Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Suica Card vs Multiday Disney Resort line pass

Hi,

My mother and I will be spending 10 days in tokyo next april. ( we have sucia cards which we will recharge once in tokyo)

We are planning on spending 5 days in Tokyo Bay ( the hilton) visiting Disneyland on several days ( my brother and his girlfriend will be coming from Austraila and we will meet them in tokyo and they want to see disney for a few days)

My question is : Is it cheaper to get a multiday disney resort pass (say a 4 day pass) ( we will be using the monorail several times a day to/from the hotel) or just use the suica card ( ie does the sucia card effectively discount the fare to the same level as a multiday pass once you have done say 3 trips in one day)

Many thanks

TBS
Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:35 pm

I think it depends on how many times you'll be riding it.
It's 260yen per ride with Suica from Hilton (Bayside) to Disneyland.
This page says the 4-day pass is 1400yen.
So if you ride it 6 or more times over the course of 4 days, then the pass would be worth it.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not only are multiple day passes considerably cheaper for anyone making more than two monorail trips a day, you should be able to pool your passes and get a commemorative pin or two
https://tdrexplorer.com/exclusive-mo...disney-resort/
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:56 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus - Blue / Emirates Skywards - Blue
A Suica card is still worth it for convenience for any time spent outside of Disney world and for things like Maccy D's / Convenience stores - if you have an iPhone / Apple Watch you can just load it up and you won't forget / lose it as it's in you wallet.

This is just an extra bonus tip when I was at USJ and I'm sure the same applies to Disney too the food prices inside the park are abhorrently expensive - it might help you to reduce costs if everyone can make do with some packed convenience store lunches (obviously outside of the deliberate restaurant experiences for experiences sake)
Old Oct 1, 2018, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrploddy

This is just an extra bonus tip when I was at USJ and I'm sure the same applies to Disney too the food prices inside the park are abhorrently expensive - it might help you to reduce costs if everyone can make do with some packed convenience store lunches (obviously outside of the deliberate restaurant experiences for experiences sake)
Nope. May well be be true at USJ, and it is at Paris Disneyland too.
But at Tokyo Disney Resort the food prices are absolutely fine. A little more than in central Tokyo, but not by much.
MrLapLap is a big eater and we find the most economical way to keep him happy is to stick him in the Sailing Day Buffet at about 3pm - he’s ravenous by then. All you can eat and all you can drink (non alcohol) for around 3,000yen and includes cakes and ice cream - you can even put together your own melon and ice cream sodas. He’s stuffed after that until closing time. (Edit to add, just found out they’ve closed this place Just as well we made good use of it!)
When we aren’t with him, we go to the Canaletto Restaurant and get the lunch special; beautiful starter, pizza or pasta, a gorgeous dessert and unlimited soft drinks with gondolas next to us. About 2,800yen.
There are cheaper places to eat, but I can categorically deny that Disney Tokyo is an expensive place to dine.

Last edited by LapLap; Oct 1, 2018 at 6:21 am
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3 course lunch - Canaletto Disney Sea (April 2018)

Last edited by LapLap; Oct 1, 2018 at 5:06 am
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And the kids' plate - 1,500 including drinks

Excellent run down of the menus and prices here:
https://tdrexplorer.com/tokyo-disney...taurant-menus/
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus - Blue / Emirates Skywards - Blue
Originally Posted by LapLap

Excellent run down of the menus and prices here:
https://tdrexplorer.com/tokyo-disney...taurant-menus/
Everyones mile may very - I didn't mind paying a premium to eat at the tavern in the Harry Potter zone at USJ but the "American Diner" place I ate at the previous time was VERY VERY mundane. Probably family restaurat (Gasuto) level but prices jacked up to the 9's.

It was also extremely busy and had to queue to get a seat as well which just made for a stressful experience.

I've not been yet to Tokyo Disney but when I take Miss Mrploddy I will at least for one meal take konbini bento so we can be eating whilst waiting in line for a ride - will be 2 or 3 years yet before can consider Tokyo Disney as she's only 16 months though.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Everyones mile may very - I didn't mind paying a premium to eat at the tavern in the Harry Potter zone at USJ but the "American Diner" place I ate at the previous time was VERY VERY mundane. Probably family restaurat (Gasuto) level but prices jacked up to the 9's.

It was also extremely busy and had to queue to get a seat as well which just made for a stressful experience.

I've not been yet to Tokyo Disney but when I take Miss Mrploddy I will at least for one meal take konbini bento so we can be eating whilst waiting in line for a ride - will be 2 or 3 years yet before can consider Tokyo Disney as she's only 16 months though.
I used to go with packed lunches, but you still have to pay for a locker to store them or cart them around half a day. And eating a full bento in a queue is something I just can’t do, it’s just not the done thing. An onigiri is OK, but a full meal... perhaps on a mat waiting for a parade. Thing is, you aren’t supposed to bring meals in, even though snacks are tolerated. There’s a picnic area next to lockers just outside both parks set aside for exactly this.
Anyway, after bringing in home made and store bought bento over several years we realised that the food in the parks wasn’t much more expensive and, with some exceptions (Woody’s Horseshoe Roundup is one ) the food is decent and enjoyable. And if you can avoid the 12am-1:30pm scrum, queues are manageable too - at least they are in mid April.
I’m as penny pinching as they come (I’m sure I have a reputation on this forum for appreciating value for money) but I don’t take obento to Tokyo Disney anymore. And this is coming from someone who will use a vintage popcorn bucket and make popcorn that very morning and take a refill pack with us AND who saves the monorail fares by walking to and from Maihama Station and Disney Sea. As I said - PROPER penny pincher!

