High-end hotel recommendation for 3-4 nights in Tokyo, emphasis on amenities

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

High-end hotel recommendation for 3-4 nights in Tokyo, emphasis on amenities

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2019, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by shuigao
Totally off topic, but that's interesting to know, because the PanPac in SG is one of my favorite staycaytion hotels in the city ... and yet when I was searching for hotels for next JP trip there was not a single PanPac or even GHA Discovery (the alliance that PP belongs to) property in the entire country.
Tokyu Hotel in Minatomirai which sits between Royal Park and IC used to be Pan Pacific.
When Tokyu sold the Pan Pacific group, it apparently decided to keep that location.
For a while it was called Pan Pacific Tokyu Hotel (or some combo name like that). Somewhere along the way, Pan Pacific got dropped entirely and is now only bears the Tokyu name.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 8:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by evergrn
Japanese luxury hotel chains... that'd be an interesting thread.
Problem is, I don't know if there is one.
Jpn has so many hotel chains, yet I don't think a single one of them is consistently 5-star or even 4 star as you'd expect from Westin, Fairmont, IC, etc.

* New Otani - Ones at NASPA and in Yokohama are definitely not luxury hotels.
* Fujiya - The original Fujiya in Hakone has always had dated rooms with sketchy housekeeping.
* Hotel Nikko - Some are legit 4-stars, others (eg, Kawasaki) are really business hotels.
* ANA Hotels - mostly range from 3.5-star city hotels to business hotels.
* Royal Park - Was encouraged when I first stayed in their Minatomirai location, but Shiodome and Kyoto locations are not high-end.
* Okura - I understand their Tokyo location is 5-star, but their Kobe location had unit baths.
* Teikoku - I've only stayed at their Kamikochi one, but hard to classify them as a chain when they only have 3 locations.
* Prince - most inconsistent brand in the world probably... from Sakura/Kioicho Gallery to complete dumps at Sunshine City & Shinjuku.
* Righa Royal - Don't know enough about them.

Pan Pacific is probably the only one I can think of that had the potential to be a legitimate global luxury brand originating from Jpn. Too bad it's not Japanese anymore. Perhaps Royal Park has potential to be a reliably upscale chain, but they're not high-end based on my small sample size.

I think what really ruins the credibility of a lot of the above brands is the prevalence of unit baths which I really despise. I think they're ugly and often smell funky. Unit baths are good space savers, but why are Okura and ANA installing unit baths in rooms that are like 40m2?
Imperial is a small chain: Tokyo, Osaka, and a related property in Hawaii IIRC plus I think a fourth hotel. I'm not aware that Palace has sister properties, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were a few of them.

If you want old school Japanese, there's the renovated hotel in Tokyo Station (gorgeous and in a historic building) that's now affiliated with Hyatt, probably through Small Luxury Hotels, although it tends to be full most of the time when I've tried random dates.

How about a luxury ryokan? OTOH, except for the garden and bath, they're really not so suitable for hanging around the property to use facilities or even to use the room beyond meals and sleeping. Most of them and the best examples tend to be outside of cities.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Imperial is a small chain: Tokyo, Osaka, and a related property in Hawaii IIRC plus I think a fourth hotel.
actually Imperial is same as Teikoku hotel and they only have 3 locations (Tokyo Osaka Kamikochi).
Old Dec 11, 2019, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by mhy
Thanks for all the recommendations. Though The new Okura looks nice, but it's almost as expensive as Aman, and out of budget.

I've never stayed at an old-school Japanese hotel chain before, so I may go with Imperial, but will read reviews first. Looking at Andaz & Shangri-La I don't think they fit my tastes that well. I think PH or MO, and I don't want to rule out FS yet but it does not look like it's got enough amenities (eg no pool).
I like the Imperial but would not consider it a luxury property by any means. And I still love the PH but if you're looking for a convenient location, it is not a great option.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 11:43 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
No pool at MO
Old Dec 13, 2019, 12:54 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Problem is, I don't know if there is one....
Of course, there is a huge thread on this in the luxury hotel forum.

Tokyo luxury hotels (newer consolidated thread)
Old Dec 13, 2019, 8:36 pm

I second the thread in the luxury hotel forum, it was very helpful when planning my trip.

Having stayed at PH, Andaz, and the Conrad... I will offer a contrasting opinion about the Conrad. The hard product is very nice (we got bumped up to King Deluxe Bay Suite due to lack of our booked room), but the service was lacking in comparison, even to the Andaz. We were there during cherry blossom and it felt very crowded everywhere (lobby, lounge, restaurant - we had to go to a sit in a separate restaurant for breakfast seating). In comparison, even though the Andaz/PH were pretty much at capacity, we never felt crowded or that service suffered. If you do not care so much about service, it is not bad.

As you have been in PH before, the Andaz pool is more pleasing IMO, but it now has the view blocked. The locker room/bath facilities are also smaller.

While I have not been to either personally, I would look at Hoshinoya/Aman as next properties on my list of ‘to try’.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
I thought about including Palace in my comments but AFAIK there's no pool or lounge unless they were added during their renovations. I think of it as more of a high end business hotel than true luxury but YMMV. Good location.
Palace has a fitness center/pool and excellent lounge... they have been there since the property opened - it's only 7 years old.

https://en.palacehoteltokyo.com/evia...itness-center/
https://en.palacehoteltokyo.com/room...s/club-lounge/

I think of the Palace Hotel as somewhere I would be fine at not ever leaving the property, noting that the service is very Japanese so won't be to everyone's tastes (but may not be a problem at all for OP).

