Reload this Page >

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
This thread is for discussion of the coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to Japan. Non-Japan-related discussion should be taken either to the most relevant forum, the Coronavirus and Travel forum, or the OMNI forums.

UPDATE FOR TOURISTS LOOKING TO VISIT JAPAN AFTER COVID-19 BORDER RESTRICTIONS EASE
Japan does currently not allow entry for general tourism purposes. Most visa waivers are suspended, and travel to Japan for non resident foreigners generally require a visa. And quarantine as described for the countries and territories below.

UPDATE FOR PEOPLE WITH VISAS THAT ALLOW ENTRY INTO JAPAN
The quarantine requirements mentioned below will generally apply to entrants in Japan. As the conditions of who can obtain a visa for entry on exceptional circumstances are not clearly listed anywhere, it is necessary to confirm entry requirements with your local Japanese diplomatic representatives

Spouses and children of foreign permanent residents or Japanese nationals, can obtain visas for short term stays (up to 90 days) by applying in person or by mail at an overseas Japanese consulate. Required documentation includes application form, letter with reason for purpose of visit, bank statement and Koseki Tohon. Processing times have been reported as on the spot to up to one week.

From March 1st, business travelers, students and technical trainees can again enter Japan. There is a need to have a receiving organisation to apply for the visa. For business travelers, there will be one point of contact with the Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Though the full details are not published yet (as of typing on the 27th of February, please add them if you have seen them)

Business travelers must have a Japanese company or organization apply for a Certificate for Completion of Registration to the MHLW ERFS system. This is a two step process. The company must first register and then apply for the Certificate for the traveler. These can both be done online and completed in less than an hour.The website for doing this is https://entry.hco.mhlw.go.jp/.

After getting the certificate the traveler must apply for visa at the Japanese Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction for where they reside. (They are quite strict about this. E.g. you can't apply while traveling in a foreign country.) The information on the Consulate pages state that you need Letter of Guarantee, Invitation Letter, etc when applying for the visa. In fact, however, if you have the EFRS certificate, all you need is the visa application, your passport and a photo. The Consulate will issue the visa within 5 days.

​​​​​​

UPDATE JAPANESE CITIZENS AND RETURNING FOREIGN JAPAN RESIDENTS

All people travelling to Japan has to present a negative PCR test taking no earlier than. 72 hours before departure to be able to board the flight. The certificate has to meet the information requirements and test types from the Japanese government.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000799426.pdf

From the 7th of June, passport number, nationality, signature and stamp from the doctor/medical institution are no longer required.
​​​​​
The requirement for pre-departure test will be removed for passengers on flights landing after the 7th of September 00:00 provided that they have received a full bases vaccination and a booster vaccination. Accepted vaccines are Moderna, Pfizer, Astra, Zeneca, J&J, Novavax, Covaxin.

Uploading documents in advance via the mysos app or via the mysos website is required. For details please see https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/

The arrival process is as follows. Countries will be grouped in red, yellow, and blue.
  • Group “Red”:On-arrival test is required. 3-day quarantine at a government-designated facility is required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate may have 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) instead.
  • Group “Yellow”:On-arrival test and 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) are required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate are not required to have on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures.
  • Group “Blue”:Regardless of the vaccination status of the entrants/returnees, on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures are not required.
Vaccine certificate does require three doses of vaccines.
​​​
Red countries:
Albania, Sierra Leone

Yellow countries:
Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, Botswana, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Cook Island, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominica, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Macau, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Nicaragua, Niger, Niue, North Korea, North Macedonia, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Portugal, Republic of Burundi, Republic of Congo, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Vanuatu, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Solomon, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vatican, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Blue countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentine, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote d’lvoire, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgyz, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Western Sahara, Zambia

For updates to the lists of countries and territories and changes to the rules check the website of the ministry of foreign affairs https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html and ask in the thread for clarifications and experiences of entering Japan.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2020, 2:13 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by iahphx
There will be few if any foreign countries that will be willing to take them for the next 2 weeks, so they'll be "out and about" in Tokyo.
In addition to the US already having picked up most of theirs, Australia is grabbing theirs tonight/tomorrow (along with NZ citizens I think?) and putting their people in 2-week quarantine near Darwin. NZers I think will be quarantined in NZ for 2 weeks.
Hong Kong seem to be doing something similar, as are Canadians. Altogether, I think those removed by those countries alone will near enough to halve the 2,000+ passengers who will be freely roaming in Japan.
benjahman and AChekhovGun like this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Feb 19, 2020 at 9:21 am
Old Feb 19, 2020, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Only 443 released from the boat today.

Another 79 infections recorded, bringing the total from the boat up to 621.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 5:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The Princess CEO was interviewed on CNN and basically said that the people being released pose no threat because Japan says they don't. Crew will do a fourteen day quarantine (presumably again it will end on day fourteen regardless of what happens) and then two months' paid leave. I didn't hear it all, but the part I saw didn't have any details regarding the crew quarantine location or other logistic details.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 5:58 am

Maybe they could do the quarantine on the boat with the Japanese helping to make sure they infect any crew they missed the first time round.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 6:00 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by IMOA
Maybe they could do the quarantine on the boat with the Japanese helping to make sure they infect any crew they missed the first time round.
Let's not forget the promise to release them into the winds in fourteen days no matter what.