EDIT TI ADD Here’s the official line about not taking food in:
https://www.tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/...ce/detail/013/
An exception not mentioned is those with dietary restrictions. In cases where visitors can’t expect to have their eating requirements catered to (religious/moral/allergy etc.) they can take in a lunch box and have it heated at one of several restaurants and cafes in the park, they’ll be expected to eat it there too.

I thought my own kid was too young at 2 and a half when her grandfather took her to Tokyo Disneyland. Boy was I wrong. We arrived at opening and she stayed awake right until the last firework went off. Then she was out like a light.
freecia likes this.

Last edited by LapLap; Oct 1, 2018 at 7:49 am
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
does the sucia card effectively discount the fare to the same level as a multiday pass once you have done say 3 trips in one day)
No. Suica doesn't work that way. The only pass that I know of that you can have on a Suica is a monthly pass. All other passes must be purchased separately and will come on their own (magnetic) cards. You might be thinking of London's Oyster card, which does work as you describe: automatically upgrading you to the applicable multi-journey pass as you qualify, giving you credit for prior journeys, without you having to do anything.[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by evergrn
So if you ride it 6 or more times over the course of 4 days, then the pass would be worth it.
And, considering that it's a separate fare for each direction, even visiting one of the parks once a day will be 8 rides over 4 days, and you'll probably end up doing more than that, so the pass will definitely save money.
LapLap and Sandeep1 like this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hi,

Thanks for all the advice. We will use our Suica cards and buy the Disney Resort line passes once there.

Our initial plan is
3 days in Tokyo ( 11-14th April). Hilton and Marriott prices are high but the New Otani looks very nice and prices are reasonable and the location looks reasonablt
7 nights at the hilton tokyo bay ( Sunday 14th April to Sunday 21st April ( Easter) with the first 3 days at Disneyland/Disney sea before the easter crowds arrive with the other days exploring Odaiba and sights on the eastern side of central tokyo. Whilst personally I feel 7 nights is a bit too long at Tokyo bay with the commute into Tokyo , my brother and his partner fly back to Adelaide Australia on the 21st so I do not feel another hotel change is worthwhile for only 2 nights.
I think we will pay for the Celebrio lounge access at the Hilton for breakfast and evening snacks and afternoon tea/coffee as last April my mother was getting tired by mid-afternoon so we generally spent the morning sightseeing then back to the hotel in mid-afternoon then out again for a little while in the evening

My mother and I would have another 5 or 6 nights before flying back to the UK so our options are
(1) Back to central tokyo
(2) down to Osaka/kyoto for a few days
(3) If I can get a reasonable Cathay pacific flight price from the UK then stopover in hong kong for a few days ( and possibly go to Macau as we did Hong kong last april en routeback from tokyo for 3 nights)

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 14, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
7 nights at the hilton tokyo bay ( Sunday 14th April to Sunday 21st April ( Easter) with the first 3 days at Disneyland/Disney sea before the easter crowds arrive with the other days exploring Odaiba and sights on the eastern side of central tokyo.
TBS
One thing to keep in mind - HTB offers a free shuttle bus between the hotel and JR Maihama station. The schedule is posted at the bus stop, but it is generally every 20 minutes as I recall. You could use this free bus instead of the monorail on the "exploring Tokyo" days instead of the monorail. Your schedule is perfect for this approach, since the bus stop is easy to find at the hotel but perhaps a bit harder to find at Maihama - but once you've taken the bus from the hotel to Maihama you'll know how to reverse the route.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mnbp
One thing to keep in mind - HTB offers a free shuttle bus between the hotel and JR Maihama station. The schedule is posted at the bus stop, but it is generally every 20 minutes as I recall. You could use this free bus instead of the monorail on the "exploring Tokyo" days instead of the monorail. Your schedule is perfect for this approach, since the bus stop is easy to find at the hotel but perhaps a bit harder to find at Maihama - but once you've taken the bus from the hotel to Maihama you'll know how to reverse the route.
Hi,

Thanks for that. I have seen it but on my last time the queue for the bus at HTB was large ( probably more than 1 bus ) so we took the Disney Resort Line . My brother's partner is a disney fan so she will love the DRT but we will see how the queues are. It will be their first time to Tokyo ( I have been 4 times now so will be acting as the navigtor/guide around tokyo!)
It will be good to see them again ( they were due here in Scotland last Christmas but had to cancel as she was undergoing chemotherapy for breast cancer which is now almost finished ( successfully)

Regards

TBS
LapLap likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 4:39 am

Programs: United Gold
A Suica card is still worth it for convenience for any time spent outside of Disney world and for things like Maccy D's / Convenience stores - if you have an iPhone / Apple Watch you can just load it up and you won't forget / lose it as it's in you wallet.
I actually got rid of the physical Suica card once I put it on my iPhone (I think it becomes un-loadble after you put it on the iPhone), and I agree it is insanely convenient to have it on your phone instead of having to look for the card. This however would not preclude me from buying the Disney pass because I think they are super cute!
Old Dec 26, 2019, 5:48 pm

Abhorrently expensive is a bit strong. Expensive, yes. But, in line with most Disney parks around the world. You're paying for the convenience of eating inside the parks. And it really depends on where you're going. Plenty of casual places that have delicious food and reasonable prices like Vulcania.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.