Reload this Page >

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
This thread is for discussion of the coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to Japan. Non-Japan-related discussion should be taken either to the most relevant forum, the Coronavirus and Travel forum, or the OMNI forums.

UPDATE FOR TOURISTS LOOKING TO VISIT JAPAN AFTER COVID-19 BORDER RESTRICTIONS EASE
Japan does currently not allow entry for general tourism purposes. Most visa waivers are suspended, and travel to Japan for non resident foreigners generally require a visa. And quarantine as described for the countries and territories below.

UPDATE FOR PEOPLE WITH VISAS THAT ALLOW ENTRY INTO JAPAN
The quarantine requirements mentioned below will generally apply to entrants in Japan. As the conditions of who can obtain a visa for entry on exceptional circumstances are not clearly listed anywhere, it is necessary to confirm entry requirements with your local Japanese diplomatic representatives

Spouses and children of foreign permanent residents or Japanese nationals, can obtain visas for short term stays (up to 90 days) by applying in person or by mail at an overseas Japanese consulate. Required documentation includes application form, letter with reason for purpose of visit, bank statement and Koseki Tohon. Processing times have been reported as on the spot to up to one week.

From March 1st, business travelers, students and technical trainees can again enter Japan. There is a need to have a receiving organisation to apply for the visa. For business travelers, there will be one point of contact with the Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Though the full details are not published yet (as of typing on the 27th of February, please add them if you have seen them)

Business travelers must have a Japanese company or organization apply for a Certificate for Completion of Registration to the MHLW ERFS system. This is a two step process. The company must first register and then apply for the Certificate for the traveler. These can both be done online and completed in less than an hour.The website for doing this is https://entry.hco.mhlw.go.jp/.

After getting the certificate the traveler must apply for visa at the Japanese Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction for where they reside. (They are quite strict about this. E.g. you can't apply while traveling in a foreign country.) The information on the Consulate pages state that you need Letter of Guarantee, Invitation Letter, etc when applying for the visa. In fact, however, if you have the EFRS certificate, all you need is the visa application, your passport and a photo. The Consulate will issue the visa within 5 days.

​​​​​​

UPDATE JAPANESE CITIZENS AND RETURNING FOREIGN JAPAN RESIDENTS

All people travelling to Japan has to present a negative PCR test taking no earlier than. 72 hours before departure to be able to board the flight. The certificate has to meet the information requirements and test types from the Japanese government.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000799426.pdf

From the 7th of June, passport number, nationality, signature and stamp from the doctor/medical institution are no longer required.
​​​​​
The requirement for pre-departure test will be removed for passengers on flights landing after the 7th of September 00:00 provided that they have received a full bases vaccination and a booster vaccination. Accepted vaccines are Moderna, Pfizer, Astra, Zeneca, J&J, Novavax, Covaxin.

Uploading documents in advance via the mysos app or via the mysos website is required. For details please see https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/

The arrival process is as follows. Countries will be grouped in red, yellow, and blue.
  • Group “Red”:On-arrival test is required. 3-day quarantine at a government-designated facility is required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate may have 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) instead.
  • Group “Yellow”:On-arrival test and 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) are required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate are not required to have on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures.
  • Group “Blue”:Regardless of the vaccination status of the entrants/returnees, on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures are not required.
Vaccine certificate does require three doses of vaccines.
​​​
Red countries:
Albania, Sierra Leone

Yellow countries:
Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, Botswana, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Cook Island, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominica, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Macau, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Nicaragua, Niger, Niue, North Korea, North Macedonia, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Portugal, Republic of Burundi, Republic of Congo, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Vanuatu, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Solomon, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vatican, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Blue countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentine, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote d’lvoire, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgyz, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Western Sahara, Zambia

For updates to the lists of countries and territories and changes to the rules check the website of the ministry of foreign affairs https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html and ask in the thread for clarifications and experiences of entering Japan.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2022, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Quarantine hotel and the food, tests taken during the quarantine, are all paid for by the government.
Which in turn is paid for by taxpayers in Japan. You're welcome.

(alright, fine, about a third paid for by taxpayers in Japan, and the rest propped up by whomever keeps buying government bonds)
ainternational likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Which in turn is paid for by taxpayers in Japan. You're welcome.

(alright, fine, about a third paid for by taxpayers in Japan, and the rest propped up by whomever keeps buying government bonds)
This! Exactly what I was thinking.

Oh and re the bonds, I think only the BOJ buys them from what I’ve heard. Makes no sense to me but I was on the receiving end of a lecture on the topic by a Japanese armchair economist recently who claimed so. Don’t trust everything you read on the internet? Good thing is I don’t care enough to worry about it.
rustykettel likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Nope -- it's all on me -- I polluted two prefectures this past trip setting new records in Yamaguchi! -- and will be back soon to finish it off!
It seems that your visit and continued boasting have also offended the Yamaguchi Shinto gods of weather.

Level five weather alert issued in Yamaguchi
Old Jul 18, 2022, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
It seems that your visit and continued boasting have also offended the Yamaguchi Shinto gods of weather.

