Wiki Posts
Search

Japan Faucets

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2020, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Japan Faucets

Anybody out there know anything about Japanese faucet and pipe thread standards?
Old Jul 4, 2020, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 5khours
Anybody out there know anything about Japanese faucet and pipe thread standards?
basically BSP, Not (USA) NPT:- different pitch & taper
A BSP die/tap sorts JIS out
Old Jul 5, 2020, 3:52 am
Original Poster

I’ve got outdoor faucets with female threads. I’ve tried BSP and NPT. I tried ISO M18 which almost worked but it was just a little small. Nothing seems to work. I’m thinking it might be PJ 1/2 but I’m not really sure what that is. I suspect it’s a JIS standard. I’m amazed it’s so hard to find a connector for a normal outdoor faucet.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 7:00 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
I’m amazed it’s so hard to find a connector for a normal outdoor faucet.
Are you really?
Admiral Ackbar likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ainternational
Are you really?
Good point.... actually not. I'm just impressed at how much time and effort Japanese faucet manufacturers must have made in the 50's and 60's to protect themselves from foreign competition.
Cryofern likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 3:14 pm

Programs: QF WP
Good point.... actually not. I'm just impressed at how much time and effort Japanese faucet manufacturers must have made in the 50's and 60's to protect themselves from foreign competition.
this is the case for many, many things in japan. When I was working there all the drugs and doses of drugs were completely different. My Japanese teacher explained it to me once but I forget the details
Old Jul 5, 2020, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually JIS standard pipe-thread etc. are pretty much standard across Asia, parts of the Middle East, India, Africa. I've also come across JIS pipe threads with DIN flanges , JIS flanges with NPT threads you name it. You could go to a home centre and pick up what ever you need .
Old Jul 5, 2020, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’ve got outdoor faucets with female threads. I’ve tried BSP and NPT. I tried ISO M18 which almost worked but it was just a little small. Nothing seems to work. I’m thinking it might be PJ 1/2 but I’m not really sure what that is. I suspect it’s a JIS standard. I’m amazed it’s so hard to find a connector for a normal outdoor faucet.
For 1/2" nominal both BSP & NPT are both 14 tpi. However the thread form/angle is different
May also be a problem due to parallel - taper threads.
The manufacturing standards/quality of some domestic fittings is very poor. As can items for industrial markets
Old Jul 6, 2020, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
For 1/2" nominal both BSP & NPT are both 14 tpi. However the thread form/angle is different
May also be a problem due to parallel - taper threads.
The manufacturing standards/quality of some domestic fittings is very poor. As can items for industrial markets
So far I think I've identified 5 standards: BSP, NPT, GHT, ISO, and JIS... plus variations based on taper and thread pitch. None of them seem to fit the faucet. I've got calipers and a pitch gauge coming from Big River tomorrow so maybe that will provide a clue.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Actually JIS standard pipe-thread etc. are pretty much standard across Asia, parts of the Middle East, India, Africa. I've also come across JIS pipe threads with DIN flanges , JIS flanges with NPT threads you name it. You could go to a home centre and pick up what ever you need .
I bought and tried enough stuff that didn't work to start my own home centre. If the the next round of stuff doesn't fit, I'll probably visit my old friends at Sanwa Byora in Kamiyacho.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I bought and tried enough stuff that didn't work to start my own home centre. If the the next round of stuff doesn't fit, I'll probably visit my old friends at Sanwa Byora in Kamiyacho.
Shatcho just replace the faucet.........

Last edited by Q Shoe Guy; Jul 6, 2020 at 10:56 pm
Old Jul 6, 2020, 8:18 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Deleted

Last edited by jib71; Jul 6, 2020 at 8:24 pm
Old Jul 6, 2020, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Shatcho just replace the faucet.........
The main water valves are located in the communal pipe space to which I don't have access. My general recollection is that changing faucets without turning off the mains is a rather entertaining affair for spectators.
sombrachinesca likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 11:28 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Get some CO2 from your local fishmonger to pack around the pipe and create an ice plug. Or get a plumber in and have them deal with the building management.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The main water valves are located in the communal pipe space to which I don't have access. My general recollection is that changing faucets without turning off the mains is a rather entertaining affair for spectators.
Shatcho, have the building managers work on it for you. That is why you pay the building management fees, no ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.