Tokyo, the new Wuhan.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 7:11 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Let's not forget the promise to release them into the winds in fourteen days no matter what.

Tokyo, the new Wuhan.
Statements like this seem extremely irresponsible and more dangerous to the people of Japan than some American tourists going to spend a few days there.
Shameful.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 7:34 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by AChekhovGun
Exactly. Every time you step out of your house, get behind the wheel of a car, or get out of bed, you're at risk due to external events beyond your control.

But we all leave our house, drive our cars, and get out of bed.. Right?

There's a sliding scale for everything, and for me a trip to Japan right now is a risk I don't need to take. Since you feel differently just be comfortable with your decision.
Duke787 likes this.

Last edited by KevinDTW; Feb 19, 2020 at 7:43 am
Old Feb 19, 2020, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Statements like this seem extremely irresponsible and more dangerous to the people of Japan than some American tourists going to spend a few days there.
Shameful.
What? Have you been paying attention to the news in Japan? Even excluding the cruise ship it's clear containment has been lost.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 8:48 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by bosleto
What? Have you been paying attention to the news in Japan? Even excluding the cruise ship it's clear containment has been lost.
Yes, I have been paying attention.
I stand by my assessment that saying the situation in Tokyo is the same as in Wuhan is irresponsible hyperbole, at best.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iahphx
You'd better keep those fingers crossed. Thanks to Japanese government insanity, about 2000 passengers and crew are about to be released from the Diamond Princess into Tokyo. There will be few if any foreign countries that will be willing to take them for the next 2 weeks, so they'll be "out and about" in Tokyo. In the last few days, we've been seeing almost 100 people from the boat get diagnosed with WuFlu, so if those numbers hold after release, you'll have several hundred active cases in Tokyo in the next week. I would say this is a "worst case scenario," but I'm not so sure about that. If that occurs, the US airlines will almost certainly end flights to Japan (the crews will immediately refuse to fly) and the US government, and many others, will impose a China-like travel quarantine on Japan. Good luck.
What in the world is Japan thinking?

I think this action likely seals our decision to postpone our trip to Japan. Especially in light of the situation in Cambodia with the Westerdam where "healthy passengers" were released only for them to later show symptoms and be carriers of the disease.

Originally Posted by KevinDTW
There's a sliding scale for everything, and for me a trip to Japan right now is a risk I don't need to take. Since you feel differently just be comfortable with your decision.
+1. Clearly containment has been lost and coupled with the risk of random quarantines it seems like a non-mandatory tourist visit to Japan is tempting fate (especially since our plans are virtually all points bookings except our NRT - ITM flight so there are few monetary penalties from cancellation).

It's painful for me to say that too -- I love visiting Japan and have been planning this trip for nearly 10 months but it's not worth going, especially if we're going to be worried the entire trip.
KevinDTW likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Duke787
...especially if we're going to be worried the entire trip.
And apparently for weeks afterwards as the people on that Delta flight just found out. That's what sealed it for us, even though like you we love Japan and had this trip planned for months. In addition to everything else we had a long Shinkansen trip planned from Tokyo to Hiroshima, which was another public transportation situation I didn't feel good about anymore.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 10:03 am

I would be grateful if anybody can speculate with me here.

US pax departing the Princess won't be allowed to return to US for at least 14 days, per the gov't.

Our itinerary is as follows:

March 3: USA->NRT->BKK, 3 hour layover in Tokyo.
March 10: BKK->NRT, spend 5 days in Tokyo.
March 15: NRT-> USA

My biggest concern is that additional cases crop up in Tokyo either while we're in Thailand or Tokyo, and that the US Gov't says, anybody returning from Japan is now subject to a 14 day quarantine. How likely do you think that is?

Additionally, currently AA does not have a travel advisory for Japan, so there's nothing I can do (for free) right now regarding flight changes.

What else am I missing?
Old Feb 19, 2020, 10:15 am

Additionally, currently AA does not have a travel advisory for Japan, so there's nothing I can do (for free) right now regarding flight changes.
When I canceled my trip I explained my concerns to Delta and just asked nicely if they might consider waiving the cancellation fees under the circumstances, which they did immediately and with no pushback. If you want to cancel or change your itinerary it's at least worth a call.
Tilto007 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 10:18 am

Some hotels seem to be allowing even nonrefundable reservations to be cancelled due to the WuFlu. IIRC Hyatt has posted such an announcement while with other chains, it might be the hotel's decision. With bookings that aren't nonrefundable, pay attention to deadlines and of course retain a copy of the written terms for the reservation.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 3:17 pm

I would be grateful if anybody can speculate with me here.

US pax departing the Princess won't be allowed to return to US for at least 14 days, per the gov't.

Our itinerary is as follows:

March 3: USA->NRT->BKK, 3 hour layover in Tokyo.
March 10: BKK->NRT, spend 5 days in Tokyo.
March 15: NRT-> USA

My biggest concern is that additional cases crop up in Tokyo either while we're in Thailand or Tokyo, and that the US Gov't says, anybody returning from Japan is now subject to a 14 day quarantine. How likely do you think that is?

What else am I missing?
Watch what Thailand does as well. There’s a risk they cut off travel to Japan at some point.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/n...19_48/amp.html
LTN Phobia and MSPeconomist like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.