24h layover in Tokyo - worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

24h layover in Tokyo - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by whipwhitaker
I just checked the TSH, which is $404 for that night. Can anyone comment on either the
Daiwa Roynet Hotel Ginza
Hotel The Celestine Ginza
Mitsui Garden Hotel Ginza. ??

Also, any sushi or Kobe steak recommendations in Ginza / Tokyo station (or anywhere else) are greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys! I’m getting excited
For a very casual and cheap food experience near Tokyo station, go to the yakatori under the tracks street for grilled chicken and beer. These places are very popular with Japanese salarymen in nearby office buildings for after work happy hour, although OP will be in Tokyo on a Sunday night.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Another Marriott choice for gardens would be one of the Prince properties that are co-located on the hill near Shinagawa station, but again I don't think there's much else of interest in the immediate vicinity.
That was the Marriott in Shinagawa I referred to (used to be The Prince Sakura Tower). But it is just as expensive as the Marriotts closer to Tokyo Station.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:34 pm

The Tokyo Station Hotel is gorgeous. It's historic and to me feels more Japanese than many of the other Tokyo hotels, especially in this price range. Unfortunately it's often full.

IIRC it's loosely affiliated with Hyatt, perhaps as a Small Luxury Hotel. It might also be available via FHR, Virtuoso, etc.
Agreed, TSH is very Japanese, especially in service - in the best possible way. True omotenashi.

TSH is indeed a member of "Small Luxury Hotels of the World" so it can be booked on Hyatt points now, at 25K points per night for their station-facing atrium rooms. But availability on points is typically not good. Personally, I don't think it is a great points redemption anyways, since various room types are often available in the $250 to $350 range.

TSH is also part of "The Hotel Collection", so room upgrade when available + $100 in hotel credit per stay if booked via Amex travel.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA, Amex
Also, any sushi or Kobe steak recommendations in Ginza / Tokyo station (or anywhere else) are greatly appreciated.
That's a bit of a broad question. Would be good to know what type of atmosphere, meal service and price range you're expecting. Like I'd have a hard time imagining you'd get disappointing sushi anywhere. It's more a question of what kind of experience you're looking for.

Let's talk sushi for example.

Kaiten (conveyor belt) sushi places are casual. No reservation, go in, sit down, grab whatever you want as it comes by. When you're done they tally up your plates and give you the bill. Won't break the bank. Pretty quick and easy.

On the other end of the spectrum you can go to places which have maybe 7-9 total seats and only do omakase - where the chef is making one item at a time for you, of whatever they deem to be the best stuff of the day. Not necessarily formal, but a much more intimate setting. The higher end places will for sure require a reservation well in advance. Price can range $100-300 per person.

In between those extremes are restaurants probably more conventional with ordering off a menu. Pretty sure there's a place in Kitchen Street, Tokyo Station, but I didn't check it out. I did go for an omakase dinner at Sushi Ginza Onodera, recommended by the TSH concierege, and was very happy with it. Not cheap though!
Old Nov 14, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by od_sf
Agreed, TSH is very Japanese, especially in service - in the best possible way. True omotenashi.

TSH is indeed a member of "Small Luxury Hotels of the World" so it can be booked on Hyatt points now, at 25K points per night for their station-facing atrium rooms. But availability on points is typically not good. Personally, I don't think it is a great points redemption anyways, since various room types are often available in the $250 to $350 range.

TSH is also part of "The Hotel Collection", so room upgrade when available + $100 in hotel credit per stay if booked via Amex travel.
IIRC Hotel Collections bookings require a two night stay to get the F&B credit or whatever the amenity is. Also, they *might* be prepaid and *might* not qualify for elite benefits/points/nights credit. [Itried to investigate this in the context of two HR bookings in Asia about a year ago and decided not to take the risk as I could get rates through Hyatt (probably AAA but maybe the refundable member rate plan) that made the deal almost equivalent to paying the higher price and getting the F&B credits. No one at PTS could convincingly reassure me that I would get my Hyatt benefits, in contrast to the FHR case.]
Old Nov 14, 2019, 1:59 pm

High-quality good to excellent food is absolutely abundant in Tokyo; service is great - and no tipping.

Price isn't necessarily a qualifier either - I've had excellent food for 1000-2000 Y. Kobe beef portions may be small to westerners but will be extremely flavorful & tasty.

Also understand that Tokyo station isn't just a train station, but more like a shopping mall with major food court areas and so on, with trains mixed in. It is a huge complex with many floors.

Given 15-20 minutes you can walk from Tokyo station to Ginza - it's not all that far away.
Admiral Ackbar and jerseytom like this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 3:05 pm

While Tokyo is a big city, if you stay in Ginza, Hibiya, or near Tokyo Station, you are within walking distance of so many cool things to see:

Gardens, parks and Imperial Palace.
Funky architecture in Ginza.
More traditional architecture with Kabuki theater and shrines and temples in the area.
Pokemon Center DX if that is in your wheelhouse.
Even the underground shopping arcade in Tokyo Station is something to behold.

Just tell us what types of things you are interested in and we can load you up with suggestions. A few months back I managed to fit in an anime pop-up exhibit, a trip to a convenience store (more fun than it sounds), and time to shop at the Pokemon Center and Tokyo Station in a 7-hour layover. I wouldn't recommend you do that, but the point is that you can cram a lot into 24 hours!
Old Nov 14, 2019, 3:07 pm

I highly recommend going to the basement food hall of a major Japanese department store. There are some good ones in Ginza. It's fun to be at the door at opening time when all the staff line up to bow to the customers.
angra and whipwhitaker like this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 5:27 pm

For a very casual and cheap food experience near Tokyo station, go to the yakatori under the tracks street for grilled chicken and beer. These places are very popular with Japanese salarymen in nearby office buildings for after work happy hour, although OP will be in Tokyo on a Sunday night.
I just did the yakatori under the tracks near Tokyo Station thing last month. Agree that it is an authentic Tokyo experience. Just be warned that most of those salary men will be smoking cigarettes with their yakatori and beer and the smoke can get quite thick.

Also, +1 for Tokyo Station Hotel. A very convenient location, great room, and fantastic service even by very high Japanese standards.
MSPeconomist and Mizunara like this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 10:02 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I just checked the TSH, which is $404 for that night. Can anyone comment on either the
Daiwa Roynet Hotel Ginza

We recently stayed at the Mitsui Garden Hotel Kyobashi. It's less than a ten minutes walk from Tokyo Station and Ginza. A modern and clean hotel with friendly and efficient staff. Depending on the date, rates are as low as $170.

Sushi Iwa in Ginza is amazing, albeit expensive, and has a Michelin star. It is approximately a fifteen to twenty minutes walk from the Mitsui Garden Hotel Kyobashi hotel.
whipwhitaker likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Amex Plat, CSR
Originally Posted by TWA884
We recently stayed at the Mitsui Garden Hotel Kyobashi. It's less than a ten minutes walk from Tokyo Station and Ginza. A modern and clean hotel with friendly and efficient staff. Depending on the date, rates are as low as $170.

Sushi Iwa in Ginza is amazing, albeit expensive, and has a Michelin star. It is approximately a fifteen to twenty minutes walk from the Mitsui Garden Hotel Kyobashi hotel.
Great suggestion on the hotel, thank you. It's $160 incl. tax for that night, free cancellation until 2 days before arrival. It's in the bag!
Old Nov 15, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Southwest, HHonors, National

There's a steak restaurant in one of the basement shopping complexes that I really like. It serves Yonezawa beef, a beef brand from Yamagata prefecture in northern Japan. Not sure how true this is, maybe more informed forum members might now, but its considered as one of the most famous along with Kobe and Matsusaka. Anyway, I had a very good dinner there. I'd recommend doing reservations through your hotel concierge if going for dinner. Can't speak for how busy lunch is though.
If you're interested in tasting Japanese Kit-Kats as well as regional Japanese food items, visit Shokoku Gotochi Plaza. Also in Tokyo Station, its in the underground mall, across from Tokyo Ramen Street.

Last edited by Gradfly; Nov 15, 2019 at 11:00 am Reason: Additional Information
Old Nov 15, 2019, 12:34 pm

Daiwa Roynet Hotel Ginza

Note these 3 hotels have very limited concierge services and they will not assist with restaurant bookings until after you have checked in, which rules out being able to secure a reservation at most of the top sushi or steak restaurants.

How much are you looking to spend on sushi and/or steak?

You can book Sushi Ginza Iwa 815 on your own via Tablecheck here: https://www.tablecheck.com/en/shops/...wa-815/reserve
The lunch set at Y13,000 is a great value.
whipwhitaker likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Amex Plat, CSR
Originally Posted by od_sf
Note these 3 hotels have very limited concierge services and they will not assist with restaurant bookings until after you have checked in, which rules out being able to secure a reservation at most of the top sushi or steak restaurants.

How much are you looking to spend on sushi and/or steak?

You can book Sushi Ginza Iwa 815 on your own via Tablecheck here: https://www.tablecheck.com/en/shops/...wa-815/reserve
The lunch set at Y13,000 is a great value.
Super helpful, thanks. Apparently the restaurant is closed the Monday of my departure, so I think I’m going to book it for dinner Sunday night. ¥27,000 sounds steep but when in “Rome”, right?

Alternatively, if I wanted to get conveyor belt sushi for lunch on Monday, what steak restaurants would be recommended for the ¥27K budget?
Old Nov 15, 2019, 1:35 pm

It's not near Ginza/Tokyo Station, but New York Grill at the top of the Park Hyatt would have very good steak for this price. Besides Kobe, they have a range of other special steaks grown in different regions of Japan and are good at explaining the differences (in excellent English). However, other than the steak, it's not a particularly Japanese restaurant IMO.
whipwhitaker likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.