Level five weather alert issued in Yamaguchi
They so desperately need the rain -- although not all at once! The rainy season this year in Yamaguchi was barely rainy -- water levels are incredibly low -- hopefully this helps out some....
Old Jul 18, 2022, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They so desperately need the rain -- although not all at once! The rainy season this year in Yamaguchi was barely rainy -- water levels are incredibly low -- hopefully this helps out some....
Also Kyushu and Shikoku to varying degrees . What I find hilarious is that the Ministry of Weather declared the rainy season over weeks ago.......
Old Jul 18, 2022, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Also Kyushu and Shikoku to varying degrees . What I find hilarious is that the Ministry of Weather declared the rainy season over weeks ago.......
Welcome to Japan inc. where everyone and everything is governed by the pre-determined schedule. Rainy season is 2 weeks in June and has been since Edo.
CoffeeTraveler likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Okinawa Prefecture is putting the "no restrictions" COVID policy of the government to the test. Two thirds of the island's COVID hospital beds are filled, beds for severe cases are completely filled in several areas, and over 700 medical staff are unable to work due to infection or being a close contact.

Still, as this is the beginning of the peak tourism season, the local government has no plans to introduce any restrictions. The only thing to come out of the recent advisory meeting is requesting event organizers to further implement prevention measures.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 6:50 pm

Okinawa Prefecture is putting the "no restrictions" COVID policy of the government to the test. Two thirds of the island's COVID hospital beds are filled, beds for severe cases are completely filled in several areas, and over 700 medical staff are unable to work due to infection or being a close contact.

Still, as this is the beginning of the peak tourism season, the local government has no plans to introduce any restrictions. The only thing to come out of the recent advisory meeting is requesting event organizers to further implement prevention measures.
Well it seems that after two plus years of finding excuses to ban foreigners Japan may be finally coming to grips with the fact that foreigners aren't the issue -- or maybe they have just run out of logic for blaming them.... Either way I hope that Japan rejoins the world soon.....
Old Jul 18, 2022, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well it seems that after two plus years of finding excuses to ban foreigners Japan may be finally coming to grips with the fact that foreigners aren't the issue -- or maybe they have just run out of logic for blaming them.... Either way I hope that Japan rejoins the world soon.....
Not sure where that came from, as my post had nothing to do with foreigners.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 7:12 pm

Wow - hold on -- wasn't anything about you -- just a commentary on the Japanese strategy of banning foreigners to protect Japan from COVID.... A bit hard to blame them for recent trends don't you think? And the narrative of many on this board -- and in the media -- is that in Okinawa it was the US military driving all the infections -- remember? But given the massive spike in Tokyo and others -- who can be blamed for that?
THECLIPPERS, LETTERBOY and Topcare like this.

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Jul 18, 2022 at 7:28 pm
Old Jul 18, 2022, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
I know this is shocking, but it isn’t always about you.
THECLIPPERS, sameruval and Topcare like this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow - hold on -- wasn't anything about you -- just a commentary on the Japanese strategy of banning foreigners to protect Japan from COVID.... A bit hard to blame them for recent trends don't you think? And the narrative on this board -- and in the media -- is that in Okinawa it was the US military driving all the infections -- remember? But given the massive spike in Tokyo and others -- who can be blamed for that?
I don't really care about the "blame" aspect at this point. If hospital resources are stretched and a foreign tourist comes down with COVID here, then there will be resources taken up by a person that didn't need to be here in the first place, and that's not fair to the people that live here.

It's not about blame, it's about Japan getting its spit in order to prove it can handle surges without endangering its citizens. And they are clearly still having issues there.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 7:38 pm

I don't really care about the "blame" aspect at this point. If hospital resources are stretched and a foreign tourist comes down with COVID here, then there will be resources taken up by a person that didn't need to be here in the first place, and that's not fair to the people that live here.

It's not about blame, it's about Japan getting its spit in order to prove it can handle surges without endangering its citizens. And they are clearly still having issues there.
So when a Japanese person gets COVID in a foreign country -- you would advocate that they do what? When my Japanese wife got it here in the US we took care of her -- no questions.... I'm constantly amazed at the attitudes of the Japanese towards the rest of the world -- it's a really unique perspective that is thankfully not shared by most.... At some point - humans have to care about humans -- and realize that certain things like COVID -- are not so easily controlled across nations or peoples....

And to be VERY clear -- the reason hospitals are stretched so thin now in Japan is 100% due to the Japanese -- blaming foreigners is so two years ago....
ShopAround, LETTERBOY, m.y and 5 others like this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So when a Japanese person gets COVID in a foreign country -- you would advocate that they do what?
I think I'm finished with your strawman arguments. Thanks for your time.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 7:42 pm

I think I'm finished with your strawman arguments. Thanks for your time.
Totally understand -- I think we all get your perspective... And just to be clear once again -- my comments to your original quote weren't about YOU -- just about Japan in general....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.