Old wooden Harajuku Station to be demolished

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2019, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Old wooden Harajuku Station to be demolished

WTAF!!!!

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/n...iGw6yqL6w1KKN4

“East Japan Railway says it will tear down Harajuku Station, the oldest wooden station building in Tokyo, after the 2020 Olympics and Paralympics in the metropolis.“

Apparently it is not sufficiently fire resistant.

Oh well, going to have to schedule in a serious photo shoot with the little one next Spring.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 5:01 am

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
Originally Posted by LapLap
WTAF!!!!
“East Japan Railway says it will tear down Harajuku Station, the oldest wooden station building in Tokyo, after the 2020 Olympics and Paralympics in the metropolis.“
With all the construction going on around the station, I thought for sure they were going to tear it down before the Olympics... at least it sounds like they'll be using the new and bigger platform by then.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 5:12 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by LapLap
WTAF!!!!

Apparently it is not sufficiently fire resistant.

Oh well, going to have to schedule in a serious photo shoot with the little one next Spring.
Bummer - Seems like they could rehabilitate it.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 5khours
Bummer - Seems like they could rehabilitate it.
Perhaps it will end up still hosting the occasional steam train at Meiji Mura in Inuyama.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 5:32 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Well, they do say that they will recreate it with modern materials.

Watching some documentary about how painstakingly they redid Tokyo station, down to the exact brick color, I might put faith into this being done nicely. (but I have no firsthand knowledge)
Old Nov 20, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
I'd like them to preserve the original station in an architecture park, as Lap suggested. If they're removing the original building wholesale (which makes sense, given the safety concerns and space constraints at the current location), I expect the "recreation" in modern materials on the same site will be pure window dressing, so to speak - no better than photographs from the point of view of preserving a historic / cultural asset.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 10:11 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by groovbusta
With all the construction going on around the station, I thought for sure they were going to tear it down before the Olympics... at least it sounds like they'll be using the new and bigger platform by then.
Me too. I remember reading about it being replaced last year and got a few snaps in December before it would be gone.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold (1K 2016–2023 by miracle extensions; RIP 1K status), 1MM
Japan is the land of replicas. Sooo many Meiji-era buildings that have been "preserved," complete with historic markers, are fakes. And even with old buildings, they clean them up so much the patina is gone so it's hard to tell which is which from the outside.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 3:21 am

This is from Japan news showing the rendition of the new station to blend into the design of the neighborhood.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20.../#.Xde0zYoxWhA

Old Nov 22, 2019, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by northsideguy
This is from Japan news showing the rendition of the new station to blend into the design of the neighborhood.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20.../#.Xde0zYoxWhA

“Blend in”? With Gap and Starbucks???
I can actually imagine the new grey brown building as a station in the suburbs somewhere, or in a mountain town, but it is so very “meh” in the Harajuku/Ometesando area. Hate it!
rustykettel likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 5:44 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Agreed, that’s a sad replacement for such a great looking landmark. Such is the price of progress...
Old Nov 22, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Blend in doesn't seem like a good design goal for a popular station like Harajuku with a good number of unfamiliar visitors. Good news is the flow of people in and out should be a clue.
LapLap likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.