Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Daily budget

Daily budget

Old Sep 12, 19, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Daily budget

Do you find your personal experiences matching these daily budgets, in the ballpark of course? Note that the numbers exclude transportation.

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2410.html

Especially interested to hear from the solo travelers, with medium budget, for 2 to 3 weeks. Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 12, 19, 11:11 am

I did a solo trip for 16 days in Nov, going between tokyo-kanazawa-hakata--hiroshima-kansai(Osaka/Kyoto/Nara)-matsumoto-nikko-tokyo. Maimized use of 2week JR, wanted to see sumo in hakata

Stayed in capsule hotel (wanted to try it out) and business hotels (lower budget)

The budget on site is accurate. Was aiming for sub3000yen capsule and sub9000 business hotels. Harder to find it in Kyoto/tokyo (had to go to 12000)

Food wise, there's a huge spectrum and variety of good food. I would recommend to lose weight before trip and increase budget for that, eat everything
trooper and polyesther like this.

Last edited by paperwastage; Sep 12, 19 at 11:33 am
Old Sep 12, 19, 11:44 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by getmethere View Post
Do you find your personal experiences matching these daily budgets, in the ballpark of course?
Yes.

However accommodation in Tokyo on weekends can be costly - can be 2X the Sunday rate which is lowest of the week. Same for Kyoto in November (foliage season). The stated max of 12,000 single (medium budget) could be problematic. You can however book now with free cancellation and see if you can find something.
Old Sep 12, 19, 2:50 pm

DELETED

Last edited by CrazyInteg; Sep 30, 19 at 7:22 am
Old Sep 13, 19, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses.

I'm more picky about food than about lodging :-) And spend accordingly.
Old Sep 13, 19, 3:41 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
We spent 7 days in Japan, brought 90000 yen and brought back 40000, one hotel paid 12000 in cash, others were points or prepaid / AirBnB. So about 2700 per day including transportation and 2.5 meals (not all hotels had breakfast). We weren't trying to spend little, as evidenced by the budget, but that's what happened.
polyesther likes this.
Old Sep 13, 19, 7:53 pm

That depends on your tastes, then. A picky eater could mean plain onigiri and burgers vs high end sushi and French food. Tabelog.com lists price ranges. 2300-5000 JPY daily average for meals is entirely possible, especially if included business hotel breakfast is sufficient, but if you are planning gourmet expensive food daily then likely won't be enough. If you're more into B-kyu then it should be.
ksandness likes this.
Old Sep 13, 19, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's not that hard to spend close to US$500 per person for dinner in a top gourmet sushi or steak place in Japan (or traditional multicourse seasonal dinner in Kyoto) and US$100 for a normal sit down restaurant with wine (fish, tempura, etc.).....or you can spend less than US$10 for a very simple meal such as noodles or street food. US chain fast food tends to cost more than the same items in the USA IME. It's such a wide range that I would argue that you can spend almost whatever you want on food in Tokyo/Japan.
estnet likes this.
Old Sep 14, 19, 9:37 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime PE, AC Altitude SE100K-1MM
I think the budget guide is not too far off.
If you put more emphasis on the food, but less on the lodging (i.e., if you're OK to stay in a capsule hotel for example), it'll balance out.
You have such a range of choices of food in Japan, many of which are really good quality regardless of price. Cheap does not = bad in Japan if you do some research on where to dine.
When I was there, I ate at both high end and low end places but always ate very well. I think on average, for meals, you can spend $50USD per day; some days may cost only $20-25USD; others $100USD+ for a spectacular kaiseki dinner.
(Tip: go for lunches at the high-end sushi restos instead of dinner, and you'll still experience great food at a much more reasonable price.)
Old Sep 14, 19, 9:47 am

Programs: UA, NW
I agree with what the others have said. The hole-in-the-wall eateries often serve very good food for a low price. Budget hotels (<US$100 for a single) are plentiful, clean, and safe. You can get by for US$50-60 in small towns. These hotels have small rooms and a bath that looks as if it was carved out of a single block of plastic, but usually a bed, a desk, a TV, and a heater/air conditioner combination. Hair dryers and toiletries are usually supplied, there is often a modest breakfast included in the price, and many such hotels have onsite coin laundries (a feature I wish European hotels would add).

