khours View Post
Not true. The situation is very clear. If you were born after 1985 and have dual citizenship by birth (or more accurately before the age of 20), Japan may require you after the age of 21 to sign a statement when you renew your Japanese passport saying that you will "try" to give up your foreign citizenship, but it does not require you to actually do so nor in the case of most countries is it even possible. The U.S. specifically denies requests to renounce citizenship if the reason is a requirement by a foreign country against dual nationality. (Also BTW - if you apply for a Japanese passport renewal overseas, they generally won't even require you to submit the "I'll try to" statement.)

If you acquire foreign citizenship as an adult, and the Japanese authorities find out, they can and will strip you of Japanese citizenship although this is currently be litigated.
The situation is indeed very clear. But you are the at-fault party here.

First, it is obvious that OP's son is born after 1985:

Originally Posted by numan View Post
- 20 year old son is dual citizen USA and Japanese. Currently in the USA but planning to go to Japan for a month to visit sick grandparent.
Also, the Japanese Nationality Law states that:

A Japanese national having a foreign nationality shall choose either of the nationalities before he or she reaches twenty two years of age if he or she has acquired both nationalities on and before the day when he or she reaches twenty years of age or, within two years after the day when he or she acquired the second nationality if he or she acquired such nationality after the day when he or she reached twenty years of age.
So for the purpose of this trip only, OP's son is safe as he is not yet required to pick a side yet.
garykung is offline  
Old Jul 24, 20, 3:34 pm
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 31
right thanks - at this point we are thinking to follow American Air's advice (given without a strong voice of confidence unfortunately) which is to book using JP passport to avoid what they said could be "flag" that would deny him boarding.

Primary concern was if this would somehow cause issues with US exit immigration policies (and yes I know US does NOT have exit stations, but they do have a stated exit policy, which is what makes this confusing. I mea how does one exit the country using their US passport if not through the booking and boarding?)

Imagining it would be…
1) book using JP passport, check in using JP passport but expect that check in staff may ask to see US passport as well? Then show JPN passport at TSA security and be prepared to show US passport as well if they ask?
2) enter JPN using Japanese passport of course
numan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: