Search

Gluten-free udon & ramen

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
Gluten-free udon & ramen

Hi there,
Travelling to Japan soon and was wondering if there are any good places to try gluten-free udon and ramen noodles. No gluten allergy, but quite sensitive
Staying in Shinjuku area.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:54 am

I very much doubt there's any place like that.

Generally, I think people in Japan who have celiac disease simply eat any of the thousands of other delicious foods that don't contain gluten.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’d be keen on exploring the delights of pure buckwheat noodles in your shoes.

If you’re interested in delving into soba I’d be happy to look into a few options for you.

Otherwise, there is this place near Tokyo station
https://tabelog.com/en/tokyo/A1302/A130201/13183558/
kaka likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:35 am

Little Bird cafe seems to be the go to place for gluten free (including ramen), with a celiac chef. We haven’t been yet, but may try to stop by this Summer.

Here are a couple sites I found the most useful when researching previously:

https://trulytokyo.com/gluten-free-tokyo/
https://www.legalnomads.com/gluten-free/japan/
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA, NW
I'm a Japanese-English translator, and I am currently translating a lot of tourism-related materials, most likely in anticipation of the Olympics. The current set I'm working on is called "Health Care," but rather than being an explanation about how to find a doctor, it's a listing of vegetarian, vegan, Buddhist vegetarian, organic, and other non-standard restaurants in Tokyo. A few of them claim to be either gluten-free or able to accommodate gluten-sensitive people. By the time you get to Japan, the list may be published.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
??????????? - ??????????

Gluten-free Ramen 950yen

They use Miso sauce without gluten. Ingredients: carrots, bean sprouts, onions, sauerkraut, pork Confit (low temperature cooking), Sieben (special spices from Frankfurt) Soup stock: Chicken stock and Pork stock Noodles: rice noodles (straight) ※If you want to have Gluten-free vegetarian Ramen, please ask staff. We are fine to cook.

5 gluten free restaurants in Tokyo

https://wow-j.com/jp/Allguides/tokyo/food/01643_jp/

Last edited by beep88; Mar 17, 2019 at 10:21 pm
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:39 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LapLap
I’d be keen on exploring the delights of pure buckwheat noodles in your shoes.

If you’re interested in delving into soba I’d be happy to look into a few options for you.

Otherwise, there is this place near Tokyo station
https://tabelog.com/en/tokyo/A1302/A130201/13183558/
i think i've asked before but how about the soup/dipping sauce?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kaka
i think i've asked before but how about the soup/dipping sauce?
OP isn’t allergic to wheat, just sensitive. Gave no indication that the small amounts of wheat in soy sauce used in soba dashi would be a problem. Perhaps the fermentation process means there is no sensitivity, I don’t know. But the small amount of fermented wheat used in a soba dish is a fraction of what a bowl of ramen or udon would contain.

I’m not going to go into researching options where non-wheat soba-dashi is used unless a genuine request is made.

Edit to add - just checked, kaka. Can see no sign of you having asked before.
We do have a soba thread that you contributed to, but not about this subject
Favorite soba/udon dish
kaka likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:37 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LapLap
OP isn’t allergic to wheat, just sensitive. Gave no indication that the small amounts of wheat in soy sauce used in soba dashi would be a problem. Perhaps the fermentation process means there is no sensitivity, I don’t know. But the small amount of fermented wheat used in a soba dish is a fraction of what a bowl of ramen or udon would contain.

I’m not going to go into researching options where non-wheat soba-dashi is used unless a genuine request is made.

Edit to add - just checked, kaka. Can see no sign of you having asked before.
We do have a soba thread that you contributed to, but not about this subject
Favorite soba/udon dish
might have been at somewhere else (even outside of FT). I'd just be curious how would it be dealt with in the japanese culinary world. I guess it could be dealt with with chicken/fish soup stock.

My mom has started looking into non-wheat/gluten-free options lately but it has nothing to do with dietary requirement, more like an interest. so that got me curious.

but yeh, Soba would be a good change of things to keep gluten low - esp the pure buckwheat form which is quite common at the nicer establishments.

Last edited by kaka; Mar 12, 2019 at 5:46 am
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kaka
might have been at somewhere else (even outside of FT). I'd just be curious how would it be dealt with in the japanese culinary world. I guess it could be dealt with with chicken/fish soup stock.

My mom has started looking into non-wheat/gluten-free options lately but it has nothing to do with dietary requirement, more like an interest. so that got me curious.

but yeh, Soba would be a good change of things to keep gluten low - esp the pure buckwheat form which is quite common at the nicer establishments.
Wheat/gluten in soy sauce is broken down during the process of fermentation. Unfortunately, this still affects those with coeliac disease or who are highly allergic/intolerant to gluten. Those with gluten insensitivity are unlikely to be affected.
Thankfully, mentsuyu (dipping or soup sauce) is relatively easy to make at home. There are no end of different recipes and combinations (often soy sauce, mirin, sake, sugar and dashi - or dashi ingredients; shaved katsuobushi or dried shiitake for vegans and konbu) but it’s easy enough to substitute gluten free tamari for soy sauce/shoyu.
Some recipes just require that you combine ingredients rather than cook them.
kaka likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.