Last edited by gengar; Dec 17, 2019 at 6:17 am
Old Dec 17, 2019, 7:10 am
mhy
Original Poster

Programs: JGC
Problem is, I don't know if there is one.
Jpn has so many hotel chains, yet I don't think a single one of them is consistently 5-star or even 4 star as you'd expect from Westin, Fairmont, IC, etc.

* New Otani - Ones at NASPA and in Yokohama are definitely not luxury hotels.
* Fujiya - The original Fujiya in Hakone has always had dated rooms with sketchy housekeeping.
* Hotel Nikko - Some are legit 4-stars, others (eg, Kawasaki) are really business hotels.
* ANA Hotels - mostly range from 3.5-star city hotels to business hotels.
* Royal Park - Was encouraged when I first stayed in their Minatomirai location, but Shiodome and Kyoto locations are not high-end.
* Okura - I understand their Tokyo location is 5-star, but their Kobe location had unit baths.
* Teikoku - I've only stayed at their Kamikochi one, but hard to classify them as a chain when they only have 3 locations.
* Prince - most inconsistent brand in the world probably... from Sakura/Kioicho Gallery to complete dumps at Sunshine City & Shinjuku.
* Righa Royal - Don't know enough about them.

Pan Pacific is probably the only one I can think of that had the potential to be a legitimate global luxury brand originating from Jpn. Too bad it's not Japanese anymore. Perhaps Royal Park has potential to be a reliably upscale chain, but they're not high-end based on my small sample size.

I think what really ruins the credibility of a lot of the above brands is the prevalence of unit baths which I really despise. I think they're ugly and often smell funky. Unit baths are good space savers, but why are Okura and ANA installing unit baths in rooms that are like 40m2?
Thanks; I agree chains in Japan are really not 5 star / 4 star classifiable. My impression is the clientele are mostly Ojisan & Obasan who prefer old school service and have been staying at those kinds of places for decades. Unit baths is a no-no at expensive hotels!
Old Dec 17, 2019, 7:13 am
mhy
Original Poster

Imperial is a small chain: Tokyo, Osaka, and a related property in Hawaii IIRC plus I think a fourth hotel. I'm not aware that Palace has sister properties, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were a few of them.

If you want old school Japanese, there's the renovated hotel in Tokyo Station (gorgeous and in a historic building) that's now affiliated with Hyatt, probably through Small Luxury Hotels, although it tends to be full most of the time when I've tried random dates.

How about a luxury ryokan? OTOH, except for the garden and bath, they're really not so suitable for hanging around the property to use facilities or even to use the room beyond meals and sleeping. Most of them and the best examples tend to be outside of cities.
I considered the Tokyo Station Hotel, but it seems it's fully booked up and only the most expensive rooms are available ($1200 a night). I would like to try it in the future though, seems like a cool concept.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 7:26 am
mhy
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tearex
I second the thread in the luxury hotel forum, it was very helpful when planning my trip.

Having stayed at PH, Andaz, and the Conrad... I will offer a contrasting opinion about the Conrad. The hard product is very nice (we got bumped up to King Deluxe Bay Suite due to lack of our booked room), but the service was lacking in comparison, even to the Andaz. We were there during cherry blossom and it felt very crowded everywhere (lobby, lounge, restaurant - we had to go to a sit in a separate restaurant for breakfast seating). In comparison, even though the Andaz/PH were pretty much at capacity, we never felt crowded or that service suffered. If you do not care so much about service, it is not bad.

As you have been in PH before, the Andaz pool is more pleasing IMO, but it now has the view blocked. The locker room/bath facilities are also smaller.

While I have not been to either personally, I would look at Hoshinoya/Aman as next properties on my list of ‘to try’.
Hoshinoya does look interesting but on digging a bit more, doesn't seem to have that much in the way of amenities. Andaz looks attractive but I think I prefer the PH's vibe.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by mhy
I considered the Tokyo Station Hotel, but it seems it's fully booked up and only the most expensive rooms are available ($1200 a night). I would like to try it in the future though, seems like a cool concept.
I'm at Tokyo Station Hotel often because I like the Toraya cafe within, but it's not anywhere I'd consider staying (and I'd get Hyatt credit, too). The value proposition seems very poor for relatively small rooms in a property with such limited public/guest space, and AFAIK it's not even accessible from the station directly.

EDIT: As per corrected below.

Last edited by gengar; Dec 18, 2019 at 8:12 am
Old Dec 17, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club, ANA Super Flyers
Originally Posted by gengar
I'm at Tokyo Station Hotel often because I like the Toraya cafe within, but it's not anywhere I'd consider staying (and I'd get Hyatt credit, too). The value proposition seems very poor for relatively small rooms in a property with such limited public/guest space, and AFAIK it's not even accessible from the station directly.
Had the pleasure of staying there once. The main entrance points out towards the imperial palace, but there is a connection internally to the Marunouchi South gates at surface level.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Mizunara
Had the pleasure of staying there once. The main entrance points out towards the imperial palace, but there is a connection internally to the Marunouchi South gates at surface level.
Good to know, thanks! I've edited my post.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by gengar

EDIT: As per corrected below.
The smallest room at Tokyo Station Hotel (City View Queen) can often be booked for around $300 US per night, all fees included. Sure, the hotel is not a true luxury property (lacks a pool, for example) - but good luck finding a better room in central Tokyo at that price point, especially considering the very high level of service this hotel offers.
Shi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.