Transfer HND to NRT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer HND to NRT

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2020, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In continuation as there is too much to unpack in a PM (am also uncomfortable for my suggestions to not be scrutinised as I am very capable of making errors).
What you need to do now is get a guide book/decide on travel sites and plan. The problem with visiting cities in Japan is that the architectural vocabulary is completely different to what you might already be familiar with (you haven’t said where you’re from), without knowing how to read Japanese there won’t be enough clues to tell you what you are looking at, so unless you are expecting to find something you very likely wouldn’t know it was there. It’s very easy to walk past museums and restaurants thinking they are ordinary houses or offices.
I’d suggest creating your own personal map (“my map” in Google is perfect for this) and start pinning a wish list which will help you theme your visit and prevent you criss crossing cities unnecessarily. You will also be able to discover attractions on the map that you might not have known were there - even by being there in person.
Depending on where you stay, the combined Toei Subway and Tokyo Metro ticket might be the cheapest way to explore Tokyo, particularly if you can use the 72hour version. Otherwise, just use precharged PASMO or SUICA card (these can be used in Osaka and Kyoto too)
info on the subway/metro pass - https://www.tokyometro.jp/en/ticket/travel/index.html this can potentially limit your travel spending to 500yen a day.

Cherry blossom - sorry, but you are likely to completely miss it unless you shoe horn in day trips (probably easiest from Tokyo)
There is no way of knowing where you would need to go exactly to catch the blossoms right now. I’d recommend Matsumoto as a likely possibility.

Ryokan stay? Perhaps you’ve identified a place in Hakone you like and can afford. I would suggest not trying in Kyoto, not unless money is no object and you’re happy to pay the significant premium the ryokan in Kyoto fantasy commands.

Do be careful of making non-refundable bookings or somehow ensure you have appropriate insurance. The situation is currently extremely volatile and you may find yourself in the position I am (and many others are) in where there is no certainty that you will be able to or allowed to enter Japan this April (or by doing so face a lengthy quarantine in your country upon your return).

Am happy to help with details, but figuring out what to do is up to you. I’m not a concierge and don’t miss the time my own child couldn’t use cutlery to want to spoon feed anybody else.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by LapLap
In continuation as there is too much to unpack in a PM (am also uncomfortable for my suggestions to not be scrutinised as I am very capable of making errors).
What you need to do now is get a guide book/decide on travel sites and plan. The problem with visiting cities in Japan is that the architectural vocabulary is completely different to what you might already be familiar with (you havent said where youre from), without knowing how to read Japanese there wont be enough clues to tell you what you are looking at, so unless you are expecting to find something you very likely wouldnt know it was there. Its very easy to walk past museums and restaurants thinking they are ordinary houses or offices.
Id suggest creating your own personal map (my map in Google is perfect for this) and start pinning a wish list which will help you theme your visit and prevent you criss crossing cities unnecessarily. You will also be able to discover attractions on the map that you might not have known were there - even by being there in person.
Depending on where you stay, the combined Toei Subway and Tokyo Metro ticket might be the cheapest way to explore Tokyo, particularly if you can use the 72hour version. Otherwise, just use precharged PASMO or SUICA card (these can be used in Osaka and Kyoto too)
info on the subway/metro pass - this can potentially limit your travel spending to 500yen a day.

Cherry blossom - sorry, but you are likely to completely miss it unless you shoe horn in day trips (probably easiest from Tokyo)
There is no way of knowing where you would need to go exactly to catch the blossoms right now. Id recommend Matsumoto as a likely possibility.

Ryokan stay? Perhaps youve identified a place in Hakone you like and can afford. I would suggest not trying in Kyoto, not unless money is no object and youre happy to pay the significant premium the ryokan in Kyoto fantasy commands.

Do be careful of making non-refundable bookings or somehow ensure you have appropriate insurance. The situation is currently extremely volatile and you may find yourself in the position I am (and many others are) in where there is no certainty that you will be able to or allowed to enter Japan this April (or by doing so face a lengthy quarantine in your country upon your return).

Am happy to help with details, but figuring out what to do is up to you. Im not a concierge and dont miss the time my own child couldnt use cutlery to want to spoon feed anybody else.
Hi again!

Thanks! this helps a lot. Will take your advice and go ahead with the planning! And yes going for flexible bookings is a great idea, with the current scenario.
Oh and I am from India, so yes sign boards in Japanese would definitely be a problem.

Thanks again for all the tips! It really is a great help!
Old Feb 7, 2020, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also - are you sure you’re not thinking about visiting the Fuji 5 Lakes area when you say you want to “explore Mt. Fuji”?
I don’t actually know what that means with relation to a Hakone visit. Suggests that you expect to do more than just see Fuji San (which there is no guarantee of in the Hakone area).
To be honest, I’m not actually sure what “explore Mt Fuji” actually means in April as you can’t climb it then. “Visiting Mt Fuji” keeps coming up as a fixture in people’s Spring and Autumn plans but I never see any reports back that explain enough for me to grasp the concept. Would love to find out finally!
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:02 am

Programs: UA, NW
First of all, there is no reason to switch hotels between Osaka and Kyoto. They are no more than an hour apart by train. Your list of cities tells me nothing about what you plan to see and do there, or if you have even researched this.

Second, it depends on whether you are more interested in modern, urban Japan or traditional Japan. If you are more interested in traditional Japan, spend more time in Kyoto and take perhaps one day trip to Osaka. For traditional Japan, definitely include a day trip from Kyoto to Nara (about 30 minutes by train). From Tokyo, Kamakura, home of the Great Buddha that seems to be a symbol of Japan in tourist-oriented materials, is only an hour by train and has other historic and artistic attractions as well.

First time tourists are often interested in seeing Mt. Fuji. As LapLap has told you, you can't climb it in April, and your chances of seeing it, even from Hakone, are maybe 50-50 in April, since it quickly disappears behind clouds if the air is humid. If the humidity is low, you may be able to see Mt. Fuji from one of the tall buildings in Tokyo that has an observation deck.

I would suggest buying two guidebooks, one for the Tokyo area and one for the Osaka-Kyoto area and figuring out what you want to see and do. Then, as LapLap suggests, plot these things out on maps, preferably a bilingual version of Google maps. Print out the maps for each area and carry them with you (or have them bookmarked on a phone or tablet). If you get lost, show your map to a passerby. In the large cities, your chances of finding a resident foreigner are pretty good, so such people can be an additional source of information.
TWA884 and enya like this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:03 am
mhy

Programs: JGC
I wouldn't switch hotels to between Osaka and Kyoto as it is just 30mins by train between Osaka/Kyoto stations. Just stay in one or the other and take the train. Given the high number of tourists in Kyoto, you might find it to be cheaper to stay in a hotel in Osaka.

Just do 1 night in Hakone.

I'd recommend taking a day trip from Osaka/Kyoto to Himeji Castle. It is truly an amazing piece of architecture and one of most stunning buildings in Japan. Stop by Kobe on the way back and have dinner on the sea side.

EDIT: As the poster above said, Nara is great if you like history
cwerdna, TWA884 and enya like this.

Last edited by mhy; Feb 7, 2020 at 10:09 am
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:07 pm

Thanks for the great advice, will do as you suggested by figuring out what all I want to do in each city and then taking it from there.
All three of your comments were a great help!
thanks again!

Last edited by armagebedar; Feb 11, 2020 at 6:34 pm Reason: removed excessive quote
Old Feb 10, 2020, 7:46 am

Programs: AS MVP,SPG GOLD,UA,AA,Kirs, IHG Plat
Transfer HND to NRT

I'm on a F award landing HND at 3pm and have 630pm out of NRT to HAN. Will have only carry on, sounds like the bus is the best option . Is 3.5 hours enough?
Old Feb 10, 2020, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JMM58
I'm on a F award landing HND at 3pm and have 630pm out of NRT to HAN. Will have only carry on, sounds like the bus is the best option . Is 3.5 hours enough?
It depends a bit on timing, there is a bus at 16:10, and then only at 17:20 from the international terminal. The alternative is to go to one of the domestic terminals where the busses depart far more frewin that period.

Or you could take the keikyu line to Shinagawa and take the Narita Express, which departs every 30 minutes.

3.5 hours is a bit tight, you don't leave much room for a delay. Immigration, waiting for the next departure, and transport time will be an absolute minimum of 2 hours. There is no F fast track immigration in Haneda.
JMM58 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It depends a bit on timing, there is a bus at 16:10, and then only at 17:20 from the international terminal. The alternative is to go to one of the domestic terminals where the busses depart far more frewin that period.

Or you could take the keikyu line to Shinagawa and take the Narita Express, which departs every 30 minutes.

3.5 hours is a bit tight, you don't leave much room for a delay. Immigration, waiting for the next departure, and transport time will be an absolute minimum of 2 hours. There is no F fast track immigration in Haneda.
When you say "transport time will be an absolute minimum of 2 hours" is that the length of the bus ride?
Old Feb 10, 2020, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
When you say "transport time will be an absolute minimum of 2 hours" is that the length of the bus ride?
Immigration, waiting for the next departure, and transport time will be an absolute minimum of 2hours.
JMM58 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Immigration, waiting for the next departure, and transport time will be an absolute minimum of 2hours.
How about if I take an UBER?
Old Feb 10, 2020, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you can get out in time, you might find the train is the best option.
Timetable changes depending on day of the week (different service on weekends/holidays), but generally, if you can make it to the station for a 3:45pm departure there is an inexpensive through route to NRT.
It isn’t foolproof and does occasionally get delayed, so have back up options in readiness.

Old Feb 10, 2020, 11:58 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
If you arrive on a weekday this week:
Limousine Bus
15:48 departure (NRT T2)
17:20 arrival (HND T2)

If you miss it:
16:03 departure (T2)
17.42 arrival (T2)

Is the train better?
No it's not, change twice and only save about 6 minutes. The trains won't be late, but you might get lost when changing and then game over.

Will you make it then?
Absolutely no guarantee. You will depend on immigration queues (can be huge - usually worse in the morning so your times should be okay. If you have a resident Visa it will be fast. do you?).
I don't believe there is fast track for F passengers but I may be wrong, worth looking into.
Even in the best case scenario you will arrive about 1 hour before your flight. Tight tight!
I'd recommend changing your flight if you can, for the peace of mind.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
Is the train better?
No it's not, change twice and only save about 6 minutes. The trains won't be late, but you might get lost when changing and then game over.
not necessarily - there is currently a direct airport to airport through route at 3:45pm on weekdays. No train changes.
takes 90 minutes, costs under 1,400. Details in the thread CPH-Flyer linked to.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
If you arrive on a weekday this week:
Limousine Bus
15:48 departure (NRT T2)
17:20 arrival (HND T2)

If you miss it:
16:03 departure (T2)
17.42 arrival (T2)

Is the train better?

Will you make it then?
Absolutely no guarantee. You will depend on immigration queues (can be huge - usually worse in the morning so your times should be okay. If you have a resident Visa it will be fast. do you?).
I don't believe there is fast track for F passengers but I may be wrong, worth looking into.
Even in the best case scenario you will arrive about 1 hour before your flight. Tight tight!
I'd recommend changing your flight if you can, for the peace of mind.
OP is going from Haneda, not to Haneda.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.