Once I've paid for the airfare and the train pass, I can keep my day-to-day expenses much lower than an in the U.S.

I think a lot of the horror stories about Japan being impossibly expensive come from two sources:
1. High-level business travelers who stay in 5-star hotels, eat in Michelin-rated restaurants, and take taxis everywhere
2. Backpackers who have just come from Indonesia and can't quite fathom the notion that there are fully industrialized, modern countries in Asia.
Old Sep 14, 19, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SteadyAT View Post
I think the budget guide is not too far off.
If you put more emphasis on the food, but less on the lodging (i.e., if you're OK to stay in a capsule hotel for example), it'll balance out.
That's what I meant by "more picky about food than about lodging".

Originally Posted by SteadyAT View Post
(Tip: go for lunches at the high-end sushi restos instead of dinner, and you'll still experience great food at a much more reasonable price.)
Thanks for the tip.
Old Sep 14, 19, 1:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Note that capsule hotels generally don't accept families with children. Many are male only. They're not an option for everyone.
ksandness likes this.
Old Sep 16, 19, 11:54 am
Original Poster

I won't be staying in capsule hotels, or in "adults only" hotels.
Old Sep 17, 19, 6:47 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
It is hard to generalize entire Japan as one hole thing, obviously it will be more expensive at a place like Tokyo and Osaka. If you spend time at country side then a cost will be lower. I agree with ksandness, I always tell people that if you keep the standard of your home country then it will cost more in Japan. If you go about like locals do in Tokyo then Tokyo can be a lot cheaper place than you think. That means if you insist of staying at a place like Hilton and Sheraton then a cost of lodging will be higher. Typical Japanese businessmen on a business trip to Tokyo do not stay at a hotel like Hilton, Hyatt, Sheraton, etc. Non-management Japanese business travelers on a business trip to Tokyo usually stay at business hotels, which has a room a lot smaller, beds smaller, and bathroom a lot smaller than Hilton, Sheraton, or Hyatt. But has to understand that is the standard in Japan. Cannot keep the standard of your back home and expect thing to be cheap in Japan.

Even here at FlyerTalk many ask about Michelin starred restaurants and best sushi restaurants in Tokyo, but average middle class Japanese in Tokyo do not eat at places like that. Even at a fancy shopping district at Ginza, all I have to do is step a block or two away from main street and walk along smaller side street and easily find mom and pop hole in the wall kind of a place. Here at FlyerTalk pretty much everybody talk about staying and having meals at the central area of Tokyo. Simply going out to suburb of Tokyo and can easily find stores and restaurants locals frequent, but those will be very different from "sushi and tempura" place you seen back home.

I tell visitors that do as locals do at Tokyo and cost can be surprisingly lower, but likely the lodging can be outside of your comfort zone and food will be nothing like what you have imagined from back home.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by AlwaysAisle; Sep 17, 19 at 6:53 am
Old Sep 19, 19, 12:28 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, GHA Black
Do you find your personal experiences matching these daily budgets, in the ballpark of course? Note that the numbers exclude transportation.
I would say that it really depends what you consider a low, medium, or high budget.

For example "Accommodation Medium budget" is 8,000 - 15,000 yen per double room and night. In Tokyo you'd be looking at business hotels like APA, (maybe including breakfast). Do you consider business hotels as "medium budget" accommodation? Some people might say 4-star hotels are medium, and 5-star / luxury ones are high.

"Dinner Medium budget" is 1000 - 2500 yen per day ... similar quandary. I'd personally consider maybe up to 10000 yen as medium budget, up to 20000 as high, and those 30k-50k places as luxury.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: