Wiki Posts
Search

Japan Faucets

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2020, 12:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Shatcho, have the building managers work on it for you. That is why you pay the building management fees, no ?
The ignominy of being unable to solve such a trivial problem on my own is preventing me from following the manifestly sensible solution which you are proposing.
JapanFlyerT, bpe, evergrn and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 5khours
So far I think I've identified 5 standards: BSP, NPT, GHT, ISO, and JIS... plus variations based on taper and thread pitch. None of them seem to fit the faucet. I've got calipers and a pitch gauge coming from Big River tomorrow so maybe that will provide a clue.
Thread gauge should help, but at small sizes can be hard to interpret

You should not an ISO thread on a domestic water fixture
ISO = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_metric_screw_thread
GHT == https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garden_hose

Disclaimer
Mechanical Engineer working ~40 years in process plants with piping, pumps, tanks & pressure vessels
Old Jul 7, 2020, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Thread gauge should help, but at small sizes can be hard to interpret

You should not an ISO thread on a domestic water fixture
ISO = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_metric_screw_thread
GHT == https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garden_hose

Disclaimer
Mechanical Engineer working ~40 years in process plants with piping, pumps, tanks & pressure vessels
So I've got it measured. Male thread, non-tapered, outside diameter - 18.85mm, TPI - 24.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The ignominy of being unable to solve such a trivial problem on my own is preventing me from following the manifestly sensible solution which you are proposing.
Understood.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I've got it measured. Male thread, non-tapered, outside diameter - 18.85mm, TPI - 24.
24 threads per inch is a fine thread for domestic water
Any photos of the offending device?
Old Jul 7, 2020, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
24 threads per inch is a fine thread for domestic water
Any photos of the offending device?

Here it is. This is the adapter that was screwed into the faucet so the faucet has a corresponding female thread. As best I can tell this is a W19山24 thread (a Japanese spec with 19 being diameter in mm and 24 being the thread count in TPI.) As far as I can tell the only part still on the market with a male thread of this type is an esoteric Toto hose used to connect washing machines and some discontinued shower heads.

Last edited by 5khours; Jul 7, 2020 at 10:03 pm
Old Jul 8, 2020, 1:04 am

What ignominy? This type of stuff is usually more headache than one expects.
Some people are good with DIY, but not me. Took me an hour to replace bike tires the other day.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by evergrn
What ignominy? This type of stuff is usually more headache than one expects.
Some people are good with DIY, but not me. Took me an hour to replace bike tires the other day.
Did you have tire levers? Without them, it could definitely take an hour.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 4:41 am
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Unless you're ordering the part online, just take it into your local store and test it with whatever parts you can find. I gave up on finding some bolts to fix something and just brought one into the store to test them, and they turned out to be a 旧JIS [old JIS] size which are different from both international and modern JIS standards.

Alternatively, now that you know the specifications, maybe find an adapter online that matches (like one of these)?

Last edited by bpe; Jul 8, 2020 at 5:31 am Reason: translated 旧
Old Jul 8, 2020, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bpe
Unless you're ordering the part online, just take it into your local store and test it with whatever parts you can find. I gave up on finding some bolts to fix something and just brought one into the store to test them, and they turned out to be a 旧JIS [old JIS] size which are different from both international and modern JIS standards.

Alternatively, now that you know the specifications, maybe find an adapter online that matches (like one of these)?
Thanks for the suggestions. I've actually spent quite a lot of time looking for adapters (including about 20 views of the page you linked to) and have ordered about a dozen.... none of which worked. (Not surprising given the part I'm trying to match.) The only one that comes close is female and I need a male adapter. I've thought about about making my own adapter but I'm having the same problem finding a thread die with the right specs.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 8:29 pm

Did you have tire levers? Without them, it could definitely take an hour.
I used levers of course. Yes I suck.
Point is, DIY can be more often unexpectedly hard than unexpectedly easy, in my case almost always expectedly hard (and when it’s real hard, I believe in paying someone).

Ok, back to the faucet.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by evergrn
I used levers of course. Yes I suck.
Point is, DIY can be more often unexpectedly hard than unexpectedly easy, in my case almost always expectedly hard (and when it’s real hard, I believe in paying someone).

Ok, back to the faucet.
I doubt you suck. I think my first tire change was close to an hour also. Everyone thinks that getting from my point A to point B is a single step. IME, it's always a thousand steps and a million mis-steps. Almost everything that humans accomplish is by gaining experience through a process of trial and error. (I'm still trying to perfect my ability to make toast.) And BTW.... I generally do pay people to do the work if I think it will save time. I'm just not very good or sensible about giving up once I've started to do something on my own.
evergrn and rustykettel like this.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Plumber coming in the morning to replace the faucets. I'll report back. (Although I have to say with other FTers struggling with travel issues, a faucet replacement seems pretty trivial.)
Old Jul 20, 2020, 4:05 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Plumber coming in the morning to replace the faucets. I'll report back. (Although I have to say with other FTers struggling with travel issues, a faucet replacement seems pretty trivial.)
I’m counting on it to be the feel good story that lifts our spirits.
LapLap and rustykettel like this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Talking

Faucet replacement........hope they brought the JIS/RC threaded replacement kits with them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.