Reload this Page >

A long missing service - Pocket Change

Old Dec 2, 19, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards

I am sworn Pasmo/Suica user - otherwise the amount of coins needed in Japan is just overwhelming. However, my long time grudge has been that charging is possible only in 1000 increments (with some exceptions) Also, given that some places are still cash only, the coins still tend to fill up my pocket, but there is hardly ever enough to be able to use them (if a bill ends with 720, I surely will have 680 in coins)

During my last visit I bumped into this and it really saved my day.

https://www.pocket-change.jp/en/

In this machine you can deposit any amount of notes and coins (up to 20k I think) and put it on your IC money card. The machine accepts also a wide range of foreign currency (coins, too), though at a weakish rate - I think this feature is more aimed at returning Japanese, stuck with leftover foreign coins or notes.

The machines can be found at many locations, I used one at JR Sendai and another in NRT T1.
muji, rosensfole, gengar and 1 others like this.

Last edited by WilcoRoger; Dec 3, 19 at 2:15 am
Old Dec 2, 19, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Adding to that, the Tokyo Metro charging stations now have an option where you can charge your Pasmo/Suica card down to a specific JPY 10 increment. Only the Metro, though. I wanted to do the same at the JR charge station, so I asked a JR staffer at the manned gate and she was puzzled. So I walked her over to a Metro charging station (this was at JR Tokyo/Marunouchi Tokyo, and she was blown away.
jib71 and MattEvan like this.
Old Dec 2, 19, 12:47 pm

Yes, I hunted down a few PocketChange machines in KIX and Tennoji. I wish there were more since they take 1 & 5 yen coins. I like to save a few 100 yen for coin lockers, dryers, and random cash bus fare.

There's a few other ways to do this, too, with 10 yen and up.
https://matcha-jp.com/en/1981
Grocery stores with self checkout often takes 1 yen, 5 yen coins. I feel a bit better about that during an un-busy time than dumping it into a bus cash fare till.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...ins-Japan.html
I've read you can top up Suica at staffed checkout like MaxValue with small coins (can't find the reference at the moment) but I'm not sure if it is common.
Old Dec 3, 19, 6:21 am

Programs: AC E35, Aeroplan Black, Honors Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I am trying to remember if I was able to use coins under 1000 yen to recharge my ICOCA in Osaka at an Osaka Metro station near my hotel but I know I did it at the Tokyo Monorail Hamamatsucho station before flying home last year so I had the exact fare on my card.
Old Dec 17, 19, 6:38 am

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Great tip - will save me from having to make a stop at the Tokyo Metro machines every time I end a trip. (As a side note, the Tokyo Metro machines have always allowed 10yen increments since I started visiting Tokyo regularly a few years ago).

Originally Posted by beanie72 View Post
I am trying to remember if I was able to use coins under 1000 yen to recharge my ICOCA in Osaka at an Osaka Metro station near my hotel but I know I did it at the Tokyo Monorail Hamamatsucho station before flying home last year so I had the exact fare on my card.
I don't recall any operator in Kansai allowing IC recharges under 1000yen.
Old Dec 20, 19, 7:08 am

I wish I had seen this a week ago, before I returned from Tokyo. The 1000 yen issue was a real PITA, especially since we learned it the hard way by tying up a machine for a few minutes in a futile attempt to get rid of all of our coins. This was the first time we actually realized that converting to Suica currency was a great way to get rid of coins, which we usually just took home with us, and we had a bag full at the time.

On a mostly unrelated note, I managed to mix in some 100 won S. Korean coins in with my huge cache of Japanese coins from my many previous trips. When trying to pay for a drink at DisneySea, the poor clerk had to inform us that this is not Japanese money, . I felt like a total idiot, but the two coins are very similar in size and appearance, aside from the obvious fact that the tiny script is in hangul instead of kanji, and the image is a man wearing very Korean-looking hanbok. I haven't even been to Korea in a while, so I was surprised I had so many coins from there.
Old Dec 25, 19, 1:34 pm

Programs: 75K AS, IHG
I used to love these coinstar-like machines for change in the US... But I haven't used cash here in years

Will these machines allow multiple currencies in one redemption? If so maybe I'll bring some international change on my next trip to see if I can fill up my Suica
Old Dec 26, 19, 3:00 am

Programs: LH FTL, EB*G(2)
Originally Posted by leland View Post
Will these machines allow multiple currencies in one redemption? If so maybe I'll bring some international change on my next trip to see if I can fill up my Suica
Watch out, it is not accepting "everything" - https://www.pocket-change.jp/en/accept-currencies/

@WilcoRoger: thanks for pointing to this - completly missed this so far.

Still like to bring the Y1 coins back home as souvenirs
leland likes this.
Old Dec 26, 19, 1:45 pm

Programs: 75K AS, IHG
Originally Posted by PAX_fips View Post
Watch out, it is not accepting "everything" - https://www.pocket-change.jp/en/accept-currencies/

@WilcoRoger: thanks for pointing to this - completly missed this so far.

Still like to bring the Y1 coins back home as souvenirs
Yep, I'm interested as I have an overlap with currency accepted and already have enough of the souvenir currency saved

Will be hunting down one of these machines on arrival to see how it goes.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: