Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

A long missing service - Pocket Change

Old Dec 2, 19, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards

I am sworn Pasmo/Suica user - otherwise the amount of coins needed in Japan is just overwhelming. However, my long time grudge has been that charging is possible only in 1000 increments (with some exceptions) Also, given that some places are still cash only, the coins still tend to fill up my pocket, but there is hardly ever enough to be able to use them (if a bill ends with 720, I surely will have 680 in coins)

During my last visit I bumped into this and it really saved my day.

https://www.pocket-change.jp/en/

In this machine you can deposit any amount of notes and coins (up to 20k I think) and put it on your IC money card. The machine accepts also a wide range of foreign currency (coins, too), though at a weakish rate - I think this feature is more aimed at returning Japanese, stuck with leftover foreign coins or notes.

The machines can be found at many locations, I used one at JR Sendai and another in NRT T1.
muji and rosensfole like this.

Last edited by WilcoRoger; Dec 3, 19 at 3:15 am
Old Dec 2, 19, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Adding to that, the Tokyo Metro charging stations now have an option where you can charge your Pasmo/Suica card down to a specific JPY 10 increment. Only the Metro, though. I wanted to do the same at the JR charge station, so I asked a JR staffer at the manned gate and she was puzzled. So I walked her over to a Metro charging station (this was at JR Tokyo/Marunouchi Tokyo, and she was blown away.
jib71 likes this.
Old Dec 2, 19, 1:47 pm

Yes, I hunted down a few PocketChange machines in KIX and Tennoji. I wish there were more since they take 1 & 5 yen coins. I like to save a few 100 yen for coin lockers, dryers, and random cash bus fare.

There's a few other ways to do this, too, with 10 yen and up.
https://matcha-jp.com/en/1981
Grocery stores with self checkout often takes 1 yen, 5 yen coins. I feel a bit better about that during an un-busy time than dumping it into a bus cash fare till.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...ins-Japan.html
I've read you can top up Suica at staffed checkout like MaxValue with small coins (can't find the reference at the moment) but I'm not sure if it is common.
Old Dec 3, 19, 7:21 am

Programs: AC E35, Aeroplan Black, Honors Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I am trying to remember if I was able to use coins under 1000 yen to recharge my ICOCA in Osaka at an Osaka Metro station near my hotel but I know I did it at the Tokyo Monorail Hamamatsucho station before flying home last year so I had the exact fare on my card.

Search this Thread