Reload this Page >

24h layover in Tokyo - worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

24h layover in Tokyo - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2019, 7:17 am

You will love Tokyo. If you are on a budget, I can recommend the IBIS a couple of blocks from Shinjuku Station.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 8:19 am

If OP is going for 1K, then one would hope the budget isn't too tight...

Hilton Shinjuku is a nice joint, completely serviceable. I like the idea of the Tokyo Station hotel as well, but I had the idea that was a tad pricey. Also depends on what hotel programs you're enrolled in,

Also for the OP - I believe UA has the same "loophole" as AA does of getting as many miles and potentially many more dollars credited to you when you fly qualifying PE fares on partners.

For transpac, you would generally get a high level of service as well, especially from Asian carriers.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by smithrh
Hilton Shinjuku is a nice joint, completely serviceable. I like the idea of the Tokyo Station hotel as well, but I had the idea that was a tad pricey.
The entry level room at Tokyo Station Hotel (City View Queen) can often be booked for around $250 + tax and fees, so roughly the same price range as the Hitlon, and having stayed at both I can confirm that TSH is a superior hotel in nearly every way.

Also, if OP wants to taste really amazing sushi, Ginza will offer many more options than Shinjuku, which is a bit of a "no man's land" for high end sushiya.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat, UA Silver, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by whipwhitaker
Actually I didn’t know that I’m not a big fan of sushi rolls to begin with, I usually go with nigiri and sashimi. And frankly, I’m excited to see what the real sushi looks and tastes like (so long as it has raw fish in it)!
A proper conveyor belt sushi or kaiten restaurant might be the way to go if you can squeeze it in. The experience itself is great. There’s usually a two level conveyor system with one line for made to order items delivered directly to your seat (you typically use a touchscreen to order). I’m getting hungry thinking about it.
sushanna1 and whipwhitaker like this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by od_sf
The entry level room at Tokyo Station Hotel (City View Queen) can often be booked for around $250 + tax and fees, so roughly the same price range as the Hitlon, and having stayed at both I can confirm that TSH is a superior hotel in nearly every way.

Also, if OP wants to taste really amazing sushi, Ginza will offer many more options than Shinjuku, which is a bit of a "no man's land" for high end sushiya.

Good to know about TSH - I'm now officially tempted to give it a whirl.

Shinjuku area (east of the station) has that "over-the-top in Japan" vibe that I'm entirely sure you'll get in Ginza, but if OP values sushi over that experience, then that's the right move for sure.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: AA, Amex
+1 on TSH from me. Obviously a super convenient location. Great concierge. Great breakfast too!

Easy enough to stay there and pop over to Ginza for a great omakase experience. Just remember to not get on the Marunouchi line going the wrong way, leaving you sprinting through Ginza to get to your reservation on time. Ask me how I know
Old Nov 14, 2019, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An internet acquaintance has been writing up a mini series on Christmas cakes and patisserie. She made an entry on some of the cakes from the Tokyo Station Hotel.

https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/chr...G&__tn__=*NK-R

Patisserie and cakes feature VERY highly on my own essential things to do/eat when in Tokyo.
Shi likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Amex Plat, CSR
Originally Posted by smithrh
If OP is going for 1K, then one would hope the budget isn't too tight...

Hilton Shinjuku is a nice joint, completely serviceable. I like the idea of the Tokyo Station hotel as well, but I had the idea that was a tad pricey. Also depends on what hotel programs you're enrolled in,

Also for the OP - I believe UA has the same "loophole" as AA does of getting as many miles and potentially many more dollars credited to you when you fly qualifying PE fares on partners.

For transpac, you would generally get a high level of service as well, especially from Asian carriers.
I was actually eyeballing the Hilton since it’s close to Shinjuku. I am Gold with HHonors and Bonvoy, but it looks like there are no (affordable) Marriott options close to either Tokyo or Shinjuku stations.

I am actually flying UA metal, using the 2 GPU that I have left for this year (which both cleared into Polaris already). Happened to be the cheapest upgradeable fare with the PQM/PQD output I was looking for
Old Nov 14, 2019, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was actually eyeballing the Hilton since it’s close to Shinjuku. I am Gold with HHonors and Bonvoy, but it looks like there are no (affordable) Marriott options close to either Tokyo or Shinjuku stations.
You can stay at the Marriott close to Shinagawa station (or the much cheaper Sheraton Miyako close to Shirokanedai) Sure, both of those immediate areas are a bit dead at night, but you can easily take a taxi to the Tokyo station area (or raucous Roppongi, or the more sedate but still lively Azabu Juban) for about 2,000yen. Shinagawa isn’t that far from Tokyo station (under 5 miles), Shirokanedai is closer still to Tokyo station and to Azabu Juban/Roppongi.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I am Gold with HHonors and Bonvoy, but it looks like there are no (affordable) Marriott options close to either Tokyo or Shinjuku stations.
If you want to stay at Hilton brands or Marriott brands in central Tokyo area then there is not much of affordable options. There are Courtyard at Tokyo station and Ginza but those can easily be above US$200 and often above $300. If you are looking for affordable lodging options at central Tokyo area then unfortunately options will be non-U.S./European hotels brands.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by LapLap
You can stay at the Marriott close to Shinagawa station (or the much cheaper Sheraton Miyako close to Shirokanedai) Sure, both of those immediate areas are a bit dead at night, but you can easily take a taxi to the Tokyo station area (or raucous Roppongi, or the more sedate but still lively Azabu Juban) for about 2,000yen. Shinagawa isn’t that far from Tokyo station (under 5 miles), Shirokanedai is closer still to Tokyo station and to Azabu Juban/Roppongi.
And plus, staying at the Sheraton Miyako allows you to travel back in time about 30 years, at no additional charge!
Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

The Tokyo Station Hotel is gorgeous. It's historic and to me feels more Japanese than many of the other Tokyo hotels, especially in this price range. Unfortunately it's often full.

IIRC it's loosely affiliated with Hyatt, perhaps as a Small Luxury Hotel. It might also be available via FHR, Virtuoso, etc.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And plus, staying at the Sheraton Miyako allows you to travel back in time about 30 years, at no additional charge!
Yeah, I see the dated pre-fab bathrooms as the main reason this hotel is more affordable than the other Marriott family hotels. But the beds are comfortable and the lounge areas offer the best aspects of luxury hostelry 30 years ago. What sets this property apart are the gardens which are glorious (and partly illuminated in the late evenings). It’s these gardens that really sell this place to me as decent base for an un-extravagant, time pressed traveller. They provide something wonderfully Japanese that the Hilton just doesn’t offer.
Necessary to factor in the 2,000yen taxi fare back from (I’d suggest) Azabu Juban when budgeting for this hotel. The immediate surroundings really do offer very little when it comes to evening entertainment. The hotel itself is pretty popular, there is a genuinely delightful atmosphere in those “classic” lounges.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Amex Plat, CSR
I just checked the TSH, which is $404 for that night. Can anyone comment on either the
Daiwa Roynet Hotel Ginza
Hotel The Celestine Ginza
Mitsui Garden Hotel Ginza. ??

Also, any sushi or Kobe steak recommendations in Ginza / Tokyo station (or anywhere else) are greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys! I’m getting excited
Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Another Marriott choice for gardens would be one of the Prince properties that are co-located on the hill near Shinagawa station, but again I don't think there's much else of interest in the immediate vicinity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.